the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• My quake can be used for both day and night I believe.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Right, but is there a mention of a cool-down (i.e. how soon after you use it can you use it again?) too in your role-sheet?
    Interesting! We could be in for a rocky (badumtish!) time ahead!
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Yikes! I do not want quakes every night. That seems crazy.

Hrm. Is that...normal for people whose Pokemon can evolve? To not have a cooldown on their ability? Because my Pokemon doesn't have an evolution, and my ability has a pretty long cooldown despite being nowhere near as impactful as a huge random block. Are the Pokes who can evolve given more freedom of use so they can get exp faster, or something?

• Phoebus said:
    Yikes! I do not want quakes every night. That seems crazy.

Hrm. Is that...normal for people whose Pokemon can evolve? To not have a cooldown on their ability? Because my Pokemon doesn't have an evolution, and my ability has a pretty long cooldown despite being nowhere near as impactful as a huge random block. Are the Pokes who can evolve given more freedom of use so they can get exp faster, or something?

I can't use mine every day, but it appears to have unlimited uses. Perhaps because it is a limited use power?

I still need to go back through posts and gather my thoughts but I am at least caught up with the posts!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• Wait what. Why are you pressuring people to claim already? I'm not telling anyone what I did or did not do until there's a reason to.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I didn't get blocked at all by the quake and that's about it. I'm not really decided on what to do from here. :|
  • Ushaara said:
    @Makaela I think this is my first game playing with you, so it's hard to get a proper read. I don't know if your strong defensive posts on @Kilee's behalf are because she's a friend, that she's new, or that you know something the rest of us don't, (was considering whether you might be a Mason pair with her and know her to be innocent), but at this point, from my point of view I think there are significant strikes against her.

Shadow Sneak - Based on what Tremula has said about what happens to Pokemon without trainers, I'm now willing to bet on my theory of her stealing Pokemon from the Champion's car is accurate. She has said herself (and Pokebuffs, feel free to correct me) that in the games Shadow Sneak is an ability that allows the user to strike first. To me this fits with getting first choice of Pokemon that would otherwise become available in an Event. Stealing from the Champion's car however is not something I can see being reconciled with Champion-aligned.

Two Pokemon Powers - Barring anyone else coming forward and saying they also have two powers, this stands out to me like a concession to mafia-roles to make up for them being in the minority in an extremely power heavy game. It's too early for pokemon to have leveled up or evolved and gained another power.

Lack of Her Own Defense - This is something I've been wary of since I defended @Synkarin in the Reign game when he wasn't putting up much of a defense himself. She's been called on several times now to defend why she said her pokemon was the only one blocked by the earthquake, when by all accounts it looks like the quake was a trainer only block.  We also now have a likely-scenario for how she acquires pokemon that needs a counter-response.

Her only response is to ignore the calls and comment about Rolsand potentially being a jester? Come on... Come on...!!

I think it was also Makaela who said it could be even riskier to lynch Kilee, thus putting Kecleon into the Champion's Car, since her Pokemon would become available in a later event, but it's my understanding that barring theft from the car (in which case they can already steal, so moot point), these Pokemon will only become available in a trading Event and be visible to us all. We can all just agree to insta-lynch anyone who tries acquire Kecleon.

It is purely because she is new also this is m first Game on the forums.  I am however very familiar with mafia through vengeance, werewolf and Epic mafia as well as Town of Salem (so do not count me as a newbie)

As to your point on shadow sneak - Tremula has stated that Pokemon powers are completly unrelated to role and I have a sneaky suspicion that Kecleon has a second power not becuase they are anti-town but because the one power we know enough about is extremely useless as she can only use it during the day and that reveals to everyone her Kecleon's new typing thus its new weaknesses.

As for the lack of her own defense I was putting this up to just her being entirely new to the game.

Yes it was me that pointed out Kecleons power would be scary in mafia hands, I also stated that other powers we are aware of are also more frightening than sand shrew getting into the hands of Mafia.
  • @Vivet did you and/or your Pokemon act at all during the night?
    @Kilee Make sure you turn the notifications back on!  Also Please try to get us more details on your shadow sneak ability.
    Wait what. Why are you pressuring people to claim already? I'm not telling anyone what I did or did not do until there's a reason to.

At first I really didn't want to share that I took a night action; however, a decent amount of active posters seem to be totally fine with sharing that they attempted and/or completed their action, and the more people who do share at least that much, the more people who don't are going to stand out. This game is nutso power-heavy, and it's incredibly unlikely that there's anyone without a power, so I don't think I'm giving up much on myself by stating that I have one. I definitely wouldn't be so forthcoming in a normal game.

Of course, I'm not going to divulge what my trainer power is; that's asking way too much. I'm not that compliant. But the way I see it, the only thing I'm honestly revealing by saying I have one and wasn't blocked from using it last night is that my power doesn't kill people. A decent trade-off, from my perspective. That's my reasoning on why I made the decision to share that I did act, and I've no intentions of pressuring anyone else into sharing. I'm not gonna hold anyone else to my own judgment calls, and the more people push for others to share, the less cooperative I'm probably going to feel.

