the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Pretty sure people have pulled off their night actions, and then ended up being blocked during the day by Quake. Kelly for instance stated that she did her night action, but is now dayblocked.

I'm still not convinced that the quake actually blocked people at night, more just interupted them and ..seemingly.. only stopped the kills. Kelly pulled off her action, I feel like the Pumpkaboo stopped me (though I'm not 100% sure) etc.

Who else was affected by the quake and had their night action stopped as well as being dayblocked? This is for @Melai or however you spell it.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Phoebus said:
    Ok, whoa whoa, hold on! TWO important questions before you start hatching magnitude plans: 

1) How long does the block last for? Is it just the for the day, or is it for an entire turn (day and night, according to the FAQ) like the other quake was?

If it blocks them for the night, then no way, definitely no magnitude please. I wouldn't personally be affected by a night block, but you're pretty much putting a big flashing sign on whoever gets hit, saying "potentially defenseless tonight, come get me!" 

2) Will this damage the Pokemon that are hit?

Pokemon take three points of damage before they go kaput. Does this quake count as damage? If it's used during the day, and causes damage to Pokemon, that's yet another flashing "kick me" sign on those poor things.

You people are crazy trying to fire this thing off without considering these points.
    1) I don't think being blocked makes your pokemon any more vulnerable. The way I'm understanding "battles" is that "A used X ability on B. X ability does whatever it's effect is. A and B gain xp based on type" And that's it, battle over. If B the used an ability back on a, that's an entirely separate battle.

2) I had not actually considered that it might do damage because this move sounds already powerful enough without doing that. Like wow.

@Rolsand does Magnitude say anything about doing damage to pokemon?
  • Synkarin said:
    I'm still not convinced that the quake actually blocked people at night, more just interupted them and ..seemingly.. only stopped the kills. Kelly pulled off her action, I feel like the Pumpkaboo stopped me (though I'm not 100% sure) etc.
    I made a comment like a 15 pages back about this, but I think you might have been hit by Confuse Ray and been given the Confusion status. 
  • But my pokemon can still evolve.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Cynicism time: It is possible Rolsand is bluffing about his Pokemon's powers to make us nervous about lynching him. It wouldn't be hard to invent a Pokemon whose skill is very similar to the power we saw last night. Plus we all came into this game expecting a lot of power heavy mechanics. The question is whether or not it's more likely Tremula designed such a powerful role, or more likely that Rolsand made it up. :-? But that's impossible to answer without proof of Magnitude, and there are reasons not to use it yet until @Phoebus's questions are answered.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • No it doesnt say anything about damage
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Synkarin said:
    Pretty sure people have pulled off their night actions, and then ended up being blocked during the day by Quake. Kelly for instance stated that she did her night action, but is now dayblocked.

Who else was affected by the quake and had their night action stopped as well as being dayblocked? This is for @Melai or however you spell it.
    I had assumed that interrupting was the same as blocking, but with more flavor on it. Maybe I got my wires crossed somewhere? I still don't like the idea of firing this thing off, though.
  • I tried lying in Night vale and didnt go so well you would know if I'm lying.
  • and that
  • Welp...it's not really going well for you now either...
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I saw your post @Lehki - but I'm not quite sure how to prove one way or the other I was confused. It's quite possible I am. The flavour certainly lends it towards that. 

@Phoebus - both Celina and Sylandra at least knew they were attacked, if they were 'blocked' they wouldn't have seen anything. Sylandra can write this off as being psychic or whatever, but Celina can't. By the same argument that Othero couldn't have seen the attacker because he was blocked by the quake, they shouldn't be able to see the attacker (or the aftermath) either. 

I guess the difference is 'blocking' happens before it even started (ie, not even in the room) and 'interrupted' means they started, but were stopped mid-act, meaning they were in the room.  This is why I still think Krackenor is a prime target to be lynched.

@Vivet - is it your trainer power, or your pokemon's power to put people to sleep for so many posts?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Iosion said:
    Jesus, gone for two days and there's 11 pages of new posts! Thankfully I can actually keep up during the week!

(I've typed out Vote: Rolsand like 3 times)...but I want to hear more from @Dylara. You say you didn't use a power...but then you say you were "leaving your cabin" and the Earthquake affected you.

2 and 2 isn't 5.

We have multiple accounts of Night actions blocked by Quake, Night actions not blocked by Quake, and trainers not using Actions who didn't feel the Quake. You're still the only one who claims to have taken no action yet felt the quake...and then your description of "leaving your cabin" is ever more suspect. How were you leaving your cabin without performing a night action?

