Comments, Concerns, and General input on Dream event

Comments

• So we need to step back and metagame instead of trying to push the idea that, in fact, we do not want it to be an unpleasant atmosphere for the divine just because it's something they're not used to dealing with. I can't believe that you guys think that just because everyone isn't grovelling constantly and, in fact, want to stand up at times is an unpleasant atmosphere. I'm disgusted with you, @Mysrai, and all the other admin who can't handle any kind of RP that isn't fluffy bunnies and all hail the gods. I won't be commenting on this anymore.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Marcella said:
    So we need to step back and metagame instead of trying to push the idea that, in fact, we do not want it to be an unpleasant atmosphere for the divine just because it's something they're not used to dealing with. I can't believe that you guys think that just because everyone isn't grovelling constantly and, in fact, want to stand up at times is an unpleasant atmosphere. I'm disgusted with you, @Mysrai, and all the other admin who can't handle any kind of RP that isn't fluffy bunnies and all hail the gods. I won't be commenting on this anymore.
    I'm curious as to what you have to say about players who have had interactions with gods that did not involve fluffy bunnies or groveling. Is that how you perceive the game? A myriad of players all kissing the feet of gods? If so, I suggest you try playing outside of the Magnagora echo chamber. I suspect you don't understand why your comments sound so ridiculous to most players because that is not how most of us interact with most of the gods. 
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I don't think I grovelled to Frai once actually, which was on purpose. I may have called her Lady Frai at the end, but I certainly just refered to her as 'Frai' before we started to like her. 

I don't know. I think you need to take a step back Marcella and think about what you're really saying. As @Sylandra pointed out (and people like @Xenthos did as well earlier in the thread), it's quite possible to be rebellious, difficult, stand-offish without actually being a jerk. I think that's the disconnect here, It's not a grovel or you suck and I don't want to play with you attitude being talked about by the admin.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • I've never *been* outside Magnagora.

Maybe my previous, [I think] reasonable posts, if responded to, when I'm trying to open dialogue that I do want to have fun with the admins, I wouldn't be so pissy if it didn't look like they were 100% ignored and as soon as I get fed up with it it gets pointed to and goes THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GET NICE THINGS.

I'm willing to try to work with you people but I don't know *HOW*.
    I don't think saying 'I'm disgusted with you' really counts as reasonable.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited December 2015
    The two posts before that, Synkarin. Where I was talking about the times I enjoyed divine RP.
  • edited December 2015
    I can say with great emphasis that Hallifax's interactions with Sciomore were not "fluffy bunnies and all hail the gods". In fact, Hallifax was incredibly resistant to Sciomore. However, Hallifax approached its opposition by actually putting up resistance against Sciomore, interacting with its mobs to evacuate them from the city, trying to backstab Scio by shooting the city, etc. Versus in Magnagora, where I'm told the reaction was pretty strongly geared towards insults and derision on CT, clans, tells, etc., to the effects of "hahaha you can zap us and we don't care" and "you don't scare us, you're so boring" and so forth.

Both are in opposition to the relevant god, but one is conducive to a fun roleplaying environment, and the other is conducive to wanting to log out and go blow up some Reapers. I'll let you all decide which is which.

EDIT: I feel it's also important to note that not everyone in the administration has time to be logged in for 8+ hours a day, running events nonstop. Karagash was around when he was able to be around, and wasn't when he wasn't. It turns out he was in a situation where he was forced to spend more time not logged in than logged in, which means less time for him to do whatever in-game, even ignoring the larger context of this discussion.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
    You mean the posts where you said things along the lines of 

'We sure 'got' a lot right?' 

Gaudi had very little mechanical benefits either, we still had fun with it. Between Gail, whiskey or death whatever, we did our thing. The shield we got in response to the doom cannon was about a 15-20 min convo between Steingrim, Frai and I and another 2 mins asking the city if it's ok, then Frai wiggling her shadowy fingers and boom, shield. 

So yes, you 'got' a lot. Just not as much as some.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • https://gyazo.com/9ae08e2998ae65862a69c3a102780c81

These two. It's almost funny that you don't know which ones I'm talking about because I guess me thinking they were ignored was accurate.
  • Ieptix said:
     I'm told the reaction was pretty strongly geared towards insults and derision on CT, clans, tells, etc., to the effects of "hahaha you can zap us and we don't care" and "you don't scare us, you're so boring" and so forth.
    This is the downside to being a snoop - you hear things that were not meant for your ears.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Kind of a tangent, but my agnostic RP was mentioned. Speaking just for myself, I imagine Dar can come off as dismissive towards gods, even Halli's divine consulate. He doesn't seek them out or take their words for gospel, but it has nothing to do with my feelings about the admin behind them. If Master Quettle speaks up or Monsoma Cloudwalker comes visiting, that's instantly the highlight of my play session, and Daraius is far, far more likely to take advice from one of them than from Zvoltz. I would say if you find the attitude towards divine roles hostile, try inhabiting an NPC and interacting with your citizens that way. You could see that (maybe) they aren't universally awful. You could investigate, from a non-divine position of authority, what makes them tick. Maybe even change some minds, if they're open to it.

