General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Straight Talk?

They're the worst.
    Stangmar - Retired

• As if this week hasn't been shitty enough, my mom just told me that the dog I grew up with just passed away.  :-<

God damn it I loved that dog. Here come the waterworks.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Stupid Windows.

All of a sudden, a week, ago, the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, which as far as I can tell doesn't actually do anything useful, goes batshit crazy on my wife's laptop and disconnects it from the internet. Nothing at all works to fix it. End up doing system restore.

It connects to the internet again, but now IE is the only browser that can, Norton 360 is busted, the sidebar is gone, and I'm still trying to figure out what's going on.

Stupid windows.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    Stupid Windows.

All of a sudden, a week, ago, the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter, which as far as I can tell doesn't actually do anything useful, goes batshit crazy on my wife's laptop and disconnects it from the internet. Nothing at all works to fix it. End up doing system restore.

It connects to the internet again, but now IE is the only browser that can, Norton 360 is busted, the sidebar is gone, and I'm still trying to figure out what's going on.

Stupid windows.
    Found your problem.

On a more serious note, check your own computer. Antivirus going haywire and random stuff breaking down could be the sign of a worm / virus infection. Could be on any removable media too. But yeah seriously, eff Norton. Windows Defender actually is one of the few amazing things that came out of Microsoft. They got that extra leg up with not needing to use OS hooks. It's remarkably unintuitive and just works.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • So...what's the difference between functioning Norton 360 and busted Norton 360?  I feel like busted could only be better.

Stangmar - Retired

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I keep telling her to get rid of Norton. I have hated Norton/Symantec since day one in college, where you were required to have the IT people put it on when they set up your computer to go through the firewall. I got rid of it as soon as possible. I can't understand why she likes it, when all it ever does is give her problems.

Now, of course, it's busted to the point where it can't uninstall itself. Any application that breaks so often that the corporation behind it actually has a downloadable, separate program to remove it, is trouble.

I have no trouble on my computer. I rarely use the Windows side, and the Linux side only breaks when I meddle with it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • @Everiine: Try to get rid of it by any means. Tell your wife you will reinstall it but you need it gone to see if it is the problem as you are running out of options. If she still refuses, well that is where you throw your hands up and admit defeat until she lets you fix things.

As for me, I am going back to work tomorrow after three weeks of absence. They passed way too fast :( I didn't get the job I interviewed for, but they at least told me what to improve (technical knowledge). I generally have a good idea how to go from where I am to where I want to be, especially now I have finished the career coaching track which was super useful. So all in all things are not looking too bad. But for some reason I absolutely dread tomorrow and no matter how much I try to say "It's just feelings, don't get caught up in them" my motivation to do -anything- just bombed hard since last night. Even in Lusternia today just struggled to focus on anything. Hate that feeling, makes me feel like I am wasting precious time which only makes matters worse. Blergh :(
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • Everiine said:
    I keep telling her to get rid of Norton. I have hated Norton/Symantec since day one in college, where you were required to have the IT people put it on when they set up your computer to go through the firewall. I got rid of it as soon as possible. I can't understand why she likes it, when all it ever does is give her problems.

Now, of course, it's busted to the point where it can't uninstall itself. Any application that breaks so often that the corporation behind it actually has a downloadable, separate program to remove it, is trouble.

I have no trouble on my computer. I rarely use the Windows side, and the Linux side only breaks when I meddle with it.
     CCleaner might remove it.

To everyone: Sorry.
  • edited August 2014
    drama-queens that take the term "that god-character is dead" as meaning he/she actually passed away in the game (in an ooc clan mind you).... then make a huge scene about it, arguing that they arent and that they saw them not long ago (A god that has been inactive for months). After they make it clear they took the meaning as them having died in the game...I point out that such a thing would have been in an event post and that it was a figure of speech used for when a God is no longer around....which leads to me having to quit the clan and then being enemied to it...really? These people exist? Got to pick friends better.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    NRT does, however, do a great job of taking Norton off.  Don't worry about matching whatever version to whatever version.  Just download the latest one and run it and it strips it off just fine has been my experience.
  • This weeks leading up to the DC meet is just utter shit.. there is no other words for it.. its like.. fate itself does not want me to go but I am not giving up yet.. :( this past weekend I had a very painful stomach bug that almost sent me to the ER. Recovering from that. I get a call about an hour ago from my mom in Missouri that my grandpa has died so.. I am going to be leaving tomorrow  and driving to Missouri to be with my family and then leaving Friday to make it back for the meet on Saturday. Already have the hotel booked for that, is non refundable and the others cannot checkin without me, so I really do not want to let people down or to waste money =\ crazy crazy times and lots and lots of traveling in the next few days.
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    And the medical bills for the wife's three week hospital stay and the new baby's three week hospital stay start pouring in.
  • Tarkenton said:
    And the medical bills for the wife's three week hospital stay and the new baby's three week hospital stay start pouring in.
    I knew you guys were expecting but must have missed the birth announcement.  Belated congratulations.  

