Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited February 2015
    I find this argument increasingly more entertaining.

I've given
    you multiple avenues to solve it ICly, yet we will continue to discuss
    it OOCly, and offer up things like a.) you don't control your citizens,
    b.) remember that time you mentioned cloudcoils, c.) things have been
    solved OOCly before!, d.) Marcella and Arcanis are buddiesbuddies so
    nothing would be done anyways, or e.) attacking me as a person.

Counterpoint:
     A.) No one's city leaders control everyone, nor is it up to the city
    leader to control their actions. You are supposed to uphold the laws, no
    laws are against pathways, there are laws against theft.
    B.) My issue
    was dismissed, you brought up the issue Elanorwen, not me. You were the
    one that started to discuss the entirety of what was in the issue. So,
    as the issue was dismissed, it wasn't OOC information, so you can stop
    bringing that up now.
     C.) @Enyalida Whether or
    not things have been solved OOCly before or not is irrelevant, this is a
    different issue entirely, and perhaps, if all IC avenues were exhausted
    after multiple attempts, then maybe we can go to the wink-wink stage.
     D.) They might be butt buddies, but this is how diplomacy works. If you
    want someone to stop doing something, you will have to provide enough
    incentive to make it worth it. I am sorry you waited till I got
    replaced, when it would've been much cheaper, and now you have to deal
    with someone who has the Warlord in their back pocket, driving up your
    bargaining price. Again, maybe six months ago, you could've fixed this
    much easier instead of whining about it consistently.
    And finally, e.)
    Fuck off. Don't attack me as a person

And if you want to sum up my entire argument, you can do it in three words. HANDLE IT ICLY
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    Elanorwen said:

Silvanus said:

Elanorwen said:

Silvanus said:

There is no law preventing the unravelling of pathways, just as there is no law against the people that destroy our rifts all the time.

Maybe, just maybe, you can approach the matter ICly with some politeness and tactfulness instead of the consistent whining on the forums over this topic. I was Warlord for 8 real life months and I never heard a single peep.

Nothing will ever change if those that are impacted by it don't do anything about it.

The only reason to even bring this topic to the forums multiple times is to either get OOC public support to pressure someone to do what you believe is "right," or, because you sense public perception is against it and you are farming for agrees/likes, which seems almost as stupid as bitching about a topic for over 6 months and not doing a single thing about it.

Amusingly, there is no law that prevents theft from Magnagorans who have no selfishness either. Yet when vestiphobia was a thing, people would look up individuals that lost robes and similar implements during fights, including backpacks full of gold and hand them back to their respective owners. If I hear that any of my Aeros are using TP dominates to steal anything from a member of another organization, they will get bitchslapped so hard their grandchildren will feel it... but sure, let's say we're not doing a single thing about any of those issues either because see... there's no laws against them, eh?

Please spare the load of bull you seem so intent on unleashing and direct your creative juices into a more productive venue. I hear Magnagora could use some fiction books.
    Next:

-snip-
    III. Theft

- Don't.

IV. Treason
    Never did I claim that I was familiar with the laws of Magnagora, nor do I care to be. Here's another little bit. Discussing issues, pending, current or dismissed on the forums is a no-no. Fun times, eh? :)
    Ignorance is no excuse.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    edited February 2015
    Enyalida said:

It's not like somebody offered help in managing the problem the literal only way it's possible to solve it entirely IC, or something.

It's also not like other OOC/Player affecting problems have been effectivly solved with IC nudge-nudge-wink-winks before, like totems. :P
    I missed this post. There are plenty of ways to solve issues ICly. Just because everyone assumes it will always be 3 orgs versus 3 orgs and that you can't have a treaty with an enemy, doesn't mean that Diplomacy doesn't exist.

As a community, we have glossed over diplomacy in an attempt to cry unfairness. I remember when the Planar collegium got changed so it didn't require going to EtherSeren or Nil or Earth or wherever enemies went, because they didn't think it was fair. It got changed so you didn't have to go into enemy territory. The easy way out. We all missed out on tons of roleplay opportunity, it wouldn't be hard at all to fix up a treaty that allowed a Magnagoran enemy to bring a novice to Nil, as long as they were watched and their presence was noted beforehand. That was an easy IC solution that all the whining OOCly over the forums forced the administration to change something that didn't need changing.

I consider that a roleplay catastrophe that has only enabled or embolden the attitude of whining to get something fixed, one that was already prevalent for a long time, one that continues on today.

I support IC solutions to IC problems, not OOC solutions to IC problems.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    I can only watch in amusement and shake my head at this point in time. I will just withdraw from this rather pointless, raging discussion before someone decides to lock the thread. Tah.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Hey, something I agree with Elanorwen on finally! This whole discussion has been pointless, what I have been saying the whole time, because there are avenues to handle it ICly.
  • Talan said:

Silvanus said:

Keep unravelling them, maybe eventually, someone will try to diplomatically resolve an issue ICly instead of crying about it for months.