I know I'm not in a position to give advice to volunteer admin, and I really have no idea what the atmosphere is like outside of Hallifax (or outside my own character, even), so I could be totally off base, 

I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • See, especially with the second one, you're kind of sending mixed signals. First you are saying that you feel as if new gods infringe on Magnagora's thing, and that Magnagora pushes back against said new gods. That's fine, if that is the direction that Magnagora wants to go...but by pushing away gods, you have to expect that they will not stick around, because you are pushing them away.

Admins are just like regular players, the only difference is that they are mostly focused on making fun things happen, instead of being on the receiving end. If you spend a lot of time and effort in antagonising someone, he or she will leave the org and join another. For admins, of course, they can't really do that, so they'll just stop interacting with the org in question. You have to understand this -- you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

• Talan said:
    Ieptix said:
     I'm told the reaction was pretty strongly geared towards insults and derision on CT, clans, tells, etc., to the effects of "hahaha you can zap us and we don't care" and "you don't scare us, you're so boring" and so forth.
    This is the downside to being a snoop - you hear things that were not meant for your ears.
    The tells I'm referring to were directed towards Karagash directly. And this stuff happening on other channels such as clans, even if the god can't hear it, tends to feed into player attitudes and how they interact with people, even if unintentionally, and serves as an echochamber that only makes this sort of situation that much worse.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    @Mysrai: That hussy is eyeboning my man, and I will not be fuzzy bunnies about it!
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Sebitti is my favourite @Mysrai dweller, and I love her to death and back. While Mysrai and I have never properly met face-to-face (I saw them as the giant alien void structure that spoke in 'Iklara' and then when I had my Voice stolen) and I have a natural bias against Mysrai because of the Divine I chose to follow, Sebitti is one of the highlights of my day whenever I see her. Daraius is completely correct, because Tremula has come to appreciate Mysrai as a Divine just because They managed to get someone so amasing on Their side.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • edited December 2015
    Probably going to be met with the same responses already here, but going to give it a shot. When the event first started and we were greeted with Karagash, we were curious and okay. Questions were asked and no answers given except quite literally, "I'm the greatest." kind of attitude. We were fine with this and rolled with it. Not shortly after we got the Death Challenge that's been brought up so many times. At this point we were stoked - Magnagora sustained no damage during the 'big fight' and we didn't have some jerk Being booting us from a city or just zapping needlessly.

We were then granted the plague of rats, rather comical as a 'combat prowess' check. After very few casualties the epidemic was over and we the citizens asked to challenge Celest's prowess. This was met with a, "Good idea, lets do it!" attitude and we were still happy with this, not the super cannon but I'm not complaining about that, we were indeed getting attention. Sadly we never got to see the challenge go through, but I assume it did at some point as Aelish gave that Broom of Doom as we titled it in Mag. Keep in mind, this is days into the event all this happened and we were solid with it, minor resistance and "Praise be to the Elders" still floating around. The 'hatred' and comments of such really only started when Karagash refused to prove Himself a worthy leader of Magnagora. I know a lot of you people know about Magnagora, we like pretty shows of strength and deeds.

When the Sea of Despair was attacked -THEN- Kunthin and the Necromantate were removed, is when we got irritable. We had new characters being rolled and in a manner of sucks to be you, couldn't help people complete the Collegium. Not the biggest of worries I know, I came up with a solution to just test knowledge on it and have a Professor speed time, blam. The issue was that Karagash (true to the template also mentioned earlier) would refuse to strike against Aelish. Instead he struck out at Gaudiguch and Frai, whom the people of Magnagora had no qualms with and did not want to see the destruction or damage of. So after Karagash decided to remove Drachou, we were miffed.

