Comments, Concerns, and General input on Dream event

Comments

• Now I want to know who played @Aelish. His character came across similar to Xerxes from the movie 300, though a bit more frantic. Very good job, I'll say!

• Shaddus said:

Having said that, I was myself mostly disappointed in Serane, or at least the amount of time she interacted with Glom. I spent most of my time playing Asani and saw Serane a lot, and realIy couldn't get a handle on Her rp. Sheer vanity, I suppose? I ended up groveling at her feet to try and get close to find a weakness, to no avail. Special shout out to @Eliron for some really simple but nourishing Manteekan rp, including attempts to try and contact Him through His ice pillar, or speaking with Lhiannan and trying to figure out who was able to be trusted among mobs. Whoever was playing Sebitti, whether the normal person or someone different: you were utterly amazing, as usual.
    Huh, I like @asani.
    And I really liked the mirror stuff. As well, whoever controlled @Rowena and @Sebitti, you guys may not have been playing gods but you still did awesome.

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• edited December 2015
    I'm kinda sad that Luella had to go.

Sure like, she was overboard and out of control, but gotta love the whole "Wreck all of the things, go nature!!!" attitude. Plus... the group sacrifice scene was pretty cool >_>
  • I enjoyed the event and wouldn't have minded if it had gone on much longer.

I was one of the "get out, evil thing" people the whole time. My character witnessed something unbelievable, and so she refused to believe what was happening was real. She was suspicious of and hostile to Frai and the other High Gods, being of the opinion that these obvious figments were best ignored, derided, or dismissed. Anything they said would be blatant lies, or lies of omission, and I didn't need to hear it.

There really wasn't enough time for me to come around to the idea that this could actually be a permanent situation - that these gods would be people I had to really deal with - so I did not bother. I think other people had a similar response.

Things moved so quickly, it's totally understandable that the collective admin are exhausted. It was a whole lot to pack into a week. Stretched out over a longer period, people would have had more time to develop their feelings about and approach to the High Gods. The initial response to any major changes is often STRONG NEGATIVE, especially when those changes involve losing something (the gods they have rp relationships with, the ability to offer corpses, etc.), but people do come around eventually. There was just no eventually here. By the time people started saying, "Eh, Frai's not so bad," the event was wrapping up.

I wonder if there was admin concern that we wouldn't be able to handle a wrong-world for a longer period of time. While I don't think Halli (or Gaudi, if it had gone that way) would have coped well being without a city for very long, we could have gone without regular gods, and endured oppressive regimes for at least another 2 weeks. (I was really looking forward to the possibility of god-CLs)  :)

My only real complaints about the event are the same complaints I tend to have for any event - everybody wants to be the special snowflake who saves the world, to the exclusion of the other snowflakes. That's certainly not the admin's fault, and I got more personal interaction than I was expecting, so thank you.

Again, I really enjoyed it. Also, I'm sorry-not-sorry for framing @Karagash for the beer/whiskey theft, but it was a nice rallying point there at the end.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • Ellowyn said:
    Admin, I'm sorry that this bullshit thread exists and that you had to read it.

I can't begin to imagine the work that goes into one of these events, and especially for all the admins that are not paid, I thank you.
    It's not all bad, there is quite a bit of positive in this thread!
    The soft, hollow voice of Nocht, the Silent resounds within your mind as His words echo through the aether, "Congratulations, Arimisia. Your mastery of vermin cannot be disputed."

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I'm just very sad I couldn't live up to Herald of the Eternal Wyrd due to real life. The timing of this couldn't have been worse. <3 to i assume Vira for the throwback to earlier times and fun with Tark. Now to watch star wars in Disneyland.
  • Talan said:

Again, I really enjoyed it. Also, I'm sorry-not-sorry for framing @Karagash for the beer/whiskey theft, but it was a nice rallying point there at the end.
    Did all of Guadi frame him or just you?
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• Arimisia said:
    Ellowyn said:
    Admin, I'm sorry that this bullshit thread exists and that you had to read it.

I can't begin to imagine the work that goes into one of these events, and especially for all the admins that are not paid, I thank you.
    It's not all bad, there is quite a bit of positive in this thread!
    Definitely.  I'd like to think the admin know what I mean, though.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I spend a lot of time online, and I didn't even see Karagash once. I interacted with Luella and Sciomore, which was awesome, but I'm sad I didn't get to see Karagash at all.

