Comments, Concerns, and General input on Dream event

Comments

• First of all, I'd like to point out that I love any post I make, no matter what it says,  will get Flagged.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/62288458.jpg

secondly,

Mysrai said:
    Yeah, I mean, I'm not sure how much clearer we can be about this in terms of giving feedback. It's an unpleasant atmosphere to be involved with. Many members of the staff don't enjoy interacting there, and have told you why. The answer we get back is "well, it's unfair, why aren't you interacting with us?!" instead of "oh, hmm, maybe we should work on x, y, and z."

This is why you don't get nice things. 

@Mysrai I've explained this already. When Karagash first appeared, Mag was pretty 'okay' toward him (as much as a random dictator that came out of no where as they could be), and even participated in His events. In fact, I would attest that Karagash was perhaps one of the most accepted Higher gods at the start, compared to the others. It was only later when it seemed like we were getting shafted, that it got ugly. Not only werent Mag players getting anything, especially with all the hard work they put in, BUT they also were being swatted away, their ideas included, for speaking up.

I admit, it got ugly near the end, and lord knows I tried to control some players from being so rude, but there was so much I could do. It -really- was hard to defend Karagash at the end. He really had given Magnagora -nothing-, when others gave some pretty amazing experiences from what I could tell. I mean even if Frai didnt given Gaudi some interesting items, Im told the RP was pretty nice (wtf is Gail anyway), not to mention im pretty sure Frai was going to save Gaudiguch if the lazer was shot at it.

So yes, in conclusion, we -were- nice to him, but as in any relationship, you have to give -and- take, and we were given 0.
  • I think @Rendal basically put it all in the best perspective possible.

Pssst, this will get flagged
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Some people refuse to see any perspective but their own. It can be a character flaw IC (Lavinya used to tell Marcella she was too narrow minded quite often), but when it's also ooc it's no wonder the frustrations flow into the game. And when the other side is trying to show you their perspective and your only (and often repeated) response is 'No but, it's really THIS WAY', nothing will ever change. So which came first? Were Mags dicks and thus divine backed way off, or did the divine back off causing Mag to be dicks?

Obviously opinions on that vary depending on your perspective. Sometimes the best thing you can do is literally stop and try and see things through the eyes of the other side, be it admin or a different org (I definitely recommend alting to test it out. My most played alt is in Serenwilde and a pretty polar opposite to Lavinya. It's great seeing how other orgs and people see YOUR org, and experimenting in having different feelings towards your main org. Very eye opening.)

• I really hate chiming in on these posts because I don't think anything really gets accomplished, but I feel like I might have an interesting perspective, having come in about halfway through the event (mother was in the hospital for the first part of it so I wasn't involved whatsoever).

By the time I was back, most people in Magnagora were pretty miffed with what was going on. The Necromentate was gone (and thus our ability to make spikes, which is detrimental in multiple ways), people were pissed about losing our Elder Gods (say what you want about Magnagora's "collective" opinion about the Divine, @Mysrai, but we have a lot of people that are very, very passionate about their chosen God) and we wanted to fight back.

Unfortunately, even being around during my normal hours again, which seems to coincide with event times anyway, I really didn't see Karagash at all until... possibly almost a week later. Even though Esca isn't active in an Order any more, he's still the leader of the Nihilists and has a lot of respect for the Pantheon and serves Them as part of his duties, so he came out of the gate very untrusting of Their replacement, but I think even though he wasn't grovelling at Karagash's feet, what Esca did say to Karagash over CT wasn't all that nasty, and I didn't even get a response. Whatever interest I had in trying to involve myself in this event died right there, to the point that I didn't even bother with participating in killing the Higher Gods.

Speaking as someone who was admin on a game (non-IRE) in the past, it really shouldn't matter how you feel about a chosen organization. There were plenty of people whose RP or attitude I didn't particularly care for, but my job as admin (unpaid though it was) was to create and lead plots for players to enjoy. The reality of the world is that there will always be people who you don't like out there, and most of the time you just have to deal.

