Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I'm going to go ahead and burst your bubble here and tell you that the argument definitely is not "We wish Mag could screw with our epic quest in a different way." 
  • Eh, I'd call it half "I wish the way they were screwing with our epic was less stupid." and half "Actually, I think screwing with epic quests in general is a dick move." But I do think most of Celest at least acknowledges that, regardless of if you think its a dick move or not, trying to block the other side's epic is part of the status quo at this point and isn't going anywhere.
  • Guardian combat is so resource-intensive (power, flesh, tarot cards).  :-t

• I'll agree to the acknowledgement that both sides can be dicks and it should be accepted rather than fought all the time.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Obviously the answer is to make offending Magnagoran a Chosen of Celestia.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited November 2015
    @Arcanis gee it's almost like raising Marani happened in a pre-scratch timeline. Kinda like how someone's parents might have been drunk and accidentally gotten into a fight with their best friend, but they don't hold it against each other twenty-two years later. When I raised Marani I had plenty of reason to do so, and Magnagora was not at all providing me any incentive to stop. The character of Tremula has literally done a 180 degree flip since joining Celest and getting her miracle, but since you're doing nothing but holding it against Tremula the player, you haven't bothered to see it - that and you snubbing so you can get the last word in and then bypass snub to leave little jeers and sneers.

If Marilynth is not raised by Celestines to support her kingdom's holy purposes, then it is a tragedy that her work goes for naught. We must come together in the Light to see her able to rest again, that her work may not go in vain or against the Light that she so believed in. And the fact that Ladantine blows up too doesn't hurt at all. (smooches @Glom)

EDIT: stupid M names
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • This field has been tilled over so many times, it's a desert by now. I'm more than a little late to the party, having never participated the last couple of times it has popped up, but well, it's never too late to start anything.

It's prefectly acceptable and fine from an OOC perspective what Mag is doing, because this is a game, and this is a conflict quest interaction. As a conflict quest interaction, all participants can, and will, pursue the course of action that gives them the most advantage or rewards. It is intended of conflict quest interactions to reward players for completing it - this is a bedrock assumption that underpins most competitions. There is zero space to argue that OOCly, a participant should not "take the path of least resistance", as Shuyin likes to say.

It is also fairly fine ICly what is happening, because this is a roleplaying game, and a fairly well done one. Human experience can arguably be distilled down to a single word: "plurality". There are as many (sometimes more) stories as there are participants. To roleplay is to pretend to experience a (oft-times fantastical) life that is separate from real-life, but as close to it as is possible. And as roleplay approaches real-life experiences, the blacks and whites that define characters and experiences start to blur into gray. The most lovable thing about IRE's roleplay-enforced paradigm is that it encourages such circumstances and situations. The roleplaying climate and atmosphere predisposes itself to subjectivity, to bias, and therefore to the human experience.

However, plurality does not mean that organisational RP does not exist, or is unguided and entirely fluid. And when an org continually performs an act that is against its organisational RP, eventually there will come a point where its identity becomes undermined beyond salvage. If the lines blur to the extent where it doesn't matter what is being done, as long as it creates advantages, then the roleplay foundations become unsustainable. Lusternia will become Dota, where heroes are flagged as being "Sentinel" or "Scourge" side only as a thematic formality, and tactical advantage or strategical victories become the only relevant factors in conflict. Both the admin and players have a vested interest to ensure that things don't come to that stage.

And here, trying to pretend that what Mag is doing is not against organisational RP (or the same on the Celest side) is the expression of a cognitive dissonance that is giving me a headache. 

There is a perfectly fine justification, both IC and OOC, for Mag raising Marilynth: because it hurts their enemies more than it hurts them in the current situation. Just as there is perfectly fine justification for Celest raising Marani, for the exact same reason. It still doesn't change the fact that both acts are against organisational RP. Lusternia's roleplaying environment emulates the human existence to an extent where such acts can, and actually should, be pursued so far as it continues to give the actors the advantage that they wish to achieve. But to somehow claim that Mag is displaying more RP integrity, or vice versa, that Celest is somehow an org that values its RP positions more, makes for an unsustainable argument.

