Simple Ideas

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    When someone carves a totem or cuts it down, there should be an entry in the commune's power log.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    When someone carves a totem or cuts it down, there should be an entry in the commune's power log.

This would be very nice.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Not in the regular commune log, except maybe for elder chopping. That would get super spammy otherwise. Nobody wants to see Turnus has carved an elder x40 in the logs in one day.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Turnus said:
    Not in the regular commune log, except maybe for elder chopping. That would get super spammy otherwise. Nobody wants to see Turnus has carved an elder x40 in the logs in one day.
    He did say power log.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    I fail. Thought he said commune or power log.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I'd like to add an amendment to that, and also have the following in the power logs:

"A totem at #locationname has reverted."

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

Might as well just make it a seperate log tbh. Then we could Readlog trees or something like that.

Considering they generate power to their commune, it makes sense to keep them in the log, because you can simply powerlog 0 0 #keyword to search for any instances rather than having to go through all the spam.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• It logs the power provided by the totems each month. If this number is different from what it's supposed to be, you know that something has reverted or been chopped.

This strikes me as yet another another request that makes the game lazier. Druids (and commune residents in general) are supposed to be patrolling their forests and paying attention to these things as a normal activity. If tending trees is not an interesting occupation for you, perhaps you should consider playing in an org that doesn't have (m)any.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2014
    Tending trees is not an interesting occupation for anyone, any novelty wears off VERY fast. There is no participation or activity involved in totemcarving, just mindless sweeping with an automated system, or reading a list and pathing/aliasing a repetitive command for what amounts to a relatively small amount of power, compared to all the other passive power gains. It's not fun, it's never been fun.

EDIT: Not to mention, it's the only prime target worth hitting, ultimately punishing forests for the slightest slip-up in carving (like, not checking every midnight on the dot for reverted totems). This makes players feel guilty when they... participate in the rest of the game and someone with a chip on their shoulder runs in and chops a tree they missed.
  • Enyalida said:
    Tending trees is not an interesting occupation for anyone, any novelty wears off VERY fast. There is no participation or activity involved in totemcarving, just mindless sweeping with an automated system, or reading a list and pathing/aliasing a repetitive command for what amounts to a relatively small amount of power, compared to all the other passive power gains. It's not fun, it's never been fun.

EDIT: Not to mention, it's the only prime target worth hitting, ultimately punishing forests for the slightest slip-up in carving (like, not checking every midnight on the dot for reverted totems). This makes players feel guilty when they... participate in the rest of the game and someone with a chip on their shoulder runs in and chops a tree they missed.

This would be why I have highlighted elder trees. That way, when I am running through the forest gaining the small things I hunt for, which requires every single room essentially, I am able to catch the trees and call for someone to carve. Even if I feel guilty some days when I have found tree after tree after tree after tree. I am always afraid that one of the druids is going to pin me to a tree for a few hours so that they might have some 'fun' for a brief moment.  :D

Avatar by the most wondrous Feyrll
    Totem carving is as interesting and interactive an experience as herbing is, and you wonder why the majority of people simply afk pathwalk it with a system.

There's also a difference between making the game "lazy" and giving tools to the few younger people who don't have the luxury of systems with code to do all the monotonous stuff for them, and lets them take the initiative. Giving people access to more information isn't making the game lazier, it's giving people more tools to be effective, being lazier would be having totems carve themselves or some mechanic that extends durations before they revert.

You confuse the evolution of little things that improve the player experience through more information, with the notion that removing mandatory, non interactive crap is somehow dumbing the game down. Just because something becomes easier to manage doesn't make the game worse, nor does making people walk uphill in the snow for no reason other than :status quo: make a game better.

• Diminishing an unmatched gain very slightly is not really that much of a punishment. If I chop down an elder tree then Serenwilde gets what, 2990 free power, instead of 3000?

I used to have a highlight for an uncarved elder, and I'd just call it out on ct and wait for someone to come carve. If no one was around, I'd message the GM so someone could be dispatched later. If I noticed a change in the totems totals, I'd ask everyone in the org to go out and patrol and we'd get it sorted out pretty quickly. Yes, it is a chore, but all orgs have chores. At least this one is one that can be shared and gives commune players the feeling that they're taking care of something - which is the point.

There have been a lot of small implementations in various skills that make things easier, but I think that a lot of the flavor has been lost along the way. Requesting a log for trees will just make it less of everyone's concern and instead the solitary chore of druids who are also power aides.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    It's already really the solitary chore of druids on the basis that they can carve them.

This won't remove the option for people to spot an elder and call it on CT. But we're in an age where people simply replace the duty of "everyone go out on patrol" with pathwalking systems that sweep the place in 15 minutes flat, the "making it lazy" has already happened. Having the game provide tools for information so that people can take responsibility through active interaction, rather than fall to temptation of merely hitting an alias and going afk to make a coffee is a way of encouraging people to not fall to merely automating everything.

That of course is part of a much bigger issue within the game, but here, for this instance? I don't see the issue of giving more information to the players, when the alternative in reality is just afk autowalk carving.