I hope that the admin reconsiders their attitude towards Magnagora, especially because the people who are outright anti-Divine in the city are quite limited (if noisy) and it's damn unfair to everyone else in the city to punish the rest of them. The only thing you'll do that way is create more people who don't trust the Divine.

• edited December 2015
    Shaddus said:

My plan is working

Edit: darn..forgot off-topic.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm on my phone and can't check. How many people liked my picture but flagged Arcanis' response off topic?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • edited December 2015
    That's a shame since there have been only... what, five or six Magnagorans including myself that have participated in this thread? We all know that player population is an issue in Lusternia, and lumping an entire organization into one category is nothing but a detriment to making people more engaged. I certainly wouldn't force interaction with specific people (sorry, @Arcanis, @Marcella ) on an admin, but certainly there must be ways to still give attention to all of the other much more deserving players in Magnagora who really do want to have more Divine RP.

I'm not even trying to plead my own case here, as a GM I generally have my hands full just with guild-related things, but there are plenty of great RPers and players in Magnagora who are worthy of attention.

• Unfortunately, my opinion is influenced by more than just this thread. The atmosphere in Magnagora (CT, tells to admin, messages to admin, other things I can't talk about), is heavily, unpleasantly saturated with constant negativity and some really ugly conflict. 

Every time I'm even adjacent to it, it's very noticeable. I've chosen to abstain, and am very thankful that it's not my problem.
    Art is by the wonderful Gurashi!
  • edited December 2015
    Sorry to hear that your experience was so poor, @Darvellan. I'd hoped to at least try to interact with Karagash, maybe not the kind of interaction the admin were expecting, but I'm afraid I didn't get anything at all-- not even a zap. And when you left after my multiple attempts to start a conversation with you on CT, it certainly didn't make me feel enthused for the event.

It's a damn shame that there are voices in Magnagora that drown out the rest of us.

EDIT TO ADD: I also think there is a lot of unwillingness to see the other side's perspective. Up untll @Drocilla came to Magnagora, we'd had very little Divine interaction for a long time. I know our Divine were either unplayed or busy coding? I'm not sure about the specifics, but the reality is that Magnagora basically forged their own way with little to no Divine guidance for a long time. I think Drocilla has done a fantastic job in integrating with Mag's play style and that's why Her Order is so popular, but it seems like anyone else on the admin team comes in with certain expectations on how things are going to go and are very upset with things going differently.

Mag is different. We are basically THE city that, in lore, rose from the ashes by themselves. Drocilla proved Herself to Mag by pulling a fast one on New Celest and then firebombing them with Divine missiles. That's why so many of us flocked to Her, not just because we were desperate for a Divine. Look at all of the awesome things Fain and Morgfyre have done in the past (no hate on Raezon, just don't know a lot about Him or His history), there's a reason why people in Mag follow them! I think there are a lot of opportunities for cooperation between admin and Divine if we could all come to the table with an open mind.

And if @Ieptix could code some kind of Divine snub system. >_>

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    It is my hope that we all come out of this with something good. Roleplay is give and take. It is regrettable that both Magnagora and the admin felt that the event did not pan out as both sides had hoped, but hindsight is twenty-twenty. I believe there are admin who care about Magnagora (lest we forget @Drocilla!), and I believe there are players in Magnagora (like @Esca), who care about the admin as well and are distressed by the direction this thread has taken.

Pointing fingers and expressing frustrations can be therapeutic, but much better than dwelling on the past is bettering the future. I wonder if we could discuss the parts of the event that were most enjoyable and beneficial, in the hopes of replicating them for future events?

For example: I loved how responsive the admin were this time around in a largely free-form event. Those must be difficult to plan, and far more difficult to make happen on the fly, but I know it meant the world to players like @Kiradawea who got to really impact events in a meaningful way.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Esca said:
    Sorry to hear that your experience was so poor, @Darvellan. I'd hoped to at least try to interact with Karagash, maybe not the kind of interaction the admin were expecting, but I'm afraid I didn't get anything at all-- not even a zap. And when you left after my multiple attempts to start a conversation with you on CT, it certainly didn't make me feel enthused for the event.

