the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• Actually, since Kilee's Kalceon doesn't evolve, it kind of makes sense it was given an ability to let her catch new pokemon. Puts it more on par with the others
  • A pokemon that catches other pokemon doesn't seem right, though. Trainers catch pokemon.
  • A Pokemon that has abilities that help catch other Pokemon isn't that strange though(not sure why Shadow Sneak would be used for that, only thing that throws me off). Because the other power we've seen Kelceon display is, honestly, pretty weak? I'm just saying a really weak pokemon, that lets her get more instead of evolving into a stronger one seems like a reasonable thing to
  • You know, that puzzle analogy got me thinking. Let's examine what puzzle pieces we have, to see if we can figure out what we're missing.

Trainer Actions (Earthquake Effects)
    ????: Kill Sylandra, Night Blocked by Earthquake
    ????: Kill Cyndarin, Night Blocked by Earthquake
    ????: Revealed Vivet
    ????: Revealed Kalaneya
    ????: Redirect Cen to Target
    Lehki: Use Power, Night Blocked by Earthquake.
    Ushaara: Use Power
    Iosion: Use Power, Night and Day Blocked by Earthquake
    Ssaliss: Use Power, Night and Day Blocked by Earthquake
    Dylara: No Power, Night and Day Blocked by Earthquake
    Othero: Watch Sylandra
    Krackenor: Use Power on Sylandra
    Silvanus: Watch Trainer
    Thul: Use Power on Thul (Protective)
    Melali: Use Power
    Cen: Use Power on Target, Day Blocked

No Power: Sylandra, Makaela, Allyrianne, Kilee*, Ileein, Kalaneya, Rolsand
    ????: Luce Phoebus Synkarin Portius Salome Cyndarin Alary Vivet Kaimanahi

Pokemon Actions
    ????: Pokemon to Earthquake
    ????: Pumpkaboo to Block Synkarin
    ????: Pokemon to Sleep Othero
    ????: Pokemon to Reveal Kilee
    ????: Purrloin to Day Block Sylandra
    ????: Darkrai to Block Cyndarin
    Kilee: Kecleon to Shadow Sneak, Night Blocked by Earthquake*
    Makaela: Pokemon to Use Move

No Pokemon Move: Melali, Lehki, Allyrianne, Ileein, Rolsand, Cen
    ????: Sylandra Dylara Thul Iosion Ushaara Othero Luce Phoebus Synkarin Krackenor Portius Kalaneya Ssaliss Salome Cyndarin Silvanus Alary Vivet Kaimanahi

This is what I can gather, after going through the forums. I only recorded stuff said explicitly, so if you want to make amendments, feel free to report changes/mistakes. Also, feel free to use as much or as little information as you want. My final goal would be to have no names next to the ???? at the bottom of each section.
  • I should be up in the pokemon actions list with Makaela. Ordered my pokemon to use a move, and it worked fine.
  • Okay. I think I'll update it after every 10 changes, that should hopefully be often enough, while sparse enough to not flood the forum.

Cen: Pokemon to Use Move
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    @Cen
    The breakneck pace slowed down after we started to get more into the information sharing stage. I think the size of the game combined with the crazy first night where no one knew what the heck was going on contributed to how much this thread exploded. Hopefully now that we mostly understand the quake and have a few leads, we aren't in "I blinked and 27 new replies appeared??" land anymore.

And I've resolved to not quote anything properly anymore, so y'all will no longer be subject to the slow deterioration of my sanity and eventual destruction of these forums, which means half my posts won't turn into two from now on. I'll come up with some kind of system once I'm replying to something I otherwise would've quoted, for the sake of anyone reading the conversation later. 

@Melali
    I offer a puzzle piece: at this time, I have not yet ordered my Pokemon to use its power, which can only be used during daylight hours. It was an entirely pleasant night for me, with no quakes felt or aggressive actions taken on me that I'm aware of.
    Oh, I meant to add: in regards to the Othero/Krackenor thing, I'm on team Trust Both. If I had to pick one of the two I felt was more trustworthy, it'd be Othero, who confirmed his power claim by correctly identifying that Krackenor was there too. And with Krackenor, for now, I'm in agreement with the idea that if he'd been the blocked aggressor, he wouldn't have been seen by Othero because his action wouldn't have been completed. Seems like everything checks out, to me.

At the moment I'm all for turning this expedition train into a lynch train and getting rid of Rolsand, whose contributions are dubious at best, but I am holding off on actually voting because there's still more we can get out of the day and I don't think it's time to push it to its conclusion just yet. 