• I agree - automated mapwalking has hurt Lusternia in a variety of ways.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • To a point. If it weren't for the in-game path finding, I would pretty much be eternally stuck in Glomdoring bashing carrion beetles until I give up on leveling again. I am terrible with remembering directions, even with the long strings of them given in org helps which I have always managed to botch up by getting lost in it. 

Just a general note - making more things more available to learn (from org helps being more forthcoming with information, to game helps being updated to be less of a treasure hunt for 'how do I sew something'), while for some may be seen as 'making the game lazy' in turn makes the game quite a bit more accessible and lowers the entry level so that more people can become involved. It does not take away from the higher levels of challenge, but allows for a wider point of entry. 
    edited March 2014
    Talan said:
    Diminishing an unmatched gain very slightly is not really that much of a punishment. If I chop down an elder tree then Serenwilde gets what, 2990 free power, instead of 3000?

I used to have a highlight for an uncarved elder, and I'd just call it out on ct and wait for someone to come carve. If no one was around, I'd message the GM so someone could be dispatched later. If I noticed a change in the totems totals, I'd ask everyone in the org to go out and patrol and we'd get it sorted out pretty quickly. Yes, it is a chore, but all orgs have chores. At least this one is one that can be shared and gives commune players the feeling that they're taking care of something - which is the point.

There have been a lot of small implementations in various skills that make things easier, but I think that a lot of the flavor has been lost along the way. Requesting a log for trees will just make it less of everyone's concern and instead the solitary chore of druids who are also power aides.

The 'punishment' has nothing to do with power, which as I pointed out is insignificant in the long run. It has to do with the fact that the forests are almost entirely incapable of policing their prime borders, or keeping people from easily sneaking in and chopping totems unless you have druids scouring the forest literally every hour of every day, and not missing a single totem, which are the most sacred trees of the Basin.

EDIT: There is a reason Glom and Seren have an agreement to not chop the other's totems, if we started chopping trees, they would all be razed to the ground in no time flat, with zero recourse avalible to either side, totally unfun.
    I'm mostly wanting to be able to show (for instance), "Look, Enyalida! I've carved 125 elders today"!
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • MSG ENYALIDA I've carved 125 elders today. Also, I have updated Project Totems so that we will know when these will revert, and you can calm down about patrolling every single hour of every single game day. P.S. The guild shop might need more powerstones.

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    MSG TALAN geeze, why do you have to be so mean?
  • edited March 2014
    Shuyin said:
    Back in my day we carved elders in a blizzard while getting attacked by Narsrim. There is no skill factor (aside from the literal sense) involved in carving totems. Making carving less of a hassle isn't gonna spoil people. Sometimes I feel that people forget that Lusternia is a game not a second job.
    Are you saying that you would enjoy running a walkabout script while afk more than you would enjoy the opportunity to possibly kill Narsrim in prime enemy territory? Because if so, I do not believe you.

ETA: Also, I never said it was going to spoil people, but I just feel like general immersion is sacrificed when scripting and automating and the various streamlined easy ways becomes the standard normal.

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited March 2014
    I don't know about laziness. Back in my Eye days, I wrote a script that only needed to pretty much be run once. All it did was go through the entirety of Glomdoring and record the exact date on which all the current totems were going to revert. Then I sorted them and put them in a Blacktalon project, followed by posting on the Blacktalon boards about its presence. Following that, I'd check against my numbers and run a patrol of only locations that have reverted, check if they've been carved, if not - carve them, if yes - update my dates, then update the project. And yet, most people would just ignore that particular project altogether, so I had to redo my lists with partial carves on practically adjacent locations and all that other fun stuff which made juggling and arranging stuff in an ascending date/vnum order a much bigger pain than it had to be.

In the end... I don't see the reason for the complaint. I can see adding people carving totems to the powerlogs, but reversions? Not really, no.

EDIT: Here's what I'd suggest in the end, if the power income from totems is so negligible. (To me, it's not, but eh... what do I know?) Turn carved totems into statue-like objects, allow all of them to be 'enchanted' by druids and runed, then if no upkeep has been done within the 250 days after the creation, have the totem expire (And not revert to an elder tree), forcing a replanting to produce a new totem. Of course, as a perk, anytime a totem has less than 75 days left, upkeep can be performed for free by anyone with the NATURE skillset so it doesn't decay. Problem solved.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Is totems vs statues lusternia's version of six degrees to Hitler

• Shuyin said:
    Is totems vs statues lusternia's version of six degrees to Hitler
    Yep. Elanorwen just lost the argument.
    What they said, but yes: Give up power generation to make totems work (mechanically) more like statues to some degree. This would work, and be agreeable.
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    edited March 2014
    @Mysrai is easily taken, too. When in doubt, throw yourself into the volcano.

Edit: Whoa another page happened, cool.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Please let us put inscriptions on statues that bear our mark, similar to how paintings can bear them. Perhaps add a small marble cost for clearing an inscription for a new one.

This ability can either be added to "Inscriptions" once you gain "Statues", or can be a part of the "Statues" skill under Arts itself.
    The lasting leprechaun event should continue to give curios after the promotion, even if it's just one per completion.
    Also, can we bring back selling/buying curio pieces for gold please? The three curio pieces from the leprechaun event are close to worthless otherwise.