@Lehki and @Ssaliss...why in the world would you try to force a dayblock out of Rolsand? He'll probably say no, and if he does...what info do we gain? Other than some random pokemon being blocked today (a status on which scum could capitalize....?). You guys are either mafia, or just meanies :P
    I honestly have no idea, I did nothing last night. My message from Tremula states the quake hit me while I was trying to leave the train so I assume it meant it was happening just before the day started. I didn't say anything about my cabin in my original post (I went back to look). There is nothing more for me to say, I've said everything I have and have done without giving my role or my pokemon.

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I guess you'll find out the next time you try to take an action, @Synkarin.

I still don't really buy that we'd start this game with evolving pokemon with two different, random target, mass blocking moves. Like what kind of mad, chaotic mod would Tremula even have to be do that to us? So I've got this theory which is part of why I really want to find out more about how Magnitude works, and I guess it wouldn't really hurt to share it.

I suspect there's somebody on the train with a Ditto, and that they there were somehow able to copy Rolsand's Sandshrew and use it's power in one action. 

If they are, and haven't at this point stepped forward about being the source of the quake, they're definitely malicious. But if their power let's them copy and use an ability in one go, I'm gonna guess that they can only copy each Pokemon once. A lot of guesswork with this, but I felt figuring out if Magnitude is what hit us, and confirming exactly how it works, it will help us sort out a lot of the inconsistencies we're seeing with people's reports. 

Like Synkarin said, did it block actions or "interupt them"?  Does it block for a day and a night, or just one, or is it random? Did it only block certain types of actions?
  • @Lehki: Magnitude != Earthquake. Rolsand is claiming a poke-block power - Quake targeted trainers (and pokemon?)

@Dylara I don't know. Stuff isn't adding up (I'm not super suspicious anymore...but the whole timing thing is really wreaking havoc on my brainz).
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited July 2016
    Lehki said:
    Like what kind of mad, chaotic mod would Tremula even have to be do that to us? 

New FAQ.

(The above is intended to be funny and is not a representation of what I have or have not done in this game)
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Iosion said:
    @Lehki: Magnitude != Earthquake. Rolsand is claiming a poke-block power - Quake targeted trainers (and pokemon?)

@Dylara I don't know. Stuff isn't adding up (I'm not super suspicious anymore...but the whole timing thing is really wreaking havoc on my brainz).
    I know that's what he claimed. I saying I think he's either confused or lieing.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Just a quick comment on something I just noticed separate to all other goings on.

While we're still on Day 1, we're already past the total length of the entire Night Vale thread.

This game is wild. :))
  • Okay. Bow down to your anti-Magnitude Savior!

My Pokemon has the ability Intimidate, which can nullify any active Pokemon power that I see. Basically, if you have to say "Blah, use Nuzzle!", I can say "Go, Pokemon!" and Blah's power would turn to nothing, be made non-existent. For example, I could have used it on Kilee's Kecleon to make her not transform.

Now, while this wouldn't give us any more information on how it works, I still think it's worth it because it lets us know that Rolsand is telling the truth about having a Sandshrew which uses Magnitude. Thus, we don't have to worry about what the effects are (at least this time), since no one would be affected.

Any objections/questions?
  • Iosion said:
    @Lehki: Magnitude != Earthquake. Rolsand is claiming a poke-block power - Quake targeted trainers (and pokemon?)

If I had more to offer in terms of it, I would but I do not and I think you can understand me not wanting to reveal my role so early in the game without it being extremely necessary.

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

@Lehki
    I doubt it's a Ditto we're looking at. Even if there is a Ditto in the game, I don't think it very likely that they'd be able to copy and use the move in one action, and the move wasn't identical to what Rolsand reported. Rolsand's hits Pokemon only, and only trainers were hit by the quake last night. Also, if the quake last night only dayblocked, does that mean a Magnitude today would only nightblock? That'd invalidate the "no one else was planning to use their day power today so it's fine" thing.

And I'm still not sure if Pokemon would be damaged by this thing. Is that a risk we're willing to take just to possibly find out how the other quake may or may not work? I don't know if we have enough to gain that'd be worth it to find out.
  • How often can you use Intimidate? Is there a cool-down on when the target can use it again?

Just saying Rolsand is claiming 5 uses without cooldown. He could nullify your nullification by just using it again (not that it'd be smart...)
    Melali said:
    Okay. Bow down to your anti-Magnitude Savior!