(Not to mention some people still haven't had a chance to check in yet today. Those poor souls. They have quite a read ahead of them.)
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I didn't have it in your preferred style of declaration, @Melali but I have stated that I only used a trainer power.

I had also been wondering earlier about the possibility of people doing two actions each a night, which @Cen confirmed is possible.

So yeah, extremely power heavy game. My assumption would be that there are Pokemon/Trainer exclusive versions of each of the typical mafia roles, i.e. can investigate pokemon OR trainer. But perhaps it's just typing which comes into play, which might help explain the @Sylandra scenario. The watching failed to see third person outside door because they were Ghost type or something along those lines?

But something which still hasn't been clarified to me is if the quake caused the dayblock, are there other possibilities for what the Pumpkaboo, Purrloin and Darkrai did? Or is it just a weird coincidence that all three are also dayblocks that yield same effect as the Earthquake?
    Oh, one other thing that we might have to be on the look out for moving forward. I think @CyndarinAscends mentioned seeing a symbol of some sort? If this comes up again, we may need to consider possibility of an arsonist on the loose. @Allyrianne left tell-tale scent of a rose in the Reign game which we overlooked until it was too late and got burned for it!
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    One more puzzle piece: my Pokemon ability is passive. It was not activated last night.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • So much has gone on while I slept, yeesh. Catching up. 

I am still not okay with that pokemon catching move, because it's so unexplained/weird. Since she's new, I'll let it go for now but it just doesn't sit right with me.

To add another piece, all I can say for sure is I did nothing in the previous night (I actually almost forgot the deadline, oops). I also abstained from using my pokemons power, as it is a day only power and it is a bit random.

Cen getting lost on the way to his target seems odd as well. Food for thought. 

So does this Darkrai symbol. 

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    @Melali I did not take a night action or use a pokemon ability during N1.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • General PSA: We're on Day 1. We started on Day 0. Then Night 1, it is now Day 1. It is not Day 2 yet.

Okay, I'm still trying to understand the earthquake's mechanics because agh.

Claim to have been blocked by quake at some point:
    Lehki: Night: blocked by quake, Day: ???
    Iosion: Night??? Day: blocked by quake
    Ssaliss: Night: blocked by quake, Day: blocked by quake
    Dylara: Night: ??? Day: Blocked by quake
    Kilee: Night: Blocked by quake, Day: ???
    Cen: Night: Switched with someone Day: blocked by quake

Synkarin: Night: ??? Day: blocked by ??? saw a pumpkaboo

Sylandra: Not blocked at night, as the only reason she noticed the quake was because she noticed it blocking her attacker. Day: Blocked by Purrloin
    Cyndarin: Day actions blocked, symbol of Darkrai

Othero: Not night blocked, Put to sleep for a certain number of posts during the day

Claim to not be affected by earthquake/other blocking: Rolsand, Vivet, Allyrianne, Makaela, Thul, Ushaara, Melali, Portius, Krackenor, Silvanus

Ambiguous (or I missed something): 
    Kaimanahi: Has posted once, commenting on earthquake's strength
    Luce: Yet to post
    Phoebus: Has posted a bunch, but hasn't actually said what she did.
    Kalaneya: Did not perform a night action, did not say anything about seeing the earthquake or day actions
    Salome: Yet to post/on vacation
    Alary: Yet to post
    Ileein: Did not take a night action, has not specified if saw the earthquake or day blocked or what.

I'd think the earthquake always both night and day blocked, except for @Cen. I am inclined to think that Sylandra was blocked by purrloin, not sure on Cyndarin, and that Synkarin was blocked by the earthquake, with the pumkaboo's role something else. This does seem like a lot of blocks, but between cooldowns, night vs day actions and night vs day blocks, this honestly... doesn't seem unreasonable to me considering that we have 27 pokemon running around and blocks are probably some of the easier abilities to convert to mafia.

I'm going to theorise that Kilee's catching pokemon thing is her trainer ability but that the Sneak thing helps her get out on the prowl earlier to better catch the pokemon (maybe?) Especially since the earthquake otherwise appears to have only prevented trainer powers and not pokemon powers. Although that throws question on the theory that pokemon were divorced from their trainer powers. Honestly, Kilee's stuff is really incoherent. She's claimed the earthquake stopped her from taking a pokemon action. Still hasn't clarified where the pokemon she catches come from, and hasn't expanded at all on her team.