It's a damn shame that there are voices in Magnagora that drown out the rest of us.
    It wasn't my intent to ignore anyone. Ignore questions, yes. People, not really. If you were ignored, I'd like to think it was chalked up to my multi-tasking or just the flow of text.
  • edited December 2015
    I think you've entirely hit the nail on the head, @Ayisdra. Thanks. :)

EDIT TO ADD...AGAIN: I'm signing off from the forums at this point. Like I said earlier, I don't really enjoy participating in these sorts of things, but I thought this was important enough to break my forum silence. I hope that some of the admin have at least been willing to listen and believe that there are still plenty of people in Magnagora that want to interact with the Divine.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I guess my question is that, assuming the three separate admin that have stated their reasoning for not wanting to work with Mag are wrong, why is it the prevailing opinion?

• I for one had a fucking blast when I got the chance to be logged in for it. It was pretty cool from the perspectives of the two characters I played as.
  • I'm very late to this thread.
  • Celina said:
    I guess my question is that, assuming the three separate admin that have stated their reasoning for not wanting to work with Mag are wrong, why is it the prevailing opinion?

This.

I don't understand how some people can keep arguing, at what point do you have to realise you're the common denominator?
  • Frankly, I feel that publicly posting that you (as an admin/god) do not want to work with a group of players, no matter the reason, is extraordinarily unprofessional. That's the sort of thing that should be kept private regardless of the theme of the thread. Admin are held to much higher standards than players. Heck, they don't even do this in Achaea. They will mod threads, but keep up a professional appearance.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Marcella said:
    I'm disgusted with you, @Mysrai, and all the other admin who can't handle any kind of RP that isn't fluffy bunnies and all hail the gods. I won't be commenting on this anymore.
    I'm not too keen on rolling into this, but I noticed no one poked at this post of yours. So I have to.

What you are doing here is invoking "false dichotomy". Mysrai has definitely dealt with opposition and even members of Their own order not listening to them. Don't see lots of complaints about that though, do you? Tone and temperament can make a big difference on this front, however, and I'm sure it's making a difference here and now, too.

You are putting words into Mysrai's mouth. You could argue that Mysrai can see and understand this, and calmly work through it in their argument, but then, why can't you?

Refusing to budge an inch only works so well in some situations. I hope this sort of behaviour is not reflective of how you (or the general mag populace) routinely work with admin.

• Oh lord...@Lavinya brought up the "EXODUS!!!!" again. I was hoping we could go a week without it.

hun, enjoy yourself, you're happy you're gone, we are happy you're gone. -stay gone- for everyone.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Maybe Magnagora needs less RP gods and more mask - wearing, hatred spewing, cut off your head and spike it to the side of the Megalith divine. The kind that make you simultaneously vomit and soil yourself when they ordain you. The kind that are perfectly willing to pick you up by the throat and use you to beat another player.

Not that rp isn't a good thing, but Magnagora needs needs a firm hand on the reins.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:
    Maybe Magnagora needs less RP gods and more mask - wearing, hatred spewing, cut off your head and spike it to the side of the Megalith divine. The kind that make you simultaneously vomit and soil yourself when they ordain you. The kind that are perfectly willing to pick you up by the throat and use you to beat another player.

Not that rp isn't a good thing, but Magnagora needs needs a firm hand on the reins.

I miss Fain. :(
  • edited December 2015
    <.< ;

Ok so... the event. I was disappointed it didn't last longer, felt a bit excluded icly since there were no ic real time posts or anything, and lack of logs on forums made me antsy to know more. Admittedly I couldn't be on as often as I wanted because rl stuff and sleep being a thing. But otherwise, I think it was pretty awesome conceptwise at least in terms of being something new over the past few years. A quest where multiple people can get honours at the same time? Cool. (Or so I understand it?)

One thing it did point out to me was how lacking Hallifax also meant lacking labs to make institute weapons in, and that was a bummer. So a lot of plex sitting for me. And I think... other guardian guilds can make their weapons outside of their org?

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • Orventa said:
    So a lot of plex sitting for me. 

As I have since found out, more people hung out in our makeshift not-the-Matrix Aetherplex Chamber than they do now at our actual Matrix.
This discussion has been closed.