My Pokemon has the ability Intimidate, which can nullify any active Pokemon power that I see. Basically, if you have to say "Blah, use Nuzzle!", I can say "Go, Pokemon!" and Blah's power would turn to nothing, be made non-existent. For example, I could have used it on Kilee's Kecleon to make her not transform.

Now, while this wouldn't give us any more information on how it works, I still think it's worth it because it lets us know that Rolsand is telling the truth about having a Sandshrew which uses Magnitude. Thus, we don't have to worry about what the effects are (at least this time), since no one would be affected.

Objection: if you're planning to nullify Sandshrew, it won't work. Nuzzle is an electric-type move, and ground types are immune to electric.
  • @Dylara No worries! This is my first game so I just trying to harp on the things I pick up so I can get better! Don't want to bully :)
  • Lehki said:
    Phoebus said:
    Ok, whoa whoa, hold on! TWO important questions before you start hatching magnitude plans: 

1) How long does the block last for? Is it just the for the day, or is it for an entire turn (day and night, according to the FAQ) like the other quake was?

If it blocks them for the night, then no way, definitely no magnitude please. I wouldn't personally be affected by a night block, but you're pretty much putting a big flashing sign on whoever gets hit, saying "potentially defenseless tonight, come get me!" 

2) Will this damage the Pokemon that are hit?

Pokemon take three points of damage before they go kaput. Does this quake count as damage? If it's used during the day, and causes damage to Pokemon, that's yet another flashing "kick me" sign on those poor things.

You people are crazy trying to fire this thing off without considering these points.
    1) I don't think being blocked makes your pokemon any more vulnerable. The way I'm understanding "battles" is that "A used X ability on B. X ability does whatever it's effect is. A and B gain xp based on type" And that's it, battle over. If B the used an ability back on a, that's an entirely separate battle.

2) I had not actually considered that it might do damage because this move sounds already powerful enough without doing that. Like wow.

@Rolsand does Magnitude say anything about doing damage to pokemon?
    The other risk is with letting everyone see the results of a ground-type move. Say that a flying Pokemon has immunity to ground attacks (which is what at least some of us were guessing when Kilee changed her Kecleon to be flying-type). It gets hit by Magnitude, but isn't affected because of its type. During the day, we'll all see that and know that it's flying. And then anyone with an electric/ice/rock type move will farm that Pokemon for experience and possibly damage it until it dies if there's a Pokemon out there with a move that damages. It's part of why I thought Kecleon's transformation was risky as well, but we all just kinda wrote it off.

I'm also going to wade into the Rolsand discussion one more time. I was thinking back on how he quoted Tremula had a role especially for him. Reading back on the other mafia games, I kind of believe it. She, along with Celina and anyone else who's noticed, knows that his posting style can become really irritating for the players at large and the players end up trying to lynch him regardless of his role (or until he reveals that he's definitely town, like when he revealed as Mayor in that one game, then just gets straight up ignored and people continue playing like he's not even there). When he was asking for one more night to reveal, with him saying he was town and a third party, I figured he just meant he had another win condition to fulfill than just "vanilla town win". It feels like he has a win condition that's something like "you win with the town, but only if you survive the first day". Or "win with town, but you need to survive x number of day phases or you lose no matter what". Basically giving him a win condition that incentivises him to not piss people off. Wild speculation on my part but it's why I want to believe him for now.
    Wait I was texting and read that wrong ignore me
    Phoebus said:
    Melali said:

Objection: if you're planning to nullify Sandshrew, it won't work. Nuzzle is an electric-type move, and ground types are immune to electric.

• Melali said:

While I'd still prefer to see the actual effects of it, I think this would be good enough for now, to at least confirm he really does have the move.
  • Iosion said:
    @Dylara No worries! This is my first game so I just trying to harp on the things I pick up so I can get better! Don't want to bully :)
    Takes a lot to bully me in Mafia, no worries.

• The logistics of a ditto that can copy AND use the move in the same turn don't really work. The player world have to choose a target, Tremula would need to wait until all actions are in to see if the ditto was blocked, then he'd have to inform dittos player what the power was, and the player would have to decide to use it or not. There's just not enough time
    Lehki said:
    Melali said:

While I'd still prefer to see the actual effects of it, I think this would be good enough for now, to at least confirm he really does have the move.
    Now that I'm not half looking at my phone and half looking at the thread (I learned my lesson and won't text and Mafia anymore promise), if you wanna compromise and do the Intimidate thing just to confirm he has Magnitude, that's fine by me.
  • I do have a cooldown, which is at least until the next Day. And if he does use it again, well, Lynch!