I'm a little interested in Melali's claim that pokemon can have powers that they can't actually learn according to bulbapedia, because with the ones I know of (mine, Kilee's, the Purrloin that attacked Sylandra) that hasn't been the case. Are you sure you weren't looking at a different generation or something?
    Thul says he knows why he had a peaceful evening. So... why?

I'm most in favour of lynching Alary, Luce, Salome, Rolsand or Kilee. The former three because lack of participation is incredibly frustrating and detrimental to town, plus it might give us some valuable info on powers/factions/etc. (I realise we've been told Salome's on holiday, but still) Rolsand because his play style is prone to derailing and being a lose canon and is generally detrimental to town even if he's not mafia. I don't necessarily think his role is scummy, I just don't think he's helpful, and if he does have a blocker or watcher power as he's implied, I do not trust him to use those properly and communicate properly about their results. (Sorry Rolsand. You're nice. Your playstyle just does not mesh with mine). Kilee because her story seems inconsistent and her pokemon catching power is potentially obnoxious. I'm not going to vote for anyone yet, since we have plenty of time. (which is a little terrifying. We're already at 17 pages!)

Frankly, it makes a lot of sense for anyone with watcher powers to go after Sylandra, because at this point she has quite a reputation. Krackenor tends to ping my shady radar, even when he's not at all, and in this case, for reasons that Sylandra and Melali have outlined, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • I apologise for that post being an absolute monster. To be fair, I had 5 pages to catch up on.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I believe the reason I'm dayblocked is because of earthquake. I initially thought it was because of the Pumpkaboo, but given that several people are dayblocked because of the earthquake, I think that's why I'm dayblocked. I'm guessing the pumpkaboo did something else last night, but I am not quite sure.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Well, things just keep happening to screw up my daily schedule of late. My hours are changing around yet again (and extending), and I have several house projects now locked in stasis. Things are liable to really get complicated for me in the next week, so I might not be able to post much at all and may be better off as an observer. :x

@Tremula - if you have people who want to play who are in waiting, it'd probably be fine to swap them in for me now rather than later. Otherwise I'll just try to keep up.

Lehki said:
    Actually, since Kilee's Kalceon doesn't evolve, it kind of makes sense it was given an ability to let her catch new pokemon. Puts it more on par with the others
    I can counter this argument. I also have a pokemon that doesn't evolve. I didn't receive any indication of being able to catch a new one as the game progressed. While the ability it has is better than e.g. 'stay asleep for 10-30 posts of next day phase,' it is limited all the same, not without some risk of backfiring, and subject to a cool-down.

Furthermore, my pokemon only has one ability, so with @Kilee revealing two Pokemon abilities it's pinging my shady radar for standing out as different to my own. Whether pokemon with more than one ability are common at this early stage, I don't have any information on, but barring new information coming to light, I'm good with lynching Kilee if the time comes to solidify a vote. 
    Synkarin said:
    I believe the reason I'm dayblocked is because of earthquake. I initially thought it was because of the Pumpkaboo, but given that several people are dayblocked because of the earthquake, I think that's why I'm dayblocked. I'm guessing the pumpkaboo did something else last night, but I am not quite sure.
    Any speculations based on Pumpkaboo's move-set? Anything fitting with the flavour of the message?
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Well, it popped in and 'distracted' me and made me question if I was going to lose it. I also slept through the quake, but am still dayblocked (me looking at the Champion confirmed this). Maybe it made me hallucinate? Not really sure.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Wait, what? My night action wasn't the only one that wasn't blocked, was it? Huh. If that's the case, then I'm guessing that the power used to control/redirect me overruled the quake. Or maybe just took place well enough in advance..? I did still get hit by the quake, but it was *after* I had successfully completed my night action and was turning to leave. Confusing.

Also, for the record, my pokemon's only got one ability too. I missed the part where Kilee's has multiple. That is interesting.
    @Allyrianne
    I have said multiple times that the earthquake did absolutely nothing to me and I was unaware of its existence until morning. I should be on the list of folks who were not affected by the quake, not the list of people who haven't said anything. :( I've also said that I haven't used my Pokemon's ability yet. Are my posts with content so easy to ignore? Haha.

