Simple Ideas

Comments

• Looking at the Exceptional & Ultimate Presents list, I see some things that would personally turn my hair white if I so unluckily 'won' from having gotten something as rare (for those that havent opened 100+ presents) as an exceptional present, or the 1 time win before reset of an Ultimate.

Exceptional:

Could these following items be moved down to Superior? They just dont compare to the other items in Exceptional and feel more like a loss than an actual win:

- Leprechaun Pot Crate
    - Marionette Crate
    - A pack of 25 ikons
    - Package containing 25 magic-item curios
    - Package containing 25 damage resist curios
    - Package containing 25 damage enhancement curios
    - Package containing 25 travel curios
    - Package containing 25 Vivid hair curio
    - Package containing 25 Exotic hair curio
    - Package containing 25 Posh hair curio
    - Package containing 25 Fine hair curio
    - Leprechaun Poteen crate
    - Red Heart Crate
    - Commodities & Liquids (Both of which are at 11% rate of winning....why so cruel??)

Ultimate:

- Wakabidrome Tickets (This should most definitely -not- be an ultimate gift. The idea that someone finally wins their ultimate, to only get tickets, before their present counter resets, is a depressing thought).
    - Element plane rings (I'd suggest moving these down to exceptional, as they are pretty situational and it the only real element of use would be getting the water one)
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    The wind one works for the Cloud Maelstrom, and the Earth one works for mountain tremors on Prime (which they sometimes turn on during events).  So they do have some other use too!
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    I would really love to see more varied quest rewards, even it's a one time thing. Quests giving curios is always cheerful, but quests giving a temporary health blessing? It's kind of neat, but the next net hiccup will take it from me :-/ Also, I feel like nearly every difficult quest so far had a health blessing at the end. I don't know, a collectible, some toys, whatever. Doesn't need to be anything super fancy or even super useful, just, you know. And writing this I kind of feel I wrote it before :/
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Health blessings usually last through logout, disconnection, and even death.
  • Aeldra said:
    I would really love to see more varied quest rewards, even it's a one time thing. Quests giving curios is always cheerful, but quests giving a temporary health blessing? It's kind of neat, but the next net hiccup will take it from me :-/ Also, I feel like nearly every difficult quest so far had a health blessing at the end. I don't know, a collectible, some toys, whatever. Doesn't need to be anything super fancy or even super useful, just, you know. And writing this I kind of feel I wrote it before :/
    If you have suggestions on different quest rewards, we'd love to hear them! It is difficult to balance quest rewards between things that are cool but not useful, thus making people annoyed that its "all they got" and things that are useful but boring. I thought we had a cool thing when we did the Vesteran artifact that teleports you to a safe room as a quest reward but I've never heard any positive feedback about it!

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    What quest is that?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The single use ring you get from the Waste Facility.

It would probably be more useful if it was more than a single use.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.

• Zvoltz said:
    Aeldra said:
    If you have suggestions on different quest rewards, we'd love to hear them! It is difficult to balance quest rewards between things that are cool but not useful, thus making people annoyed that its "all they got" and things that are useful but boring. I thought we had a cool thing when we did the Vesteran artifact that teleports you to a safe room as a quest reward but I've never heard any positive feedback about it!
    That's the Gutter quest right? You probably don't hear much feedback on it, on account of the quest being long and requiring a lot of health to be doable on your own.

I still wish that there could be one time collectible souvenirs when you complete some honours quests. Like the teddy bear from the recent scavenger hunt. Some tiny item that serves as a memento of the adventure you had around the quest.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I have never heard of this quest reward, @Zvoltz. Is it from the emerald aegis quest, I'm guessing?

But as for suggestions:

I really like quest curios. Like, a lot. Quest curios are best curios. More specifically, I think it'd be pretty cool if there was a set of quest curios where each one gave a boost to one type of influence attack (maybe having the whole set gives it to revolt influencing?) Could do it as a set for village quests. I'd like to see a UV quest curio set too, but I dunno what powers to give it since there are those retired UVbix artifacts. 

Quests that create beasts are cool. I haven't done Xeeth yet, but that's only because I haven't worked out all of the puzzles. I've probably put more thought into working it out than any other quest at this point, and that is only because I want to make myself an eaf.

You could put more variety into the blessings, especially now that most things have moved over to the X/Y buff system. Buff different damage types/resistances or whatever instead of just h/m/e. I think the gulagoyle quest does this already for divinus resistance. Do it with a wider variety of things.