If it was because of players scaring him off, then maybe we need to consider that Mag might have a problem. Maybe the real concern coming out of this event is how Mag treats the volunteer admin, because if they don't want to interact with us, this sort of thing is going to happen again.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice

I MUST SAY THIS

As a big fan of The Wheel of Time, THANK YOU Admins for this event and for releasing Nirvana. It is all very Tel'aran'rhiod-ish and from reading that IG-lore record, I believe it is very safe to assume that quite a few of you guys are fans of the same books! I wish we had more aes-seda-esque fight sequences though! There is still some time before the Seals break, so yeah...please consider! :) 
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Mysrai said:
    I ended up playing a lot of @Serane, and was kind of all over the place. Standouts include @Gabriella, @Narynth, @Xenthos, and most of Glom, who were really tolerant of a despotic Goddess while also getting some great plotting in. I especially enjoyed all the backroom Glomdoring intrigue. I did my best to play Serane to the stereotypical @Viravain reputation crossed with an absolute valley girl narcissist, and it was basically a ton of fun with folks I don't usually interact with.

A++ would toot my own indigo-fired horn again.

IT WAS YOU!  @Mysrai I LOVED our interaction.  I would have been intrigued to see the end of the plant thing too, but in the end I was glad with the way everything went.  Thank you so much!
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • I think the problem here is that, I guess orgs are supposed to feel like they have a certain tie to the gods.

But then, whether through real life or inactivity, an org doesn't have much active godliness, that lack of presence makes the org build up without a god.

So then when there IS a god, the org feels like they're infringing and pushes back a bit against that god's ethos or how they want things done or whatever...

and then that god feels unwelcome and quits instead of trying to actually *become* a part of the org.

And I feel like Magnagora has treated @Drocilla exceptionally well, asides from like, Munsia. Even I had a lot of great RP with @Drocilla. But that doesn't mean I agree with all of Drocilla's tenets or her order. I even spent some time talking crap ABOUT her order, WITH Drocilla during the nighthawks-in-serenwilde event, and she agreed with me! That was great!

Mag is about deeds like Shango said. Marcella looks at deeds, too, and when the Gods just put around going WORSHIP ME, DISRESPECT ME AND DIE and there's never anything else, how is there any room to build any respect whatsoever?

I respect @Darvellan because unlike EVERY OTHER GOD He actually decided to give me a neat little RP quest thing. I'd happily interact with him more, and in fact, before this dream event I sent a prayer to him with the intention of 'making friends' to the best of my ability.

I'm not Satan guys. I promise. 
  • Estarra said:
    With Karagash, there was only so much I could take logging in and having the CT channel generally just be belligerent. I was like, "Really? A god appears that has the power to zap, maggot, etc., and your RP is to insult him or be jerks?" I mean, fine, if you want to back me to a corner where the only appropriate response is to zap, go for it, but it doesn't really make me want to RP with you (exception was Arcanis who was fun but it was drowned in the other behavior). On a small tangent, this also goes for regular god roles as well. Those who really treat their patrons well generally have more active/responsive patrons. Those orgs who treat their patrons like crap generally have patrons that either don't like to interact much or the org gets such a reputation that no one wants to RP a godrole with them.
    Welcome to Mag my life.

It was pretty clear from day 0 (to me anyway) that the event was a dream/alternate reality type of thing. There were too many glaring inconsistencies when the Elders were eaten and replaced. That said, I find it much more exciting, rewarding, and fun to see how far down the rabbit hole goes, and certainly much more pragmatic than parroting, "Hey you suck new gods."

However, as I posted elsewhere, although I'm very happy for the other orgs to get some juicy, much needed fun and spoiling, it certainly seemed different on my side of the fence. Karagash set up a death challenge, which was cool, but only yielded a favor. This is the mighty year-end event, a favor is pretty much insignificant/nothing. We went all out for it and smashed the other orgs, hyping it up, only to get essentially nothing and then not to see Him pretty much at all for the next week kinda sucked. If we go all out for something, and see nothing from it, it's only natural for us to be discouraged into not wanting to participate, especially after multiple people trying to do things only to get shot down/ignored.