So, I did actually ask Arcanis to help find ecologists to replace the paths, during the Rikenfriez revolt. His response was something like, "let me think about it...no."

I've also been trying to hunt down ecologists for the past few days... the frustration of failing to find any, or the sentiment among those that are found that he will only do it again, is what burbles out in forums-venting.

To put it frankly dear @Talan, you approached me in the middle of a revolt that lasted up to 2 hours with debates and rushing about left and right, and then asked me "When will you gather the ecologists to remake those pathways?" (paraphased yes) in such a fashion as it felt more of an indirect attempt at an insult towards me moreso than a request (which frankly made sense as we were competing in the village). How did you, in truth, expect me to reply? Did you expect Arcanis to nod sadly and vent his frustrations at his actions while asking for forgiveness? I dont do actions without thinking them through, thus I have no guilt towards unraveling the pathways that I did, nor do I seek to see them reestablished.

The fact of the matter is simple: I can do as I please with these gates and simple ranting and 'pitchforking' about it will not make them reappear. If you seek it to stop, then perhaps you should look into another solution. Till then, i'll enjoy my crumpets.
  • edited February 2015
    I find it disgusting that you think I would not throw Arcanis under the bus if I had reason to, when my entire RP is about being honorable, generally fair, and whatnot.

I'm still bitching him out for the bullshit he pulled when he lost knowledge.

This, however, has ALWAYS BEEN MAGNAGORAN DIPLOMACY - WE WILL DO SHIT UNTIL YOU OFFER US THINGS TO STOP US DOING SHIT.

We will RAISE SOULFORGE until you PUT UP A TREATY TELLING US NOT TO AND MAKE CONCESSIONS.

We will RAID THE FUCK OUT OF YOU UNTIL YOU SIGN A PEACE AGREEMENT WITH US.

We could CONSTANTLY put up the TBC, which we STARTED TO DO when NO ONE WANTED TO ALLY WITH US, so that SOMEONE WOULD ALLY WITH US.

Magnagora does not appease. Magnagora does horrible shit to you until you agree to give us things to stop it, and then we stop it. 

@Maligorn, we do not HAVE internal problems. This is exactly what Magnagora as a whole would approve of. No one has to 'deal' with Arcanis. Magnagora is the city of *freedom*, where you can do whatever the fuck you want to your enemies.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Wot? Diplomacy how? The only way to know how is doing it is to literally come upon them in the act, which is very close to impossible. You can go to all the other orgs and ask them to tell their members to cut it out, but then they have absolutely no way of knowing who is doing it, unless they happen upon them in the act.

With the exception of special events, and a few limited areas that are otherwise very difficult to get to (like Lirangsha, especially if the balloon is still bugged out), removing paths isn't really an IC hassle or frustration. It does nothing but short the player convenience time, which is why it's appropriate to politely ask players directly to cut it out, if they don't have good reason.

I'm uber-open to someone doing "I'm unraveling pathways, what up?" rp, of course... but that involves purposefully getting caught and interacting with people, which said unravellers are not compelled to do, and often don't do - so addressing it at all IC is really difficult.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    So, clearly you should all RAID MAGNAGORA until they AGREE TO PUT A LEASH ON ARCANIS. Did I do that right?

Can't we all just get along?
    Enyalida said:

Wot? Diplomacy how? The only way to know how is doing it is to literally come upon them in the act, which is very close to impossible. You can go to all the other orgs and ask them to tell their members to cut it out, but then they have absolutely no way of knowing who is doing it, unless they happen upon them in the act.

With the exception of special events, and a few limited areas that are otherwise very difficult to get to (like Lirangsha, especially if the balloon is still bugged out), removing paths isn't really an IC hassle or frustration. It does nothing but short the player convenience time, which is why it's appropriate to politely ask players directly to cut it out, if they don't have good reason.

I'm uber-open to someone doing "I'm unraveling pathways, what up?" rp, of course... but that involves purposefully getting caught and interacting with people, which said unravellers are not compelled to do, and often don't do - so addressing it at all IC is really difficult.
    How does Talan know ICly that Arcanis was doing it but everyone else is so clueless about it?

And yes Kelly, that could work. Perhaps, since Magnagora is trying to butter up Gaudiguch, you can offer Gaudiguch incentive to mention it to Magnagora.

This is how diplomacy works. There are even historical examples! England and France invaded Egypt in 1956 but then backed out under pressure from their allies in America. And there are historical examples of it not working too! This is called... Diplomacy!
    Because seriously, it's not hard to make someone's play time really miserable, or to amplify inconvenience indefinitely. A certain amount of challenge is fun, but constant petty bs quickly gets out of hand, trust and believe. It just ends up being obnoxious and pointless for everyone involved, if the mindset is less "I'm going to do xyz annoying objective because it satisfies xyz tactical objective/roleplay element I'll engage in" and  more "I'm going to do this because I can, and there isn't anything you can do to stop me".
    edited February 2015
    So people are really having a miserable time IG because Arcanis destroys pathways?