As for my Pokemon power, eh. I'm pretty open about some of the details because 1) we will be able to trade Pokemon, so it can be safely assumed that one's Pokemon power has absolutely nothing to do with their trainer role and thus no conclusions about the owner can be drawn from them, and 2) it 90% sucks and can't evolve, so it's not getting better. No one's gonna mug me for something that I've said has a long cooldown, restricted use, and isn't even on par with the little baby Pokemon and their earthquakes. :-<  Nobody's gonna rob the person carrying a flip phone when everyone else might have a smartphone in their pocket.
  • @Rolsand, do you mean you could activate magnitude during the day? 
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Makaela said:
    @Vivet did you and/or your Pokemon act at all during the night?

Yeah. I've debated bringing it up, but I guess I'll go ahead and admit I put Othero to sleep. I was expecting it to work more like a roleblock during the night, but it looks like I was very wrong! And Othero turned out to be a poor choice anyways.

I'm going to throw in that since we now know it's very likely last night's quake only hit trainers, no one should be considered suspicious if they don't want to share if their Pokemon did anything or not last night. We have the ability to possibly weed out some dangerous people when it comes to trainer actions, but Pokemon actions aren't in the same situation and shouldn't be pushed for unless we have the same potential gain from it.
  • Keeping up in the game is the worst. It's even more ... interesting because people wake up or get home, catch up, and reopen lines of discussion that were dropped three pages ago.

So... to avoid doing any of that, I'm going to note that @Alary has yet to check in, has not, in fact, even been on the forums in over a week based on profile. This means it's highly unlikely that Alary will make the night 2 check in, so we will be guaranteed losing one person overnight. Do we want to pre-empt this by voting today? 

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I have talked with Alary, and while they are fine with being replaced, they are returning from a small holiday and will be posting soon after arriving and not being stuck on a Greyhound for hours. There are another three days left in the Day phase.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • We're still a ways away from the next night, and the next night will last for another two days. No reason why we should start lynching her yet. Also, it'd essentially be the exact same thing as voting for a no lynch, assuming she won't check in during the night (and didn't check in last night).
    Makaela said:
    Ushaara said:
    @Makaela I think this is my first game playing with you, so it's hard to get a proper read. I don't know if your strong defensive posts on @Kilee's behalf are because she's a friend, that she's new, or that you know something the rest of us don't, (was considering whether you might be a Mason pair with her and know her to be innocent), but at this point, from my point of view I think there are significant strikes against her.

Shadow Sneak - Based on what Tremula has said about what happens to Pokemon without trainers, I'm now willing to bet on my theory of her stealing Pokemon from the Champion's car is accurate. She has said herself (and Pokebuffs, feel free to correct me) that in the games Shadow Sneak is an ability that allows the user to strike first. To me this fits with getting first choice of Pokemon that would otherwise become available in an Event. Stealing from the Champion's car however is not something I can see being reconciled with Champion-aligned.

Two Pokemon Powers - Barring anyone else coming forward and saying they also have two powers, this stands out to me like a concession to mafia-roles to make up for them being in the minority in an extremely power heavy game. It's too early for pokemon to have leveled up or evolved and gained another power.

Lack of Her Own Defense - This is something I've been wary of since I defended @Synkarin in the Reign game when he wasn't putting up much of a defense himself. She's been called on several times now to defend why she said her pokemon was the only one blocked by the earthquake, when by all accounts it looks like the quake was a trainer only block.  We also now have a likely-scenario for how she acquires pokemon that needs a counter-response.

Her only response is to ignore the calls and comment about Rolsand potentially being a jester? Come on... Come on...!!

I think it was also Makaela who said it could be even riskier to lynch Kilee, thus putting Kecleon into the Champion's Car, since her Pokemon would become available in a later event, but it's my understanding that barring theft from the car (in which case they can already steal, so moot point), these Pokemon will only become available in a trading Event and be visible to us all. We can all just agree to insta-lynch anyone who tries acquire Kecleon.

As to your point on shadow sneak - Tremula has stated that Pokemon powers are completly unrelated to role and I have a sneaky suspicion that Kecleon has a second power not becuase they are anti-town but because the one power we know enough about is extremely useless as she can only use it during the day and that reveals to everyone her Kecleon's new typing thus its new weaknesses.
    It's already been talked about how her Chameleon type change thing is actually quite a decent defensive power. Not every pokemon in play is going to be an attacking one, and with the number of types in play, with each type change, it's likely only a few people would have an advantage in doing so.

Furthermore, attacking her for experience points risks bringing suspicion on yourself, so I'm somewhat sceptical on whether people are willing to openly battle? Especially since it reveals your own pokemon.

I know if I had a pokemon which could evolve, I'd be eager for it to do so, but I don't and have no reason to believe that mine will even gain a second power, so battling isn't really on my agenda.

Yes, everyone started with random pokemon powers but for the game to have some semblance of balance, mafia have to have a few tricks up their sleeve. For me, a likely way of implementing this would be giving their pokemon a second power, either from their moveset directly, or perhaps via TM?