I also have a Pokemon that does not evolve and has only a single ability that has nothing to do with getting a new Pokemon. You're absolutely right, we shouldn't make the assumption that it'd be typical for people in our situation to be finding new Pokemon. This one's looking more and more suspicious as we go.
  • @allyrianne: I saw the quake, but wasn't affected by it.
  • @Phoebus Sorry! I tried both going through the thread from page 4ish to page 17 and going back through the comments via people's profiles for those still on the ambiguous list. I'll take another look.

@Kalaneya Wait, so you're saying something alerted you to the quake in your flavour text, but it did not affect you?
  • The quake was mentioned in your night post? That's odd, since a number of other people who were unaffected by it didn't see anything until the the mod post, unless the quake blocked an action against them. Did you see anything else?
  • I didn't see anything else. I was chilling, playing with my Pokemon with my visitor, then bam, quake. I suspect, like Sylandra, I saw the quake because it affected my visitor. 

Why I wasn't affected by it, I have no idea. There's nothing in my flavour text that indicates the reason.
  • Phoebus said:

I also have a Pokemon that does not evolve and has only a single ability that has nothing to do with getting a new Pokemon. You're absolutely right, we shouldn't make the assumption that it'd be typical for people in our situation to be finding new Pokemon. This one's looking more and more suspicious as we go.

Yes but the current day power of Kecleon is stupidly weak as it just changes its type (thus its weaknesses) However by being a day action everyone now know what type the Kecleon is and thus can plan accordingly if they want exp.  In this scenario it makes sense that the pokemon would have some kind of secondary backup power. Also her power just helps her find pokemon she probably assumes wild pokemon and assumes she can catch them. She has stated repeatedly she can not steal pokemon.

There are roles in mafia that have multiple powers, some 1 and even a few with no night powers. We have no way of knowing who has a single trainer power, multiple trainer powers or no trainer powers as of yet.  So if a trainer can have such a variance (i.e mafia/town) why would it stand to reason that pokemon cant possibly have such a variance in power numbers?
  • for a non evolving pokemon to only have the weak transform Kecleon has.. that would be entirely useless compared to the Poke powers we have already seen in action.

Pumpkaboo- day block ? or some other thing
    Purrloin- Fakeout- night block
    ???- Earthquake
    ????: Pokemon to Sleep Othero
    ????: Pokemon to Reveal Kilee

Also to not I do not think the Darkrai symbol is related to a pokemon.  There is lore of a cult that follows Darkrai in Pokemon and even a fan made game centered around that cult.  They frequently used the symbol.  If the person (I believe this was Cyndarin?)  could better describe the Darkrai symbol they saw.  I.E. Coloration, what it looked like it was drawn/made in etc was it a burn mark? Blood?  Ink you get the jist
  • Tremula said:

IMPORTANT BATTLE NOTE:

If your Pokémon takes damage, the damage does not disappear. Your Pokémon can take 3 points of damage before fainting. If your Pokémon sustains any more damage after fainting, they will DIE PERMANENTLY and you cannot receive another one with the exception of an event.

Also I would like to point out that it is infact possible to obtain new pokemon as per Tremula. She says an Event however why could a poke power not be used as such an event?
  • @Allyrianne: I did not see the earthquake, and to my knowledge am not blocked!
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
    Makaela said:
    Phoebus said:

Yes but the current day power of Kecleon is stupidly weak as it just changes its type (thus its weaknesses) However by being a day action everyone now know what type the Kecleon is and thus can plan accordingly if they want exp.  In this scenario it makes sense that the pokemon would have some kind of secondary backup power. Also her power just helps her find pokemon she probably assumes wild pokemon and assumes she can catch them. She has stated repeatedly she can not steal pokemon.

There are roles in mafia that have multiple powers, some 1 and even a few with no night powers. We have no way of knowing who has a single trainer power, multiple trainer powers or no trainer powers as of yet.  So if a trainer can have such a variance (i.e mafia/town) why would it stand to reason that pokemon cant possibly have such a variance in power numbers?
    Just to point out that without further information on how typing affects battles and/or action success/failure, type change may actually be a very strong ability, especially as a part of a scum team. Scum A studies the pokemon and determines its type, Scum B owner of Kecleon type-changes and attacks for guaranteed success. Depending on how often Kecleon can type-change, it also could grant Kilee significant protection. So I wouldn't be so quick to call it stupidly-weak.

And you're right of course in that some roles have multiple powers, but without further information coming forward, we have to form our positions on similarities or differences to what we each know individually to be true. In this, Kilee stands out as different to Phoebus and I, and so far has failed to really mount a convincing account of how she acquires 'wild' pokemon while we're all locked into on a moving train.