If you feel harrassed by Arcanis destroying pathways, why don't you issue yourself and let the administration decide.

If you aren't feeling harassed, and are just feeling inconvenienced, then maybe you are starting to know how Magnagora feels constantly when all their rifts are destroyed. Or how we felt when our statues were getting destroyed for over a real life year because Inagin decided to log in at 4am American time and spend a bunch of time destroying statues. Or you know how annoying it is to find random statues tuned against enemies of Clan Anonymous. Or how annoying it is to find constant running in and kicking a demon and running out. Or how amazingly petty it was to kill the sailor in Magnagora that takes novices from Mag to Spectre Isle. Or how when the Demon Lords were killed, that Gaudi/Glom/Celest spent time in Mag killing every single mob of the spectre cycle, just to knock down the shield. And then did it again two weeks later. Edit: Oh! I forgot about how often the Spire was put up, but thankfully, everybody got their Vernal curios.

If you want to solve just one annoyance thing because it inconveniences you, I don't care. If you want to solve all these problems at once OOCly, then we can have an open and honest discussion.

Until then, I will wait for you to put the money where your mouth is.
    Silvanus said:

Enyalida said:

How does Talan know ICly that Arcanis was doing it but everyone else is so clueless about it?

And yes Kelly, that could work. Perhaps, since Magnagora is trying to butter up Gaudiguch, you can offer Gaudiguch incentive to mention it to Magnagora.

This is how diplomacy works. There are even historical examples! England and France invaded Egypt in 1956 but then backed out under pressure from their allies in America. And there are historical examples of it not working too! This is called... Diplomacy!
    I'm not an expert in regards to knowing IC-ly, but I tend to agree with Enyalida's claim that unless you catch them in the act, the point is moot in trying to make a change in a purely IC fashion. Same deal with going around to the other orgs and asking them to stop people from unraveling the pathways. In the end, I don't see why it's being done in the first place. It makes no logical sense to do so. All you'll prevent is some random newbie that doesn't know how to ask people for help getting places that they were otherwise accessing via pathways. Technically the same deal applies to the "ZOMG, MAG RIFTS BE UNRAVELED, WHAT SHALL WE DO?" cry I'm hearing too. At most, it prevents newbies from getting to Earth easily. There are other ways to get to the plane in question, some even without passing through a single dangerous location and probably almost as fast as it would be going through the crystalline meadows. Each org has ways that go through their nexus world to get to one of its linked planes, be it elemental or cosmic.

That said, I don't bother with Magnagoran rifts unless you guys decide to move guards on them and someone ends up transversing and dying, then we'll have fun playing unravel the rift. That was the only beef I had with Gaudi rifts in the meadows, too, and those are the only ones I personally touched in any fashion. It's something that you use for your convenience, so it pays to make sure others have no reasons to break it, simple as that.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    /forumdiplomacy

(Pst @Silvanus - totally willing to drop the shields over Hallifax and Celest, wink wink nudge nudge)

/endforumdiplomacy

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Ah, the 'THINK OF THE NEWBIEZ!!' argument has finally reared it's head. Waiter, check please!
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Arcanis said:

Did you expect Arcanis to nod sadly and vent his frustrations at his actions while asking for forgiveness?

Yes, this is exactly what I was expecting.

I know that you did not do it to inconvenience me personally, but you did. Since I don't recall us having the kind of contentious relationship where you would revel in this fact, I did fully expect a certain degree of sheepish acknowledgement and a promise to help rectify the situation, or at least an explanation as to why you wouldn't. I try to assume that people will be reasonable unless they give me a reason not to assume this.

Peaced revolts are as good a place to chat with enemies as any.
    -

@Marcella has elegantly summed up the reasons why I would never think to approach Magnagora's leadership about something like this.
    -
    Silvanus said:

After a long absence, I discovered they were gone, and was told 'it was Arcanis.' I wasn't told, "But the reason nobody has done anything about it is because we don't know this in-character." I said something to him the first time I saw him. Seems to be some unwitting ic/ooc line crossing on my part. We can pretend this interaction never happened if people would prefer.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I want to complain about the lack of a lesson sale.

I think it'd be fine to squeeze one in with the wand promo, eh, eh?

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    The most useful knowledge from the last few pages is learning that the buttery tears platter existed.

I do think it's funny that there is this huge outcry about pathways but none regarding rifts except for blaming Gaudi for the inability for other people to watch where they transverse.

Admittedly the OOC jostling is a bit offputting too.

PS please raid when people are around.

