Real World Raves

Comments

• Lavinya said:
    I adore rainy days.
    Rainy days are evil!!!

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• I have patiently waited for a few things to happen over the last couple of years.  They are finally happening and now all happening at once.  Huzzah!!!

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Came to a life changing decision tonight with my wife.  It'll be interesting to see where it takes us.
  • edited March 2014
    Rainy days are awesome, but living in Vegas, they are but a distant memory now.

When I was in the philippines, the sound of tropical rain through the open windows helped me sleep at night.

Anyways, for my own rave, I just got a brand new laptop today, due to the demise of my 3 year old Toshiba.  It's an Asus X750J.  Intel Core i7 haswell processor, with 2.4 ghz(up to 3.2 IIRC), 1 TB of storage, and 8 GB of ram(will eventually be 16).  Comes with a 17.3" screen and a nice stainless steel body.  No more plastic Toshibas for this guy.  Really digging it so far, but Windows 8 takes some getting used to, as well as the new keyboard and trackpad, but that will come.  Downside is it just has Intel HD graphics, but I couldn't justify springing an extra $200 for the same machine with an nVidia, since I don't game much.

Stangmar - Retired

• SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Sweaters for rainy days! 
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• I like rainy days,  if it's warm rain. Nothing beats the smell of rain falling on hot pavements in summer. Or curling up with a book on a roofed balcony. 
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Rainy days are just "days" here.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Found a site that sells one of my favorite shampoos for $6 (+ S&H) for 6 bottles, each bottle being 18oz.

Yessss.
  • Updated the new laptop to Windows 8.1 today.  I have to say, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
    Stangmar - Retired

• Especially with things like Classic Shell that reintroduce a start menu, allow you to boot directly to desktop, and make several other incredibly nice livability tweaks.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Ileein said:
    Especially with things like Classic Shell that reintroduce a start menu, allow you to boot directly to desktop, and make several other incredibly nice livability tweaks.
    Wait, wait...how do you do that?
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • http://www.classicshell.net/

Just download and install!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    As in, it doesn't come standard as part of Windows. Of course :) .
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Oh, no. The user interface for 8 is a total mess that Microsoft really ought to be ashamed of. The underlying architecture is good, though, and several nice optimizations were made between 7 and 8. For example, if you use SSDs, 8 is better-equipped to handle those.
  • I'm actually not minding the Windows 8 UI.

At all.  I adapt quickly though.  I dropped into Android from my iPod touch very easily.

And holy crap, this thing boots.  Fast.
    Stangmar - Retired

• edited March 2014
    My main objection to it is that it's a perfectly adequately designed touchscreen UI. Which they then arbitrarily decided would also be the UI for all of their desktop and laptop computers as well. UIs should be designed differently based on the intended method of input. I know what they were trying to do-- create a unified aesthetic across their entire line-- but what they succeeded in doing instead was shoehorning a touchscreen design philosophy based around large tappable tiles into an environment probably better suited and certainly more used to other things. Also scaring away a lot of people who really just wanted their start menu.

The boot speed is probably my favorite thing about 8 though. I have it booting from a tiny little 128 gig SSD that I use only for Windows and drivers, and it boots in the time it takes me to take my shoes off.
  • Nearly 20C and sunshine. Everyone is bitching that we have to work during such nice weather. I am just glad this is fixing up my SAD finally. That and / or the anti-fatigue supplements my doctor prescribed me are already working, but considering I started them today I'd be surprised. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • I installed Chrome on my work computer against the wishes of IT.
    Stangmar - Retired

Nobody knows I've installed Linux on my office computer (granted, I am the only person (of two) in the building the majority of the time, and I had to bring the computer from home anyway).
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Stangmar said:
    I installed Chrome on my work computer against the wishes of IT.
    If it is against their wishes, you probably did yourself a favour, as I wouldn't trust such an IT department to have my back.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    Chrome's been seriously irritating me recently, they seem to find it impossible to retain a working version of Flash that is compatible with Adblock.

And no I don't want to run your crappy Pepperflash, stop turning it back on.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Chrome is so much faster than Firefox, and it's not IE or Safari. I love it.

• Morkarion said:
    Chrome's been seriously irritating me recently, they seem to find it impossible to retain a working version of Flash that is compatible with Adblock.

Quick Google shows me it is a known issue that they are looking to fix. Flash is horrible though and should go DIAF. HTML5 is the future.
    Last time I tried Chrome, it was still in its data-mining phase, and the privacy options were laughably inadequate compared to what I was used to. So I stopped using it and never went back.

• I have Chrome at work because it is fast, but for home use I prefer the sturdiness of Firefox. The latter also has better addon support imo. Firefox allows for custom menus, so Pocket for example has a menu with articles I might want to read when I am on Firefox. On Chrome, all I get is a button to send something to Pocket. Same goes for some other addons.
    Rialorm said:
    Morkarion said:

Quick Google shows me it is a known issue that they are looking to fix. Flash is horrible though and should go DIAF. HTML5 is the future.
    It's been a known issue since the previous build got pushed to live back in January.

But yes, my hate for Flash.

• Adblock is horrible. :(
  • I like chrome because of the speed and integration with my phone and Google services.
    Stangmar - Retired