Real World Raves

Comments

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    My coworker gifted me with a pretty cool Star Fox poster. I kinda want to frame it, but I'm not sure I want to be the guy with two pieces of framed Star Fox fan art...
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I am Leslie Knope irl when it comes to gift surprises and I am super pleased with this upcoming weekend's chance to smother the boy's nephews with my love. Also I am going to introduce the adults to Settlers of Catan! I am kind of insanely excited. <:-P
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Rancoura said:
    Sylandra said:
    I am Leslie Knope irl when it comes to gift surprises and I am super pleased with this upcoming weekend's chance to smother the boy's nephews with my love. Also I am going to introduce the adults to Settlers of Catan! I am kind of insanely excited. <:-P

I played Catan for the first time last week. Almost won, too! I can attest that it is incredibly fun. :)
    Catan is the greatest game. I also have the Seafairers expansion. We should get a group together to play online!
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
    I'll join! I'm only slightly ashamed to admit I own (all?) four expansions, but a little more ashamed to admit that I don't really have anyone willing to play them with me very often.
    I used to make cakes.

• edited January 2016
  • I learned how to play Catan on German version a friend owned and this last week I've played a couple games on one that another friend owned and it was a little weird to actually understand the diplomacy cards.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Can someone explain to me what this game involves. I looked at the website and still have no idea. I assume it's about big girls in mumus and terrible hair styles based on the front page.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    It involves settling new lands for vast resources and winning

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    And building roads. Very long roads. The longest road wins.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    And general backstabbery. You think monopoly is cutthroat? Ain't seen nothing yet.
    It's the strategic placement of settlements and cities that generate resources based on dice rolls. Resources are used to build more settlements and cities (that have to be connected by roads), which give you Victory Points. There are ways to eke out a few extra points (like the longest road bonus), and cards you can buy with your resources that give you other special bonuses, instant points, or the ability to move the resource-blocking robber off your tile. 

Then there are a bunch of expansions on the base game that add things like ocean tiles and ships, commodities that are used to upgrade cities, exploration (i.e. resource tiles that aren't revealed until you build a road or ship to 'discover' them). There's even scenarios built around additions like caravans, pirates, fish and spice trading (some more compelling than others). Some of the expansions can be mixed and matched, which makes for very long and strategically interesting games, since there are a bunch of different ways to accumulate points.

Everyone should have at least the vanilla version! Beyond that I'd recommend Cities & Knights for the most complete extra level of strategy and only one set of new rules to learn.
    I used to make cakes.

• TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    Settlers of Catan is alright and all. But when it comes to board games my favorite is cosmic encounters. It has all kinds of crazy dealing and combinations possible. There's one card for instance, which as long as you have it in your hand gives you permission to cheat by drawing extra cards from the deck. If somebody catches you, you just need to show the card. Each player also gets a unique abilities like forcing alliances, swapping attack cards with your opponents, deciding the lowest attack is actually the winner, etc.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    On a related note, a couple of nights ago I also played Machi Koro with friends, which is similar to Settlers of Catan but uses only cards. And is supposedly big in Japan right now.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Also another rave because last week my partner surprised me on our anniversary with tickets to a performance of Phantom of the Opera at a gorgeous, high-class theatre downtown.

I got to dress up, I've been wanting to see it for years, and it was phenomenal.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• edited January 2016
    Tarkenton said:
    And general backstabbery. You think monopoly is cutthroat? Ain't seen nothing yet.

Best (only) Catan game was with a buddy of mine and his three younger brothers. Given the collective decades of sibling rivalry all I had to do was sit back and gather resources quietly. Once the brused remaing players realized I had a lock I cashed out first before the family alliance could take me under. Served them right for consistenly beating me at Magic as kids :3.

Edit: Phantom is good. Wish I had the opportunity to see Sarah Brightman in it. Granted I was small but I remember operas. 
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I agree, though one can make the case for a good pumpernickel or marble rye.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Turnus said:
    Settlers of Catan is alright and all. But when it comes to board games my favorite is cosmic encounters. It has all kinds of crazy dealing and combinations possible. There's one card for instance, which as long as you have it in your hand gives you permission to cheat by drawing extra cards from the deck. If somebody catches you, you just need to show the card. Each player also gets a unique abilities like forcing alliances, swapping attack cards with your opponents, deciding the lowest attack is actually the winner, etc.

I actually played that for the first time this year! Was fun, particularly late game. :D Meanwhile I've only ever played Catan vanilla or with Cities and Knights. I prefer it with C&K though!
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • I am quite jealous. I only heard of Cosmic Encounter in the context of Richard Garfield saying it was one of his inspirations when he designed Magic.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    It's a rainy day, it's midday and I'm still in my pyjamas. Winning.

• Catan is fun, but I haven't played it in years because no one around me knows how to.

The new Magic block coming up looks set to shake up the meta, though.

• Turnus said:
    I just played that New Years Eve with my friends from high school (including Wepaw, if anyone remembers him). I got to be leviathan, which was crazy strong, but alas, all the cards I got were unbelievably terrible.
  • Looked at the old Tears of Polaris wiki, it was down but I fixed it... yay the wiki I look at once a year at most :P
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So, our venue may be able to cater, but I'm not sure we'll have enough guests to actually justify the catering. =$
  • Saran said:
    Looked at the old Tears of Polaris wiki, it was down but I fixed it... yay the wiki I look at once a year at most :P
    Ha, wow. That's been so long now that I'm not even bitter anymore that my beautiful Overgrowth code will never again see the light of day :P
  • I am totally shocked that Hajamin's project failed. Who could have predicted that. 
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    We have been asked not to discuss that kind of thing on these forums, by the by.
  • I almost (only one more person needs to agree) got a new room for intermediate rent for two weeks in March. It has quiet flatmates, warm water in the kitchen and is directly under the roof, so I can hear the rain again. Sounds like heaven.