Touhou Mafia: Extreme Shrine Makeover Edition

Comments

• LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    You guys talk a lot when I'm not around!

I haven't duelled yet, no. I can't help but think everyone has been a bit hasty in leaping into them. I had thought to perhaps be strategic, but I have no particular disinclination to duel. Day 0 I didn't really get the mechanic so forfeited. I haven't been challenged since and have no great urge to challenge anyone else. I think my cards will be revealing, and I'm reluctant to give away too much so early in the game without a good reason.

Basically I don't want to duel for the sake of it. There could be greater consequences to the results than we realise in winning and losing, even exhibition matches. 

I would like to see if Tamashi can learn more with his duelling, but pending that I think lynching Kalaneya is probably the right way to move forward.

• Can you explain why you think lynching Kalaneya is a good idea? I'm really not understanding the argument.
  • I think that Vivet thought she was Ratatoskr.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Ushaara said:
    @Vivet for whenever you have more time, can you elaborate a bit more on why you think presence of Buddhists/Moriya shrine contingency is important? Are they rivals to Hakurei shrine peeps?
    Bumping this question for @Vivet since we've had a few more people revealed as Buddhist.

(Initially asked since I thought that if the Pollux/Ratatoskr theory was indeed correct, Buddha himself may have been the third outsider, having been in the Ratatoskr game and could be the potential cult leader. Seemingly not the case if Yarith is telling the truth.)
  • Falmiis said:
    I think that Vivet thought she was Ratatoskr.
    But based on what?
  • I think it was because she had claimed to be one of the non-native people, before we realized that it probably meant non-touhou characters. There was also some talk about wanting to see her fighting style I think? But nothing about that came off as odd to me, unlike Ileein's and Yarith's.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    @Ushaara The idea there was to snoop around for some context for the game's setup. It's important to note that Reimu does function as a sort of anchor for a lot of the cast. Her presence helps keep everyone in line, and she's the one that specifically tends to the Great Hakurei Barrier.

So, in a plot where we suddenly have no Reimu for unspecified reasons and for an unspecified length of time, and a levelled Hakurei Shrine, it seems important to consider whose behaviours might change (and why) and whether or not the Barrier itself could be a target.

So let's consider the Moriya Shrine for a moment. There's a lot to consider there, and you could read about the plot arc of not just Mountain of Faith, but the context of Kanako's influence in Subterranean Animism as well.

At which point, you could sit back and say hey, okay, I think Sanae is here. That's not too unusual or bothersome. She's been showing up at lots of incidents and doing her part to retain order. But if among our 22 roles, both Suwako and Kanako are present as well (especially Kanako, whose primary interest almost always seems to be accumulating greater influence/faith), then maybe it is time to keep a more critical eye in their direction.

Meanwhile, potential clashing between Buddhist and Taoist factions seems like it'd make great grounds for a game plotline, especially in the vacuum left by Reimu's seeming absence. If you don't understand why, you might look more closely at the history between Byakuren and Miko.

And then there's still a chance Kira's cooked up some interesting plot of her own that is more her personal flavour, which could open a lot of different options.

So, who tries to go after who, and why? Still contemplating and considering that as we move along.

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    I still stress that there is likely a cult or at least some conversion to Buddhist/Taoist. I may be paranoid IDK but the role pm stating you start out as town bothers me a bit.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wording has caught everyone's attention. Or everyone who is starting out as town, at least.
  • Personally, my guess is that one or more of us have special conditions, when if met change our roles. Compare it to my role in the Chimaera mafia; when I was attacked, I became an SK instead of town.
    Oh, that's reminded me.

@Yarith I am hoping to possibly pick up a little more context for your presence. If I am not mistaken, you have said previously that you are Shu, and your primary motive is fun seeking. This seems to match up with your overall spellcard battle flavour. However...

How exactly did you get here? My first thought would be travelling with Pollux, but if that were the case then I'd expect you'd be working together. Do you have any idea how you ended up here, or did it just kind of happen, from your perspective?

• @Vivet honestly I have no idea! Just poof! Here! I have no idea who this Pollux guy is or this Rat guy is, they don't really have anything to do with me. All I know is that I THINK I am the only one of my kind here. Hop hop hop.
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • If Kalaneya challenged me while I was away, I didn't see any bold challenges. Still waiting on my exhibition with Iosion to conclude as well.

@Kalaneya I accept your challenge! We fight for enlightenment, Spirits of Human Desire!
  • At this point I'm going to Vote Ileein. I feel like Yarith and Ileein's stories don't really match up, but the result of lynching Ileein will give us more information to work with.
    Being " unable to resist " a role claim when there really was no reason to, other than a small opening about saying that being from outside is harmless is really suspicious to me. This sounds like a big set up to me.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Was Yarith part of the Chimaera mafia? 'cause if so he might be Reisen or one of the other Lunar Rabbits trying to pretend not to be, maybe? 

I dunno, my brain stopped braining.
    Yarith said:
    @Vivet honestly I have no idea! Just poof! Here! I have no idea who this Pollux guy is or this Rat guy is, they don't really have anything to do with me. All I know is that I THINK I am the only one of my kind here. Hop hop hop.
    Ah? Most fascinating. Thank you for your input.

• Tamashi said:
    If Kalaneya challenged me while I was away, I didn't see any bold challenges. Still waiting on my exhibition with Iosion to conclude as well.