Karagash being an Aelish (Celest) lackey/friend certainly did not help things. Magnagora has really taken the Celest-destruction to heart, and seeing that certainly did not provide for a heartfelt welcome party. Mag's Pantheon has a history of not destroying other orgs directly, but rather giving pointing us in the right direction and cutting us loose. You won't see Fain/Morgfyre just cast lightning or set a nexus ablaze or crash a wave breaking buildings like Seren/Celest are used to. Mag gets the job done.

Just my 2 cents from a limited perspective. As always, thank you all so much for your time, efforts, creativity, and patience! Even though this event was pretty crappy for me personally (until the final couple hours in Nirvana, which I missed out on), it sounds like the vast majority of people had a stellar time! Much love.

• AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    edited December 2015
    Just wanted to join in and say that I thought the event was awesome. Big raves for everybody who made it possible. I loved reading about it a lot and was very sad (as posted elsewhere) that it was so much not in my timezone, but hey, that's how it is.

When someone told me IC 'did you hear, oh this is so terrible, all the gods are dead! we got new gods!' I was like ... wait what? and it took me a while to wrap my head around. I tried to not be openly / completely opposing, but rather be skeptical. Aeldra in my mindset not beingvery keen on the fact that @Darvellan was gone, mostly because He's her deity of choice and His loss did hit her hard. So I spent the quiet hours of Lusternia with Aeldra trying to understand what was going on, hunting after residue of the soulless (Teaming with others to explore places she couldn't go alone, making theories, etc)

It wasn't till saturday till she fully accepted 'alright, someone's messing with us, let's do this'. I kind of really liked that there were people who openly aligned with the new gods, people who openly opposed them and people who (like me, I guess) did it more in their backyard while keeping an openly friendly atmosphere about it.

Sadly, with being in a timezone where most admins are likely asleep, I felt stuck a lot too. Still loved every bit of it. :)

Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited December 2015
    Lisaera said:
    I loved the sacrifice scene, too, @Saran. It was fun telling everyone to die as a team and then to actually have them do it. 

I'm one of the staff members who could only be around for short spurts throughout the whole event, a truth that I lamented every time I missed something big happening. Alas. I'm thrilled that all of our ideas came together, though, and I heap love onto the staff members who pulled everything together so flawlessly. It was incredible to catch up on the various logs (player perspectives are often way cooler than our retellings in the Havens). 

Shouts to @gabriella, @lleuke, @qistrel, @rivius, @ryylaet, and everyone else in Serenwilde who resisted Luella so strongly. Although I was only a partial Luella inhabitant, I was responsible for some of Her bigger outbursts, and I loved watching the scrambling. How did it feel to be locked out of Serenwilde? #cackle 

It honestly was really awesome. Loved the way things kept escalating :D Loved the huge swath of wolves that came out and caused blood city (commune?). Then when we were comfy killing them, the god-aeon came down and we all got teared to shreds but we kept going :D The only sad part is the poor wolf collateral casualties (sorry @Everiine and @Turnus!) :p

I loved also how we got kicked out and then the Serens all hunkered down to find a spot. We went to Caoimhe dell and asked the elfen for sanctuary in our troubled times and started to slowly regather, recover and plot.

I also loved that Maeve was shrewd enough to see past Luella, yet clever enough to use her pride to get us back into the Serenwilde. Rivius didn't like going along with it, but OOCly, I liked Maeve's character a lot there :)

Overall the entire experience was pretty damn exciting and some of the most fun I've had in Lusty in a while.

Oh, also! I will always keep loving Bandrui. What a wonderful character.
  • AeldraAeldra , using cake powered flight
    @Maylea I can only guess what pulling long nights means like and so even more kudo's for it. Everybody loves (and needs) sleep so... it's not really me complaining at all. Just more a little bit of sadness of not having as many chances, but it's good to know that you got us europeans in mind too
    ;))
    Avatar / Picture done by the lovely Gurashi.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I wish we had time to play up the covert stuff a bit more. It was fun knowing that all our clans and big group meetings were probably being listened in on and not secure. I wished I could have played that up more, but I didn't.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Rivius said:
    The only sad part is the poor wolf collateral casualties (sorry @Everiine and @Turnus!) :p

You monster :P
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Maylea said:
    As someone who isn't based in the US, I feel your pain, Aeldra - I have the luxury of being able to pull a week of nights for big events like this but I am always conscious that the Europe/Asia/Australia folks need some love, both from having experienced it as a player and from my preference not to be up until 4am now! The sad fact is that as much as we try to make different timezone friendly events, for you guys and for those of us up here who are in those areas, most of the players and most of the admin are on US time. 