Scenario A: Kecleon picked by randomly assigned town - Ability: Transform
    Scenario B: Kecleon picked by randomly assigned scum - Ability: Transform + Shadow Sneak

Finally, is it more useless than Vivet's or Silvanus' 'target stays asleep for 10-30 day posts' power?  This is btw. another excellent reason for keeping Rolsand in the game, we'd be guaranteed to pass whatever limit this is with all his one-line posts. :P

So unless one of Vivet/Silvanus volunteers that they also have a second pokemon power with such a dud power, I still think second power as concession to mafia is more likely.

Anyhoo, I don't know if I'll be able to say much more to convince people so I'll step back again.
  • Lehki said:
    @Rolsand, do you mean you could activate magnitude during the day? 
    yes but it will only affect your pokemons.
  • If that's the case I kind of want to see him do it right now. 
  • Fine by me.
  • Jesus, gone for two days and there's 11 pages of new posts! Thankfully I can actually keep up during the week!

(I've typed out Vote: Rolsand like 3 times)...but I want to hear more from @Dylara. You say you didn't use a power...but then you say you were "leaving your cabin" and the Earthquake affected you.

2 and 2 isn't 5.

We have multiple accounts of Night actions blocked by Quake, Night actions not blocked by Quake, and trainers not using Actions who didn't feel the Quake. You're still the only one who claims to have taken no action yet felt the quake...and then your description of "leaving your cabin" is ever more suspect. How were you leaving your cabin without performing a night action?

@Lehki and @Ssaliss...why in the world would you try to force a dayblock out of Rolsand? He'll probably say no, and if he does...what info do we gain? Other than some random pokemon being blocked today (a status on which scum could capitalize....?). You guys are either mafia, or just meanies :P
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • I want to see it because it honestly seems like a faster way of figuring out how it works then trying to interrogate Rolsand, and I'm guessing that if done during the day we'll get too see who's pokemon got blocked instead of having to rely on what people tell us in the morning.  

And I don't think blocking a couple of random pokemon is really that harmful to town, unless people feel like might have a good idea on some scum already and wanted to sick their pokemon on them.

That's my reasoning anyway. What does everybody else think? 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Jesus, five-time use for Magnitude and no cool down? That's OP af. :/ Someone needs to off that Sandshrew.

I'm also a bit suspicious of Kilee, and of Makaela's constant defense of her. I would rather give her another night so that she can potentially figure out her powers (several of us, myself included, seem to have been confused on what those powers entailed until they went into use). But I would definitely be ok with lynching her tomorrow if her story sounds shaky.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Well...

1) He made a claim about having Magnitude, and having it as a day-power. If anyone were to have acted with their pokemon today, they probably would have by now. Using Magnitude would merely reinforce that claim. Personally, I'm far from convinced he has such a power, since a day-blocker that is used during the day seems... odd.

2) I am already day-blocked, so I personally am not affected, nor would the others who were dayblocked be. As such, if there is a time for him to use it without affecting a whole lot of people, today is the day.

3) Scum are the least likely to capitalise on it, really. Day powers are, traditionally, enacted by saying something here. Thus, if anyone were to take advantage of the situation, then we'd know who they were and what they did. Not to mention it'd reveal their pokemon, which might give further clues.

That's mostly my thoughts on the matter. Is it a risk? Well, yeah, but so is everything else we do. Lynch someone? Yep, there's a risk that they're town. Trust someone? Yep, there's a risk that they're scum. Not lynch at all? Well, then we're all dead sooner or later. There is absolutely no safe path to take.
  • Other than a few suspects: Kilee, Rolsand, Krackenor, Dylara (given it's a personal bias because I don't think her story is matching up), I don't think there's a handle on any scummy behavior. 

I'm still worried about using Magnitude...if mafia get lucky and any number of pokemon are dayblocked, they can attack without repercussions, while not necessarily outing themselves as scum, just opportunists. I, for one, would probably join in the PokeBattle Royale against dayblocked pokes, because it's safer. 

Then again, it could lead to some information...so maybe Rolsand could finally help out. 
  • @Ssaliss Rolsand is claiming Sandshrew's Magnitude only affects pokemon. I don't think you're acknowledging that Pokemon actions and Trainers actions are different.
  • Quake only dayblocked people, as far we know, at least.
    Ok, whoa whoa, hold on! TWO important questions before you start hatching magnitude plans: 

1) How long does the block last for? Is it just the for the day, or is it for an entire turn (day and night, according to the FAQ) like the other quake was?

If it blocks them for the night, then no way, definitely no magnitude please. I wouldn't personally be affected by a night block, but you're pretty much putting a big flashing sign on whoever gets hit, saying "potentially defenseless tonight, come get me!" 

2) Will this damage the Pokemon that are hit?

Pokemon take three points of damage before they go kaput. Does this quake count as damage? If it's used during the day, and causes damage to Pokemon, that's yet another flashing "kick me" sign on those poor things.

You people are crazy trying to fire this thing off without considering these points.
  • @Phoebus amen, sister