• The last time I remember the shield going down was RL years ago. I was under the impression that our population is too low to support the multiple smob deaths it would take to take one down these days, is that not accurate?
    Shuyin said:

The most useful knowledge from the last few pages is learning that the buttery tears platter existed.

I do think it's funny that there is this huge outcry about pathways but none regarding rifts except for blaming Gaudi for the inability for other people to watch where they transverse.

It takes a specific skill to be able to know where a pathway leads. That said, sure... maybe people shouldn't transverse blindly unless they're certain where they're about to pop out... but come on now, it's not like you couldn't put your rift one up of where it was and thus prevent people from ending up dying to your guards. Of course, that means scary people would have access to internal Gaudiguch, bypassing guards completely (ZOMG, THE HORROR! THE HORROR, I SAY!) but you could have just as easily thrown the rift one east of its location which incidentally is outside of your territory and thus prevents any kind of issues like that. If you think Gaudiguch is the only organization that would have that to contend with, then you're sorely mistaken. Gaudiguch is simply the only organization that has dumped a rift right on top of a Prime guard stack. Like I said, the rift isn't being unraveled because /forumrp stinky Gaudis are using it! /endforumrp but because it gets people with less planar skill killed.

@Everiine - Apparently, reading comprehension is at an all-time low today. I never said they shouldn't do it because newbies are having issues. I said that it only prevents newbies from getting to places, nothing else. Do please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    All I said was that "think of the newbies" was now being brought into the argument. Which is exactly what happened. I didn't put words in anyone's mouth, or suggest that newbies were having issues. I pointed out only what happened--that newbies were now in the argument.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
    Yeah... that's not now the world works.

I wouldn't blame Hallifax for placing guards in their territories. By the same token, I don't get mad and blame an org when I inadvertently walk into guards. That's completely on me.

Could I flip my shit and kill everything because of it? Sure, but even I would know it's not entirely justified.

To be fair at least we haven't brought up choke, order affinity, and/or destruction yet.
    Shuyin said:

Yeah... that's not now the world works.

I wouldn't blame Hallifax for placing guards in their territories. By the same token, I don't get mad and blame an org when I inadvertently walk into guards. That's completely on me.

Could I flip my shit and kill everything because of it? Sure, but even I would know it's not entirely justified.

Nobody's killing anything. Merely unraveling a rift. And nowhere did I try and tell Gaudiguch where to put their guards. I only suggested that the rift be put not on a guard stack. And yes, I'll be the first to unravel a player-made rift that leads to a stack of Halli guards from neutral territory.

@Everiine - They weren't brought into the discussion in a way to imply "think of the newbies" They were brought to the discussion in a completely different fashion. I will repeat this only once. Don't. Put. Words. In. My. Mouth.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited February 2015
    Pretty sure we once unravelled a gate and re-wove it to the Master Ravenwood for the lols

Many were had

Edit: I also think it's funny that @Elanorwen brought up the 'think of the newbies' and is trying to justify not putting a rift up to guards, but won't ever take responsbility for doing things like spitting in newbies faces during peaced revolts and talking all sorts of mad trash at them. Which one is worse, potential rift into guards, or just being a general bizsnatch to newbies? Hmmmmmmmmm......
    :^o

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Elanorwen said:

Shuyin said:

It takes a specific skill to be able to know where a pathway leads.
    I think it shows on survey.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    edited February 2015
    Shaddus said:

Elanorwen said:

Shuyin said:

It takes a specific skill to be able to know where a pathway leads.
    I think it shows on survey.
    Relevant info in bold:

PLANAR - GATEMASTER

Syntax: GATEWEAVE BOND
            GATEWEAVE UNBOND
    Power:  10 (any) plus special

Your mastery of planar gates is such that it will take only half the time to weave and unravel. However, the greatest ability is to bond with gates that you have created (creators are the second person to initiate a gate weave). Bonding with a gate will only allow yourself to use the gate plus it will make it impossible for anyone else to unravel the gate (though it can still be distorted). Bonded gates will decay in 180 days and has a chance to drain power from your reserves on each new day.

In addition, if you have Surveying in Environment, you can use it to view where rifts lead.

I've hammered out some relatively simple code to add pathways semi-automatically to your personal map, and echo to the shortdesc where they go, for ease of use. It checks if the destination (from Survey) has only one possible room, and automatically sets both special exits if that's the case. I'm about to write what it should do if it encounters multiple options - it'll pop up a link asking you to click it to pathfind to the other room and find out which it is of the possibilities. 

Off-hand, does anyone know if/how I can set delay values to special exits, so that the mapper can do some math to decide if it's faster to path somewhere walking/sprinting normally or pathfind? Like, if there is someone ten rooms away: I can reach them with two pathfinds (8 seconds totalish for pathfinding) or I can just walk to them, much quicker.
This discussion has been closed.