Also, each day's events can take a lot of prep - and when that prep can't be started until people are home from work/school/life in general, it starts to add up and makes things run later and later. We do our best to keep it in check, but it's not always possible - though I promise it is something we think about and try to change where we can. If nothing else, you can be sure that those of us in Havens who are on different timezones are always fighting your corner. We like sleep! ;)

Whilst I wasn't one of the main players of the Higher Gods (though I enjoyed brief forays as Luella and Serane), what I did spend a lot of time doing - both during the event and in the run up to it - was giving as many people as possible some mob-interaction love. I tried to do some of this on EU time, so hopefully that gave a few people something to do - I only wish I could have done more. It was so much fun to think of the different ways that they would be reacting to what was happening and every single org was great at running with whatever came up, whether it was guards gossiping or previously-loyal mobs becoming zealous servants of the Higher Gods.

Special props must go to Hallifax, for whom I started an event several months ago and then RL got in the way - but the delay meant that it became part of this event, which made it so much more interesting than my original plans. Thank you for being a delight to interact with and for finding darling Miella as utterly adorable as I do, and especially for being great when reaching the part of the event plan that said "and now each guild will RP at the thing". What you came up with was fantastic!
    That was you?! I love-love-love-love-loved it! It took me a moment to realise that instead of endless essence gathering we were just supposed to RP at the thing, but once I realised that, it became a whole lot of fun. And it was great to have Jeanne and Irima join in on things. Lots of props to you for that and for the event itself. I really hope we'll see more of this in the future, because that was... that was <3<3<3
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • edited December 2015
    Ha! That was some really thrilling behind-the-scenes code mastery from one of our illustrious coders, @rivius. I was Luella and and a few other admin were standing there, watching the tensions rise, until finally the coder in question offered "Hey, so, want me to choke them? lol" and we all cheered "yes! CHOKE! Choke them!" 

Then, just as you say, it escalated from there to "Let's kick them out of Serenwilde for a while. It's an easy enough trick." 

We dropped wolf bombs, plant bombs, and were cooking up ideas to thwart everyone in other ways (I was toying with the idea of mass maggoting...), and then my Maeve personality took over and decided to use her to get you guys back in. 

Just a note: having Maeve back is extraordinarily relieving. She's a fabulous character, and I love stepping into her shoes. 

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Edit: Sorry about your wolf casualties! 

• Celina said:
    I just don't get it. Mag had the opening event, their god initiated an death event in their favor with the promise of rewards for basically doing nothing but bashing for an hour, and the response was "we stopped caring because the reward wasn't good enough." 

Gosh, not to make this a thread about "How Magnagora Gets It Wrong," and I'm not entirely sure if it's a cultural thing or maybe you guys spend too much time in the echo chamber with one another, but you guys have got to take a step back. Look at the admin as volunteers, not managers. If you want them to offer up more of their time to you, then you have to find ways to attract them. This is not how you do that.

I'm going to assume you aren't referencing my post, which addressed a few points in a respectful manner from my perspective. Perhaps it would be helpful if you just called out people directly, or specific situations, instead of lumping everyone together.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited December 2015
    @Ixion: Well, you should assume in this case. I'm referencing a couple things, including the OP and your post that does specifically mention the lack of reward over  a death event. 

I didn't say you were disrespectful.  I did say that complaints about a reward over a death event is not conducive to attracting positive admin attention. That specific complaint is an entitled one. It's not a personal criticism, it's feedback. If Magnagora is curious as to why the admin themselves have made comments about why they were/are not overly active in Mag, some of the things being said in this thread are good clues.
  • Also! Could someone clarify whether or not the cow was intended to be an Inception-style totem to let us know we were dreaming, or just a weird bug?
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
This discussion has been closed.