What are you reading?

Comments

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.

Estarra said:
    Currently reading Book of the Crowman, the second novel in the duology of Black Dawn. First novel is Black Feathers.

Not sure I recommend it as I find it a slow read, but for Glomdoritos and their admirers, it is about Crow and his Dark Messiah and returning to nature and battling civilization. It's a dark fantasy set in the present day during an environmental collapse.

This sounds good. I love post apocalypse/post civilization collapse style books
  • The Red Lion: The Elixir of Eternal Life

A great spiritual book concealed as a novel.

• The epitome of travel books... Dan Brown's 'Inferno'.

What a load of crock.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Queen Victoria's Book of Spells: An Anthology of Gaslamp Fantasy

B-)
  • I've just started The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, which is acclaimed as "one of the most insightful texts on the subtle arts of confrontation and victory to emerge from Asia."
  • As soon as I put down The Passage, I simply had to buy its sequel The Twelve. It took me some time to get into the story when I started reading, but once you are inside, it's very gripping. I love how Cronin shifts from one POV [spoiler]while sometimes killing off characters in a George R.R. Martin-like way[/spoiler] to another, sometimes even jumping years doing so. And his usage of other media like newspapers or diaries to narrate some chapters, is also very refreshing in my opinion. And of course the setting...a biohazard vampiric-zombie apocalypse.
  • Currently finishing "Blood of elves" by the polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski. Witcher fans whataaa, ooh-ooh :)
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    The Emperor of all Maladies. Seriously, the writing in this book is gripping.
  • I moved on from Roxane Gay's An Untamed State and moved to Zadie Smith's On Beauty. The contrast between the two writers is so interesting. Gay's style is very punch-y, but incredibly descriptive; meanwhile Smith has a flowing, almost melodic way in which she describes settings and characters. Smith is also pretty hilarious! 
  • Just finished reading The Twelve and am now waiting for City of Mirrors to be released in 2015. I never thought that I could enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction but I simply love Cronin's writing style.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I picked up a compilation of three Dragonriders of Pern books on my coworker's repeated recommendation. The premise is pretty cool but the narrative hasn't grabbed me yet. Right now imagining all the characters as furries is amusing enough to get from page to page.  :bz

I'm heavily considering getting Ancillary Justice next time I order something from Amazon. Petra Mayer of NPR geeks out about it so hard I can barely resist.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    edited September 2014
    Daraius said:
    I picked up a compilation of three Dragonriders of Pern books on my coworker's repeated recommendation. The premise is pretty cool but the narrative hasn't grabbed me yet. Right now imagining all the characters as furries is amusing enough to get from page to page.  :bz

I'm heavily considering getting Ancillary Justice next time I order something from Amazon. Petra Mayer of NPR geeks out about it so hard I can barely resist.

Get deeper into the series and you'll fall in love. It gets really cool later on, but personally I ADORE the Harper part of the series. 

Both of my dog's that my mom killed were named after characters from that series. Aramina and Jancis
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Daraius said:
    The shifting perspectives between the early chapters might be confusing early on, but I feel like the first chapter does a good job of involving you enough to get you through it. I ended up breezing through it when I normally take more time with books. My biggest complaint is an ending that leaves a clear and distinct set up for another book, but that's more a general pet peeve.
    Awesome, thanks guys. I'm an easy sell, so those recommendations are enough for me. :)
    I used to make cakes.

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    I still can't express how much I adore harper's in the pern series. Their society is so cool and makes me jealous
  • Rick Riordan. His books take a little getting used to but his characters are likable and well written. 

Darkfever - I'm only at the beginning, but I already detest the air headed female heroine. She spends a lot of time describing her clothes and how good she looks or making herself look good in response to dangerous situations (i.e threatened and nearly killed) - to feel safe.

-_-". I'm hoping it'll pick up and turn out like the sookie stackhouse series. Entertaining.
    is dead like the dodo
  • edited September 2014
    Xeria said:
    Rick Riordan. His books take a little getting used to but his characters are likable and well written. 