@Kalaneya I accept your challenge! We fight for enlightenment, Spirits of Human Desire!
    whoops, forgot to bold it. challenge is on page 24, @Kiradawea
  • I missed the Chimaera Mafia, can someone give me a rundown? Are we assuming that Yarith is a Lunar Rabbit cause that weird hop hop thing?
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • Yarith said:
    @Vivet honestly I have no idea! Just poof! Here! I have no idea who this Pollux guy is or this Rat guy is, they don't really have anything to do with me. All I know is that I THINK I am the only one of my kind here. Hop hop hop.
    This is super odd considering we're supposed to be brothers, I'm pretty sure.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • Melali said:
    Just to reiterate what @Ileein has claimed:

Name = Pollux (corroborated by Tamashi. Tamashi not yet corroborated by @Ssaliss being Alice)
    Ability = investigative power (reveals what about target? Just if Rat or not?)
    Ability = night-kill immune (unable to be killed by Mafia, unless strongarm?)
    Goal = have Rat lynched (Since no recourse for night-kill, maybe Rat also night-kill immune? Also, does he fail if he's stumped? After all, can't be part of lynch train if stumped.)
    Spellcards = not lasers/bullets (maybe non-Touhou also have non-lasers/bullets?)

Anyway, the thing that irks me is that the Investigative power, if just figuring out if not Mafia, could be copied by someone in the Mafia. Also, being night-kill immune could also mean that he won't be targeted by the Mafia. Finally, the confusion on whether or not his goal is achievable after his death could confuse the reason as to why he doesn't flip on death, if he actually doesn't flip on death.

On the other hand, if he is third party and has told only the truth, then the keeping him alive A) depends entirely on not lynching him, which can be controlled by Town and b) may have utility, depending on how in depth his investigative power is.

So, what should we do with Ileein?
    Sorry, didn't see this. Investigative ability reveals role name, but not powers or win conditions or anything like that. Sort of like Tamashi's, I understand? Except that I imagine it's 100% guaranteed to find Rat, if nothing else.
  • And lynching me would be, as I mentioned, a terrible idea as it is not unlikely to do something funky with Rat's role. In fact, I would look at the people who are gunning hard for me rather suspiciously. (Or, in a Wine In Front Of Me sort of way, the people who aren't gunning hard for me but "are persuadable.")
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    ((Elena)"Brothers" isn't it? I'd hardly consider it a familial bond given the fact you were both created in a laboratory from disparate synthetic DNA sequences. The sheer number of patents I needed to file... (/Elena))

Shu was also rabben.
  • Oh. Well. Maybe we are. I just like playing games. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the other mafias and when I came here I was very, very aware that I had no idea if anyone like me was here at all. 
    (I'm the mom of Hallifax btw, so if you are in Hallifax please call me mom.)

== Professional Girl Gamer == 
    Yes I play games
    Yes I'm a girl
    get over it
  • Luce said:
    ((Elena)"Brothers" isn't it? I'd hardly consider it a familial bond given the fact you were both created in a laboratory from disparate synthetic DNA sequences. The sheer number of patents I needed to file... (/Elena))

Shu was also rabben.
    Fair enough, I didn't actually play in either the chimaera or the gods and monsters mafia so I've had to go based on the role lists and what little i've been able to read of the flavor.
    http://forums.lusternia.com/discussion/2208/chimaera-mafia-game-thread/p45

Role cards from the Chimaera game are on that page. I feel like Yarith's behaviour is consistent with what/who Shu is supposed to be. Pollux is also there.

• UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Cheers for the response, @Vivet.

Did you share your win condition somewhere @Yarith? What is it?
  • Ileein said:
    Melali said:
    Just to reiterate what @Ileein has claimed:

Name = Pollux (corroborated by Tamashi. Tamashi not yet corroborated by @Ssaliss being Alice)
    Ability = investigative power (reveals what about target? Just if Rat or not?)
    Ability = night-kill immune (unable to be killed by Mafia, unless strongarm?)
    Goal = have Rat lynched (Since no recourse for night-kill, maybe Rat also night-kill immune? Also, does he fail if he's stumped? After all, can't be part of lynch train if stumped.)
    Spellcards = not lasers/bullets (maybe non-Touhou also have non-lasers/bullets?)

Anyway, the thing that irks me is that the Investigative power, if just figuring out if not Mafia, could be copied by someone in the Mafia. Also, being night-kill immune could also mean that he won't be targeted by the Mafia. Finally, the confusion on whether or not his goal is achievable after his death could confuse the reason as to why he doesn't flip on death, if he actually doesn't flip on death.

On the other hand, if he is third party and has told only the truth, then the keeping him alive A) depends entirely on not lynching him, which can be controlled by Town and b) may have utility, depending on how in depth his investigative power is.

So, what should we do with Ileein?
    Sorry, didn't see this. Investigative ability reveals role name, but not powers or win conditions or anything like that. Sort of like Tamashi's, I understand? Except that I imagine it's 100% guaranteed to find Rat, if nothing else.
    Whoops, this was wrong, actually I reveal role name and ability.

So I've got that to offer!
  • Thanks. Are we also considering that their roles are exactly the same? I mean...that wouldn't be too fun if we could just check past games for their current abilities...
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • Iosion said:
    Thanks. Are we also considering that their roles are exactly the same? I mean...that wouldn't be too fun if we could just check past games for their current abilities...
    My role, at the very least, is completely different (well, sorta different, rather than independently investigating and then reporting the result to another person, I just investigate myself). So I wouldn't be shocked if all three are.

And if Yarith is to be believed in his claims, then I think we've worked out who the three non-natives are from the census: myself/Pollux, Ratatoskr, and Yarith/Shu. That makes an even three, and it seems we can discount the people who live in Gensokyo but who originated from the Real World beyond.
    If Ratatoskr is here, I seriously doubt he's got all the tricks he had from Gods and Monsters. It is likely that they are similar, but not mirrors.