Real World Raves

Comments

• Thyelleia said:
    I almost (only one more person needs to agree) got a new room for intermediate rent for two weeks in March. It has quiet flatmates, warm water in the kitchen and is directly under the roof, so I can hear the rain again. Sounds like heaven.
    I agreed to your post; I hope that counts!
  • I have made my first proper bullet pattern with Danmakufu ph3. May there be many more to come.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Today was a riot but things ended well. I'd like to thank @Altrea and @Phoebus for helping keep me somewhat calm today :)
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Chirbo said:
    Today was a riot but things ended well. I'd like to thank @Altrea and @Phoebus for helping keep me somewhat calm today :)
    Any time, man. Glad things are alright.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Robot Wars is baaaaack.

• Because I don't want my other post to be my last post, this is pretty much my favourite song right now, and I listen to it on repeat waaay too much.

Thanks, @Rancoura, for introducing me to these guys. :)

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • Luckily. my friend's boyfriend had a spare charger. So I am now sitting in my hostel room with a decently charged laptop and am hopefully prepared for my job interview tomorrow. Plus, the hostel has yummy vegan soups :)
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I caved and bought a Beauty Blender from Sephora. It's amazing. Was it even real life before this thing? 

(Why the hell did this sponge cost $20. You're lucky you're amazing.)
  • Shoveled snow twice today, both times over a foot, and its still snowing like crazy. I only saw 2 people outside the first time, and I was the only sign of life the second time. So much pretty, undisturbed snow!  :x (I'll worry about how to get to work later)

Also made some pretty delicious pizza in a cast iron skillet my mom gave me.
  • I don't feel bad for you mid-Atlanticers. Welcome to all of my winters! Muhahaha!

But really, I hope you all are being safe, and at least trying to enjoy the snow as best as you can!

Acrune said:
    Shoveled snow twice today, both times over a foot, and its still snowing like crazy. I only saw 2 people outside the first time, and I was the only sign of life the second time. So much pretty, undisturbed snow!  :x (I'll worry about how to get to work later)

Also made some pretty delicious pizza in a cast iron skillet my mom gave me.
    Pristine, undisturbed snow is the best part of any snowstorm. I was admiring it all yesterday evening (no heavy winds! Perfect sparkly snow! So pretty!) But now, between the dog and my niece, all the snow in my yard has been trampled into submission, hah. RIP, my nice view from the door.
  • Shoveling three feet of snow is an outstanding total-body workout, and I have a wonderful box of goodies from Ulta waiting for me when I am done.

If I ever get done.
    If only I could regain feeling in my feet.
    This is a misery.

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    We don't get this much snow in Central Virginia. It just doesn't happen. I certainly didn't believe the weather reports, but here we are! Well I've never been in snow up to my knees before, so that was pretty cool. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • #1 snow on record for Baltimore. They only managed to plow half of my building's parking lot, and my car is deep into the wrong half. My car is cleaned and shoveled though, so whenever something manages to clean off my half of the lot, I'm good to go.  :))
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Bronco's heading back to the Superbowl!!!!

Where it'll likely be a complete blowout (again) or we'll squeak it out like every other game this season.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    edited January 2016
    So... I don't follow sports, but still, this is for you, buddy:

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Mixed raving: Like half a week ago my "beloved" academic advisor informed me that I was designing running a simulation on Friday to make people understand why 5th century Athenian politics read like bad fanfiction. Supposed to base it off of Mafia, because I foolisly mentioned playing it to him once. Couple days warning to prep. And lo and behold, it's on the day that the teacher review people are making sure that I broadly know what I'm doing.

But all reviews are in as of today and it was not a failure! This is good, because I did not fail. This is bad because I'm stuck running it a few more times. The ideal would've been just mediocre enough to avoid annoying the administration while not warranting repetition, but I will settle for this as the second best option.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • ......should I ask you about 5th century athenian politics? because that sounds interesting
  • Who was that guy I remember reading about who told Alexander the Great to step out of his sunlight, the crazy guy who did all the stupid stuff in public?
    edited January 2016
    Portius said:
    Diogenes of Sinope. Famous philosopher of the Kunikoi (which we would render in English as the cynic school but I hate that because cynic has modern connotations that really don't apply. The name actually means something like 'the dog people'. )

The philosophy itself has a lot parallels with Buddhism and related schools of thought. Less so than the Stoics, but it's still there. It's hard to discuss ancient philosophy because its social role is so different from that of modern philosophy, but in broad strokes he believed that society had a lot of artificial developments that made people miserable and that virtue and happiness required living in a state of nature. So fairly extreme asceticism (which was common in more moderate forms in a lot of Greek philosophy) and ignoring social convention. And he thought he should teach others by example.
    My knowledge of Diogenes has now been expanded slightly beyond "philosopher Oscar the Grouch." Literally the only things I knew about him were 1) did philosophy of some sort, and 2) lived in a jar. Mostly because I've only ever seen him in paintings, in which he is often hanging out in his jar and looking thoughtful. Is the dog people thing why he's got some nice and attentive dogs around him in this one? Are these dogs symbolic dogs?
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Yep! Cynics held up dogs as examples of sort of enlightened beings. Here's a reasonably famous scholium (margin note) on it. From "A History of Cynicism" by Donald R. Dudley, 1937:

"There are four reasons why the Cynics are so named. First because of the indifference of their way of life, for they make a cult of indifference and, like dogs, eat and make love in public, go barefoot, and sleep in tubs and at crossroads. The second reason is that the dog is a shameless animal, and they make a cult of shamelessness, not as being beneath modesty, but as superior to it. The third reason is that the dog is a good guard, and they guard the tenets of their philosophy. The fourth reason is that the dog is a discriminating animal which can distinguish between its friends and enemies. So do they recognize as friends those who are suited to philosophy, and receive them kindly, while those unfitted they drive away, like dogs, by barking at them"

Most paintings of him (and most paintings of classical things) are references to famous anecdotes. If he's holding a lantern like in that one? Reference to the time he went through the streets with one in broad daylight and said he was trying to find an honest man. Sticks mean lot of different things because Diogenes (and the rest of the kunikoi) loved themselves some sticks. If he's got a chicken it's the famous scene where he mocked Plato's definition of a man (A featherless biped. You know what else is a featherless biped? A plucked chicken. Plato is the most overrated philosopher.)
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Paging @Daraius to the thread. 
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Yeah sure, I like paintings of naked guys with dogs as much as anyone else. :-/
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • This really makes me miss Ancient Greek. I've learned it in high school but unfortunately have forgotten most of it by now. I always loved that we read some of the great philosophers in their native language and wrote my final essay (in our old school system it was common that before graduation you had to write an aprox. 15 page essay in one of your two core subjects) about the Ethic of Democritus.

Two years ago, I visited my old high school in order to 'borrow' an eight-grade class for testing my BA-Thesis which basically consisted of writing a textadventure for that age group so they might have some gamificated learning experience. However, when I arrived I was shocked because they only had 9 students in that class. 9 students...back then when I started, we were about 40 spread over two classes. Seems like the interest in ancient languages is dwindling :(
  • Synkarin said:
    Bronco's heading back to the Superbowl!!!!

Where it'll likely be a complete blowout (again) or we'll squeak it out like every other game this season.
    You take your filthy sportball and get it out of my peninsula. (jk, I love you, but seriously, the sportball is utterly destroying ALL the local public transit for at least a month, and I'm bracing for the inevitable post-sportball riots)