In case nobody realizes, Celest and Magnagora have had this decade long spat of, "I'm going to destroy you." "No bro, I'm going to destroy you!" Saying anything else is a lie. So when the appointed Patron of Celest moved on Magnagoran territory, we of Magnagora acting much like ourselves, asked our appointed Patron to respond. The initial request was, "Can you please retaint it, Iron Lord." there was no disrespect yet. Instead of a deed that would bond Him with Magnagora, we got a third Death Challenge, the battle of the sexes, and people were punished for speaking up in any protest or not even participating. I personally got zapped three times in a row, for asking, "What did I miss?" on the city aether....seriously. So when the oppression actually started is when people got admittedly rude. This is now towards the middle of the event. Karagash never gave a reason for not acting, nor would they ever talk things out with us. There was no, "Follow My strength and we shall be unstoppable." or anything leaderish about Him. Another quick history note on Magnagora, the position is called Warlord for a reason.

This is getting lengthy, but it's almost required to explain that Mag was not rude out of the gate and being disrespectful. It wasn't just a lack of caring, anti-divine RP, or other such claims made here. I get people don't want to play a character or role they don't enjoy because people make it miserable - I've lived that nightmare since I started playing this game, but I still do it. I'm not faulting the people who jumped onto Karagash and gave Him life, I wouldn't want to do it either especially having to follow a template that makes little sense to those outside the knowledge circle. So while it seems like we're complaining about not getting shiny stuff (Which I'm sure people are), it's more that our Divine gave up on us because they couldn't go against the character set for them and this displeased the Org they were assigned to.

EDIT: Slightly unrelated side note. Can the Divine mute affect primary aethers? I personally think its silly but understand the logic of it only affecting Says. But in argument for it...its a God, they can turn off the speech part because why not? Screw telepathy outside of the Psionics users :)
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    (@Daraius I hope it was clear I brought you up as a positive example of RPing disinterest in gods! You've always come off respectful in my experience.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I have the feeling I missed something since I missed this event. From what I read, for the most part, people did get passionate about things and I think that means I can say the Admins did a good job.

For that, I say kudos and wish I hadn't missed, but hey, exams are important. Not much I can do with the hand I was dealt.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Marcella said:
    I've never *been* outside Magnagora.

Maybe my previous, [I think] reasonable posts, if responded to, when I'm trying to open dialogue that I do want to have fun with the admins, I wouldn't be so pissy if it didn't look like they were 100% ignored and as soon as I get fed up with it it gets pointed to and goes THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GET NICE THINGS.

I'm willing to try to work with you people but I don't know *HOW*.

I think your primary problem is that you -don't- do a small amount of metagaming. At some point, you're going to need to in order to realize the following: you can't "beat" Morgfyre, you're not going to destroy Glomdoring, and there are certain lines you really shouldn't cross, like attacking people in in a god's fulcrux.

That's not to say you can't oppose Morgy, and you can't actively work against Glomdoring, but you can't go at it the same way you go at opposing mortals, by swinging an axe (physically and verbally) and hoping people run into it. You're damned smart, and I know you can come up with ways to get what you want without alienating people oocly.

I'd also like to urge you to alt outside of Magnagora. Make a character that's the complete opposite of Marcella and roll with it. Step outside your comfort zone, and you'll be better for it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • The problems with alting:

Intro sucks

My system breaks 100% if I don't have skills

there's so much money into marcella why would i ever play another character, lusternia is so pay to win how could I even cope with starting over
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Marcella said:
    The problems with alting:

Intro sucks

there's so much money into marcella why would i ever play another character, lusternia is so pay to win how could I even cope with starting over

Intro does suck hardcore. M&M is free if you can use Mudlet. I cope all the time. You don't have to "win", you're just alting to try out new things and new viewpoints.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Marcella said:
    The problems with alting:

Intro sucks

In reverse order:

Redefine 'win' then. Roll up a Hallifaxian Scholar, or a Celestian Priest, or a Serenwilder Mystic. Don't play to smash skulls and take names, play to be memorable, or quirky, or cute, or a curmudgeon, but most of all, play to immerse yourself in the atmosphere and culture of the new org, even if you never want or try to become a top-tier (or even mid-tier) combattant in your new alt's home. After a couple of weeks or a couple of months when you get bored of the new character, hop back on Marcella and pwn sum faic for a while. Let the alt die, but don't forget what it was like to play them.

mmf can help bridge the gap if you're on Mudlet, and if not, just let autosipping and firstaid keep you alive while bashing, and keep your head down to stay off the PKdar.

Intro sucks, but at least you know where most of the gegaws are, and it shouldn't take more than three or four hours if you're stopping to smell the roses and lollygag while doing it to complete the handholdy bits, and then if you don't want to see Newton again, just go round up Bard/Scholar/Pilgrims and you'll be in your mid 40s before it stops being as effective. Heck, For Seren, Celest, and Glom it's not unreasonable to just do the power quest over and over and learn lessons or do Collegium stuff between rounds. In Celest I think you can earn cityfavours for it, even.
This discussion has been closed.