Medical bills suck.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Stangmar said:
    RIP Robin Williams.
    I grew up absolutely falling in love with drama. I wanted to be like two guys, Jim Carrey and Robin Williams.

I can't even put into words how sad I am at this.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• I admit the disagree to the above post is slightly comical and worrisome.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited August 2014
    Arcanis said:
    I admit the disagree to the above post is slightly comical and worrisome.
    *shrug* They can believe what they want, but I hold quite firmly to this belief, especially since my own father committed suicide nearly 20 years ago now after dealing with depression, despite the fact that he was surrounded by people that loved and cared for him and would have supported him every way we possibly could and still mourn his passing even to this day.

If anyone ever seeks me out for a listening ear, I will always help unreservedly.  I know what it is like to feel like you are alone, like you have no one to talk to - probably the hardest time in my life was around 14 years ago when for the better part of 6 months I was completely homeless, living on the streets, sleeping at internet cafes, doing odd jobs to feed myself.  Yet with the support and persistance of my family, I was able to pull myself together and not long afterwards managed to secure a job which I held after that point for nearly 6 years (My job as a bus driver)
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Staying with a friend... her in-laws just left this morning after a week long visit, and this afternoon six more people are visiting... it's almost as if she LIKES having people around. :(
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Kethaera said:
    Staying with a friend... her in-laws just left this morning after a week long visit, and this afternoon six more people are visiting... it's almost as if she LIKES having people around. :(
    Stangmar - Retired

• Discovered that in like 80% of the cases a property in our code gets filled with the wrong data. The property is supposed to be the total count of items in an unfiltered query but in most cases got filled with the count of the filtered one. Hence it seemed like most of our paged dataviews had only one page. Which never came to light because we have little test data and it never reaches the page limit. Of course I am the one discovering it and having to break it to the team. Everyone but the lead dev was doing it wrong. So lead dev is mad of course. Rightly so, too. I suggested that at least it is good it came to light now. Didn't cheer him up. But I will fix it and pride myself on finding such a huge mistake, and that I was not alone in my failing >_>
  • Does anybody else find themselves all too often having to explain to their friends why it's not a good idea to join an MLM? 

SMH
    Stangmar - Retired

• what's a MLM
  • Multi-level marketing. See also: pyramid scheme.
  • Marcella said:
    what's a MLM
    Do you have annoying friends that post about fringe products on FB?  Click here to find out about these oils/supplements/drinks that Big Pharma don't want you to know about! Lose weight, decrease the risk of heart disease, bring Kurt Cobain back from the dead, etc?

That's because they've been brainwashed by MLMs into thinking that they can make over $20,000 a month annoying their friends on Facebook by peddling products that are typically useless.  They use tons of buzzwords and cult-ish hype.  It's always a secret that you're being let in on.  Control your future, don't be a slave to the 9-5 job, etc.

The distribution system is more controversial than the products themselves.  Products are sold by independent distributors(you) who are recruited by other distributors(your annoying friend on FB), who gets a % of all your sales + a referral bonus.  In turn you get a bonus and a % of the sales of all of your recruits(often called downlines).  The focus becomes more about recruiting distributors, who pay fees to the company.  The money usually concentrates to the top, while the downlines see maybe $50-100 in a good month. Usually they take a loss, can't sell the product, and end up just consuming it themselves(as they are required to keep ordering it). 

Stangmar - Retired

• I know someone who got into the Herbalife sales thing. Glad he got out. I still get flyers in the mail from time to time. Stupid pyramid junk. Their products are crap too. If you want to do protein shakes make your own or buy them at a sports store. Cheaper too. 
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    I had a friend who nearly got caught in a pyramid scheme, but was able to talk him from committing. I have at least 2 former classmates who are in two, but I don't expect anything I say to convince them of the truth.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Neos said:
    I had a friend who nearly got caught in a pyramid scheme, but was able to talk him from committing. I have at least 2 former classmates who are in two, but I don't expect anything I say to convince them of the truth.
    Once they're in man.....
    MLM's are fuckin cults.  No other way around it.  You can't argue with somebody who has been thoroughly convinced that YOU are the one who's being scammed.
    Stangmar - Retired

• So my boyfriend's sister was murdered. Her husband beat her and his mother to death with a hammer and then jumped off a bridge.

The police haven't even released the bodies yet and they are already fighting over funeral arrangements. For the record, no, it's not ok to bury a woman with the man who murdered her. It's just not.

And if that wasn't enough fun, I just got back from the Dr. and I have strep throat. So that's a big F U to my weekend. 

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Jesus christ, there aren't words of comfort here, but for what it's worth, I'm sorry.

I hope that the family realises they need each other at this time, and that any argument is out of irrational behaviour through grief. I can only hope there's answers to people's questions, and that they can all come together and do what's best for everyone.

Also I hope your strep clears up as soon as possible, I know that seems minor compared to the rest, but it's another layer of shit you don't need, so I hope it's gone soon.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!