When a conflict quest mechanic consistently gives one of the parties more rewards for completing the opposite side of the conflict quest than if they were to complete their own side of the conflict quest, it is a sign of bad or failed quest design. Conflict quests are meant to be fun and engaging precisely because it allows characters in their IC role to act in-line with their role (ie. in conflict with an opposing character's role), while simultaneously allowing the player in their OOC gameplay to achieve a goal or gain an advantage via its completion. A disconnect in the rewards that are handed out from the lore and theme of the acts that will reap said rewards will only end up encouraging the players of both sides to start doing the opposite quest of a conflict quest interaction, and that violates the design integrity behind the quest itself, and eventually, the lore and themes that underpin the organisation itself.

What is happening in the game now is not just acceptable, even vibrant and engaging - but to celebrate it while at the same time sitting on a high horse atop morality hill, is stomach-churning.

Lerad's posts are always the best.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    I'd like a thesis on why I'm so awesome.
  • I guess I feel slightly bad that I tend to skip them from the length.

In other news,

Lol at the idea of killing Marilynth (by your own hands @Tremula, while you were part of celest) as "giving her some rest". Im sure her screaming out in despair and dispersing is just what she was asking for.

Lol at Tremula doing a 180 degree. You're as spiteful and selfish as ever hun, dont hide it, it's why we all enjoy watching you fail from Mag.

And finally, Marilynth isnt raised "Support her kingdom's holy purpose". Truth be told, Marilynth has little to do with New Celest. She is raised as part of trying to 'cleanse the sea of despair' and giving the spectres (Her ACTUAL People) salavation from their curse. The fact you and your little group in celest think she was denied her task, is just an attempt of a badly written excuse to try and pull her down. Spare me.

• Ventidius said:
    I'll start caring when people stop complaining. It's embarassing. Can we have Hallifax or Glomdoring as archenemies instead? I'll say it once and I'll say it again. Celest has done as much bad as Magnagora, the difference is we don't complain about what they do. We get even.
    You complain all the time. Like, one of the top 3 things people complain about= "Mags complaining about celest."

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• I complain about people slandering Magnagora. If someone IC or OOC claims 'Magnagora enemied me for no reason' and I see that the reason is something like "Attacked Nil" then I'm going to call them out on their BS. I'm trying to help maintain Magnagora's great reputation against the boring roleplayers who tell everyone 'Celest good, Magnagora evil' (I'm not a fan of how the novice intro calls us 'evil city').
  • edited November 2015
    Celina said:
    Mag's complaining about people complaining about mags complaining. It's complainception. 

• edited November 2015

Ventidius said:
    I complain about... Magnagora ... (I'm not a fan of how the novice intro calls us 'evil city').
    continued in next post because idk how to forum apparently
  • edited November 2015
    To be fair every org is a bit evil.

Hallifax is an oppressive communist state
    Glomdoring eats babies
    Gaudiguch pushes whores into volcanoes
    Serenwilde bangs innocent fae
    New Celest teaches xenophobia
    and Magnagora is literally  Taint
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I'm pretty sure the whores leap into the volcanoes willingly, so.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Is that what they're calling it down there?
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Glomdoring only kills babies. Your comment is inflammatory and unfair.
  • Chirbo said:
    Glomdoring eats babies

That was just a joke. Zac doesn't serious eat them. He's too busy managing all the platters of food shoved at him.

Calling bull, Asani definitely eats babies.
  • No one disagress that Hallifax is Soviet Russia I see.
  • Ventidius said:
    I complain about people slandering Magnagora. If someone IC or OOC claims 'Magnagora enemied me for no reason' and I see that the reason is something like "Attacked Nil" then I'm going to call them out on their BS. I'm trying to help maintain Magnagora's great reputation against the boring roleplayers who tell everyone 'Celest good, Magnagora evil' (I'm not a fan of how the novice intro calls us 'evil city').
    Funnily enough I got enemied to Magnagora for 'going in the city' when I went to the blasted lands to offer to Morg (your patron).
  • I got enemied to Magnagora for going through a portal after being cordially invited. :(

Enemy statuses are just really expensive badges. Be your inner pokemon trainer and get them all.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
    I got enemied to Celest for eating some fish people that don't even live close to Celest.
  • Everything requires sampling. For science!

• Celina said:
    Little known Glomdoring secret: the babies we kill for the nai'dorin go into Rowena's cauldron for the communal Boiled Baby Stew. It's all we eat. 
This discussion has been closed.