the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Checking in via mobile. No one visited me or my Pokemon. I've been reading what I can but since I can't quotr anything I'll wait til later for a substantial post.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    So just @Cen and @Kalaneya left to check in.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Melali said:
    @Phoebus: It also helped Rolsand in determining that he was trustworthy, and it was a major reason he wasn't lynched. Granted, that became defunct after he got killed in the night, but at the time it was helping him. Additionally, us not lynching Rolsand led to lynching Kilee, who turned out to be the Serial Killer. 

I did really think that Rolsand was lying about having Magnitude. Here is a power that nobody wants him to use and that's also very similar to a power already used. In my mind, my usage fulfilled two roles: it revealed, for certain, that Rolsand had a Sandshrew, and that his Sandshrew knew Magnitude. Is that not an investigative usage?

Additionally, the knowledge that there is a Pokemon ability to block Pokemon abilities that can be used reactively instead of randomly will probably inhibit the Mafia's actions. Does it bring up the possibility that the Mafia will work together, to use multiple actions in one turn so that I have to choose who to block? Sure. However, that would be a risk after I used the move once. To me, I was just biting the bullet a little sooner in order to get an immediate reward. Also, my move may change, either when my Pokemon evolves or through an event. 
    I don't think the Magnitude misfire was a key component in the survival of Rolsand at all. Personally I thought it was obvious Rolsand wasn't lying about the abilities he had - he was pretty torn up about people still seeing him as a threat despite sharing everything he had with us. Unfortunately for him, it doesn't really matter if you're honest when the things you're telling people make you look dangerous. The only time you can successfully trade information for your life in Mafia is when it tells people you're more useful to them when you're still alive. Saying "I have the potential to be hugely disruptive, but pinky swear I won't. You won't kill me now that I've told you, right?" doesn't work out well for the defendant. Ultimately, I believe Rolsand saved himself from a lynch when he shared what his mysterious third party win condition actually entailed. If he was being truthful about not planning to use it, he probably could've just told us that from the start of the interrogation and cut the thread length down by about 20 pages. >_>;
  • I'm fine with getting off of Melali for awhile. Some other things I think going after:

@Salome: Do you have anything more than hearing some crying? I can think of a few pokemon moves that might be referencing.(also my first thought on that being told she was useless comment was Tremula being sassy about her missing the first day)

Are we going to see that sweet scent ability trigger again today? And see somebody wake up later? I recall somebody saying their pokemon had that ability but they weren't the one that did it, so could there two people unable to post right now? Part of why I've been posting so much, trying to push that along. <_<

What's up with the double Victory Star? I could possibly by there being two pokemon that know earthquake type moves, and two knowing sleep type moves. But two Victini's? No way. There has to be somebody with the copycat move or a Ditto on the train.
  • I'm comfortable with backseating Melali at this point and just using him as a backup lynch option. I don't think we're going to get much further with this line of questioning.

The intimidate move was dumb as far as I'm concerned, and the reasoning behind it is flimsy at best. "Better sooner than later," and "it could change," are terrible rationales to reveal on day 1, especially when several of the town had spoken out against the whole song and dance in the first place. 

Frankly, I had zero doubt that Rolsand was being honest about magnitude, explained my reasoning in depth, and and deeply suspicious of anyone that continued to push the issue. I really don't get how anyone could look at that situation and go "oh he's lying about that." Why would a mafia member make up a random day action that someone would call him out on to demonstrate? It makes zero sense, it would've been the world's easiest bluff to call. Mafia claiming a day action superpower would just be stupid beyond measure.

So it was either terrible judgement or pushing something he already knew, which would be Rolsand is town. Either is enough to lynch for me, barring a better choice.

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Lehki said:

What's up with the double Victory Star? I could possibly by there being two pokemon that know earthquake type moves, and two knowing sleep type moves. But two Victini's? No way. There has to be somebody with the copycat move or a Ditto on the train.
    My assumption was that Victini's ability is multi-targeted.
  • Phoebus said:
    Lehki said:

My assumption was that Victini's ability is multi-targeted.
    A double targeted protection for a legendary pokemon? I guess, yeah. I already has some suspicion of a Ditto before this though, so I'm still pretty suspicious of that.
    Also I just checked and this is about the the 170th post since day started? How long were those Sleep moves supposed to last? Thought it was like 30-50.
  • Silvanus said:
    My Pokemon has hypnosis/sleep/sing and other variations and it does exactly as Othero said, it puts someone to sleep for 10 to 30 posts. I was not the one that used it on Othero, my action failed because the person was not home.

Vivet said:
    Makaela said:
    @Vivet did you and/or your Pokemon act at all during the night?

Yeah. I've debated bringing it up, but I guess I'll go ahead and admit I put Othero to sleep. I was expecting it to work more like a roleblock during the night, but it looks like I was very wrong! And Othero turned out to be a poor choice anyways.

• Sylandra said:
    I think we are putting lots of heat on Melali right now and while that's not a bad thing by itself, I think it's taking away from some other topics I want discussed.

@Salome your post you made in response to my question before seemed really vague. Can you clarify it for me in mafia terms, not flavor terms? Is that a fancy way of saying nothing happened to you, or are you saying something did happen?
    Nothing to report, honestly. I just know that I wasn't helpful.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Lehki said:
    I'm fine with getting off of Melali for awhile. Some other things I think going after:

@Salome: Do you have anything more than hearing some crying? I can think of a few pokemon moves that might be referencing.(also my first thought on that being told she was useless comment was Tremula being sassy about her missing the first day)

Are we going to see that sweet scent ability trigger again today? And see somebody wake up later? I recall somebody saying their pokemon had that ability but they weren't the one that did it, so could there two people unable to post right now? Part of why I've been posting so much, trying to push that along. <_<

The only thing I heard was the crying, but it was late at night. It woke me up, in my message.
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
    Huh. It has to mean something though right? We have people claiming no night message at all despite sending Pokemon to do things. I find it odd you'd get a random sobbing flavor text, and nothing else.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • We've had a couple people so far note getting targeted by something but not being immediately clear on what it actually did, Synkarin's Pumpkaboo attack most notably. 