My littlest sister adores Rick Riordan. He has a special place in my heart for getting her to love books.

(PS: I'm currently reading Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay and I love it so much.)
  • How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. Only one chapter in yet but it's already hilarious and at the same time painfully recognizable when she speaks about her experience with bullies. Seems to be a very hit or miss book when I look at the reviews. 
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • I'm just finishing up a thriller right now called Killing Floor, by Lee Child. The main character is Jack Reacher, who actually has a movie out (streaming on netflix), which is based off of a later book in the series.

Anybody want to join up for LOTR book club around Christmas time? It's always been a tradition of mine.
    Her storm-coloured eyes a muted blue, Lisaera, the Silver Goddess says, "Only sorrow can come from a rotting thought, My child, just like roots that have been drowned. You are a paragon of the wisdom I would see spread throughout the Serenwilde, but even the strongest minds must find release."
    -
    A shimmering liquid appears in your inventory smelling sweetly of something carbonated. It vanishes in a puff of silver smoke seconds later.
    -
    I write things
  • Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz-Zafon. It's gorgeous. Also, so many feels.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Arien said:
    I'm just finishing up a thriller right now called Killing Floor, by Lee Child. The main character is Jack Reacher, who actually has a movie out (streaming on netflix), which is based off of a later book in the series.

Anybody want to join up for LOTR book club around Christmas time? It's always been a tradition of mine.
    I've been secretly in love with Jack Reacher for years now. I just bought the newest actually but haven't started yet. I really enjoy those books! I'm still wary of midget Tom Cruise as giant tough guy Jack Reacher so I can't bring myself to watch the movie just yet.

• It's a good film but he's not Reacher. I pretend he's his distant cousin who happens to share the same name.

I'm trying to read the Wheel of Time books again as I really want to see how it ends but need a refresher as it's been years since I read the first ones.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I want to both like and agree with that! I'm yet to read the last Wheel of Time book, too...I'm not sure I can drag myself through the last few RJ wrote again though, they were painfully slow.

edited September 2014
    Munsia said: "Get deeper into the series and you'll fall in love. It gets really cool later on, but personally I ADORE the Harper part of the series."

I just finished Dragonflight and you were totally right. Masterharper Robinton is what I wanted my Achaea character to be. I love that the next book starts with him front and center.  
    :x
    I used to make cakes.

• edited September 2014
    Ohh pern so much of my childhood reading anne's works. She's like 90% of my bookshelf real estate.You have to try reading the harper hall trilogy. Virtuapern moo was my first MUD love, but that closed. I think Harper's Tale and SouCon are still up.

I'm not terribly fond of things past Masterharper though. Ie works with her son... It just didnt feel the same.

I'm a consent-based roleplayer! Kindly ask first, and I will return the favour. Open to developing tinyplots.
    Atlantis is my client of choice! (Guide)
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Love reading Rick Riordan's stuff, outside of the 39 Clues, which wasn't exclusively him.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    The Night Circus!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Magic bites series by Ilona Andrews. It's supernatural chick lit basically. Only with guns, violence, romance and scheming. It's a good read and a good way to pass an afternoon. The books come in 300-400 ish pages. It's a good way to pass an afternoon 

If you liked reading that, you'll also love Kelley Armstrong's otherworld series. As far as I'm concerned, Kelly armstrong invented the genre of urban supernatural fantasy or whatever it's called.

Mercedes Lackey is pretty good reading in small doses. She does fur people, animal people, telepathic talking horses, telepathic birds who take to being a falconer's bird very well. She also does dragons, sci-fi and faerie tales with a twist. She's good with premise but her stories tend to be written in the same style. After awhile, her books feel like you're reading the same thing over and over, just dressed up differently. 

Try the 500 Kingdom series. The first book grabbed my attention. It's hard to make a book do that. 
    is dead like the dodo