Temporary artifact that changes your damage type on bashing attacks would be cool. Do a quest in an area where everything is weak to poison, get a thing you can use to bash with poison damage for a few days.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Zvoltz mentions the very quest that saw his return to the basin :D  #LoreNerd

And I admit, I have only done the sealing of the zombies of the gutter quest. I have never done the releasing of them for RP reasons. I'd have to basically be working against the viscanti guards assigned to keep the place locked down.
  • edited October 2015
    As for other quest rewards, here are some suggestions, though I assume several would be rejected for admin reasons:

- Goop (one can dream). I think this would be a great reward for aether quests, since aethergoop is connected to that realm

- Temporary Artifacts/pets: This is actually a great reward, examples like the Crown of D'varsha and Golden Frei, are really flavorful and fun rewards to gain. They dont all have to be the power level of the Crown, could be something as simple as a ring that gives you enhanced resistances for a time, from Tosha Monastery for example. Even the Asylum gem is a great reward

- Visions: While I know we currently have quite a set as is, Visions/Prophecies are always great for any player, and come to be quite handy during certain events.

- Books: Maybe not all will agree to this, but I adore books of Lore that are rewarded for doing certain quests. Things like the Lirangsha journals and the Scorpion Cavern journals are just amazing to read, and give you a lot of insight into Lusternia's past.

- Sticky Dingbats (one can dream)

- Tokens you can trade in for curio packages. 1 = simple package, 5 = medium, etc.

- A Present (one can dream)
    More epic quests would be great! I could see a UV epic

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Aren't the dark reaper and honored companion honors epic quests?
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
    Probably, but you don't get anything like the other epics, and the stat bonus isn't useful anymore

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Zvoltz said:
    Aeldra said:
    Collectibles that are not curios, please, @Zvoltz. :) I mean, you get a keg for completing that quest on Mount Wend, right?
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Shaddus said:
    The single use ring you get from the Waste Facility.

It would probably be more useful if it was more than a single use.
    It recharges after an hour and should last for around 6 hours.

• Hmm. "Permanent" one-use items like that might also have some worth. Of course, each person would only be able to have one item of each, and they wouldn't be able to be traded/given away. Perhaps also disable them during the final ascension (and other major world games).
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Generally, if you wanted to teleport away from combat, you already have enough ways to do it (or the item can't be hindered and is way OP). No one likes to unleash the gutter though - many of the orgs are basically locked out of the quest, and it penalizes players who use that road a lot. 
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Zvoltz Thank you for the reply.

Some ideas:
    - Statuettes that you can wear and carry or put up in your manse, maybe representing that particular quest you did.
    - Paintings. I would love to get an otherwise unobtainable painting to hang of a wall that shows a particular scenery relating to the quest. Could have same decay as a normal painting, so you would have to get a  new one every so often, but not constantly.
    - Pets similar to those of the poteen pot.
    - As already said, lore books.
    - unsual food/drink. Things like unusual tea brews would be really something interesting.
    - high decay bottles / glasses / cups (preferable only very seldom and limited designs / availability to not invalidate the skills making them)

I'll post more if I remember more of those I already had. All in all, I think it's good if it's not a health blessing and something that you can hold on to for a while (read longer then a weave).
    -
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • Something that lets you make freeform sculptures.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The problem with 'rare' paintings is that anyone who has a pastebin of something can make a painting of it. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Siam said:

Zvoltz said:

Aeldra said:

Collectibles that are not curios, please, @Zvoltz. :) I mean, you get a keg for completing that quest on Mount Wend, right?

If you mean the Merry Minstrel quest, no. You get a non decay cup that gives you Minstrel visions when you drink from it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Trinkets are cool. I'd enjoy say, something flavourful that you can wear for a while, and putting it on gives the blessing/buff whatever, and while you wear it, you get random ambients related to the item/quest. Or just ambients, I like ambients, or like a special cup or box or pin or bottle. Things you can use that are nifty toys. A jar of perfume that has a period wafting scent ambient!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Holiday wreaths, anyone?  Those things are awesome.
  • Arco was very popular for a time. I'm not sure why he dropped out of favour. Maybe I just don't see him because I don't often fight forestals.

The Meliashmora prizes ... well, the Spear is thematically fun, but awkward to use and pretty weak, plus the one-hour cooldown. The Helm is nice. There are a plethora of delivery options that render the eagle obsolete. They also last only twenty-four hours, which might seem like a while but you'll not have much play time there in exchange for an hour or two of work to unlock them.
  • Dont forget Aestra!
  • Arco's main problem is that his quest can only be initiated during the full moon *and* it is a quest that involves waiting several hours. I'm not surprised I don't see more of Arco, even though he's a really great escape tool, far better than the ring since he lasts a whole lot longer and provides cute ambients in the meantime.

As for Aestra. Getting into the Isle is a real pain, but if you've got the tools to get in then it's a good, short quest with a good reward.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Dont forget that trying to kill Morg's little avatar thing is painful
  • Could we have all Hair and Beard curios tagged as "hair" for the curio search engine? It makes it a pain to look through them and see what you have since they are considered of 'none' group. Not saying change the group, just to tag them as 'hair'.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I dunno if this has been suggested before, but some way to see what a curio's ambient is (without having to complete it and turn it on and wait) would be great.