Crying might have been Fake Tears maybe?
    You know, I wonder if it's like what @Krackenor said he thinks the Sylveon did to him: make you easier to lynch. Would also tie into "feeling useless" etc.
    Daraius said:
  • On second thought, in an attempt to be less cryptic and more open with this, let me provide more information without naming and shaming.

My night consisted of three occurrences:
    1. I set out to take my action. I pass people of no importance in the halls until:
    2. I run into an overeager trainer (who was named to me) who begs with apparently genuine curiosity and interest to see my pokemon so that they could register it in their pokedex. Perhaps this trainer was a big fan of shorts too, I'm not sure. Wanting to be rid of them as quickly as possible, I show off my pokemon and little Joey wannabe registers it and skedaddles.
    3. After apparently completing my mission, I head back to my cabin when I'm distracted by a floating ribbon belonging to the aforementioned Sylveon. She then blasts me with moonfire, leaving me unharmed but with a feeling of dread.
    What has me interested right now is that despite every indication that my action was successful, IT DID NOT HAPPEN based on Day 2 conversations thus far. This leads me to one of two conclusions: my target is lying and therefore very likely mafia, or my eager beaver visitor is a roleblocker in conjunction with a pokemon cataloger, but one who can do so without an obvious message. Like I said earlier, I don't want to name either player quite yet in case I'm missing some important information, but I absolutely will if I'm not satisfied later in the day.
    The plot thickens! @Krackenor can I ask if you did the same thing tonight that you did to me last night? And if so, was it successful on me? I didn't get any indication of what you did.
    Daraius said:
  • Okay well most likely you were hit by Moonblast. It has a chance of lowering special attack in game, but that doesn't really help clear up what it actually did to you. =/
    Sylandra said:
    The plot thickens! @Krackenor can I ask if you did the same thing tonight that you did to me last night? And if so, was it successful on me? I didn't get any indication of what you did.

I meant to refer to last night and the night before. Obviously tonight hasn't happened yet. Sorry, kind of tired.
    Daraius said:
  • Sylandra said:
    I did, and it apparently was.
    Hmmmm! I want to ask questions but will trust you staying quiet on this for now. Very odd though that I got no indicator of what you did. Or is that to be expected?
    Daraius said:
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited July 2016
    As the conversation begins heading underway, it is halted momentarily as Champion Alec emerges with the old man from before, trailed by two muscular, tanned women dragging a machine atop a board through the sands. When it plops down, the Champion thanks them and they step back, smiling softly at those gathered as Alec announces:

"This was supposed to happen yesterday, but...well, we didn't get here." He rubs his eyes tiredly, and continues on, saying, "This is a trading machine. Anyone who uses it can have the opportunity to trade your Pokemon for one of the Pokemon I've...uh..." he blanches, but continues softly, "...started taking care of since our journey began, or with someone elses. Uh..." He looks around, and under his breath says, "Pidgey, Fearow, Grimer, Muk, who'll get picked, I don't give a..."

He sighs, and waves his hand dismissively. "Figure it out amongst yourselves. If you agree to a trade, just let me know, and I'll handle the technical side of it." With that having been said, Alec sits with his back against the machine, closing his eyes and growing as still as a statue.

The Trading Event has begun!

Each person will have one chance to trade, whether with the pool in the Champion's Car or with another trainer, but that is the only trade they may perform this event. The Champion's Car currently contains: Kecleon, Sandshrew, and an unknown Pokemon. The first person to express interest in a Pokemon in the Champion's pool may make a trade. If your Pokemon enters the Champion's pool via trade, it IS available for others to pick up. Trade wisely. 

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Er...to be fair to those in different timezones or with jobs/responsibilities/etc could the people interested in a Champion's car pokemon be entered into a pool possibly and picked at random instead of first come first serve?
  • Can I ask Champion Alec about the third unknown Pokemon? I don't want to trade, merely to inquire.
    Originally, you would not be able to take someone else's Pokemon. For example, if Melali traded in her Deino, it wouldn't be able to be gotten. In the spirit of other people with Adult things to do or who are in different timezones, this has been altered. There are no weak Pokemon, just new ones. However, as their is one unknown Pokemon in the pool, I will take this suggestion and hold the unknown ball back. People with known time zone issues will be entered into a pool to have the chance at this Pokemon. 

• Sorry, you guys should never expect to hear from me before 10 AM my time (which is in half an hour).

Just checking in on my phone to say I have nothing to report. I'll catch up on what I've missed and post again later on.

*rolls over and goes back to sleep*

Melali said:
    Can I ask Champion Alec about the third unknown Pokemon? I don't want to trade, merely to inquire.
    Glancing up at the question, Alec opens his eyes wearily before saying, "It belonged to Alary. I haven't let it out since he passed, I didn't...I don't..." he trails off, shaking his head before closing his eyes once more.

• Is the trading public or could somebody acquire a pokemon without us seeing?
  • I'll take the unknown.
    Lehki said:
    Is the trading public or could somebody acquire a pokemon without us seeing?
    Entirely public. Trade wisely.

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I'll take the Kecleon
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.