Real World Raves

Comments

• 40F, not raining be like

#NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals

So today I woke up from a nightmare. 

I was a child, at an unspecified house with a few people I still can't recognise or remember in the middle of what must be Kansas or Nebraska. Tornado warnings via radio (though there was no radio I could see?) drove us all inside to hide from a cookout with a little tarp over a few tables. While we're inside I keep remembering things I left out at the tables that I have to go back out and get, though I can't remember what they were and feel like they were all trivial, since everyone else was panicky and trying to tell me it wasn't worth it. It felt like forever between each trip out, but despite that it was perpetual twilight, the horizon forever coloured under a sea of black clouds. Each time I got what I wanted I'd start to see a spindly column form and descend towards the earth, taking on an odd resemblance to a seahorse. It would turn about on its tail of cloud stuff as it branched into two, then three, then six seahorse shapes, before condensing into a full blown funnel, at which point it would tear across the surrounding fields with a boom and a quaking that would knock me off balance as I continued to run back for cover, leaving an absurdly large rend in the ground. It'd run very, very quickly along the horizon until it would be out of my field of vision, then when I'd turn to try to track it, it would stop and seem to turn and hover on point for several moments before dissipating again.

I made like three of four trips out to retrieve things, and each time the tornado reappeared and moved I got more convinced it was looking for something, but that it was somehow pointless to try to hide from it and if it was somehow me and it bore down on the house, everything would be ripped to scarp in an instant anyways. Then just before I woke up, while it was turning about and looking ready to dissipate, it seemed to freeze and I felt like it was focusing squarely on me, and roared back to life.

This is here because I very rarely remember anything about dreams at all, and there is something oddly exciting about retaining so many details about one. So I decided that I really had to type it out somewhere before I forget, and so long as I'm doing that, eh, why not have a little fun and share it?

• Exams period + more procrastination problems. I'm way too tired but right now I can nap. Raves to my comfy bed!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Whereas I also remember my dream from last night, and it was that we were already arguing about when Christmas decorations are supposed to go up.

It's February. It's too early for this crap.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • I dreamed about my boss. :(

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    I pulled an all-nighter.  @-)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Duolingo is the best thing, and if you want to add me, I'll totally give out my name. I love competing against other people. 
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • There is something called Electro Swing, and it is glorious.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Saw a guy dressed up like a warlock lurking near the turtles at the aquarium today, just standing there and staring at them, in his purple cloak. He was awesome. :D
  • Yay for split-second can i put this together in an hour cosplays. And yay for pulling it off well enough that people got who I was. Also yay for the fact that if you are bold enough to scrub the first layer of skin off, you can in fact remove an eye drawn on your forehead with waterproof liquid eyeliner.
    Mysrai, the Beckoner Beyond the Maze intones, "Continue to manifest the paradigm of working, My Alary."
    The Divine voice of Camus the Cinderfly echoes in your head, "Thank you, once-body. I am happy that I fell into that eye."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Haircut, yaaaay. This doesn't feel nearly as satisfying as the super short haircuts I had grown accustomed to, and I wish I had gotten bangs or something, but I'd been complaining about needing a haircut for so long that I'm glad to have finally gotten it over with.
  • Awww yiss almost definitely going to Anime Central this year. As staff, no less! That'll be two conventions I work this year, super excite. Also baked cookies yesterday, super yum. 
  • Only one midterm exam left to do!
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Best thing to do is to have someone to go with. Because then you feel like the scummiest scum if you bail on a friend. I've been going consistently for three weeks with my brother in law. He missed yesterday because he's sick, but I still went because now it's starting to become a habit.
  • Sometimes, not having a professional cover letter is a good thing. They likely get far too many to read them all, so if it stands out a little, it might prompt them to read it. Heck, I know of a guy who got a job with a cover letter which consisted of his handprint and how to contact him. They thought it was interesting and wanted to know more about the person crazy enough to pull a stunt like that... Granted, probably nothing you should try (odds are they were just as crazy as he was), but it goes to show that a little different isn't necessarily bad.
  • Understanding bosses!

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Sometimes it's less about the cover letter and more about persistence, too. The bf applied somewhere, checked in later to ask about his status, and the place was like "oh huh haven't looked through them yet, so tell me about yourself." Suddenly an interview and then he was hired.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    So, the Paizo Humble Bundle is amazing. It's only missing maybe three books my regular group uses on a consistent basis, and has a BUNCH of utilities, and even comes with a season of PFS scenarios.
  • Aerdureth said:
    Thanks to everybody who encouraged me to apply for the job!

After I read the posts, I started writing a cover letter, which is basically a one-page essay about why I love books, in order to distract them from my lack of PhD (I really love books and it's for a library after all). I also tried to compensate for my lack of experience in project management with 'but I help organising scout camps'...it's probably the least professional cover letter they will ever get. Then I tried hunting down a printer in my nearly empty college, somehow ended up in our department head's office (it was so late that everything else was closed already) and was allowed to use his printer, which is a colour laser one. I've never had such fancy application papers before. 

Finally, the next morning aka now, I mailed the whole thing via express so it will hopefully even arrive today. The only problem was that here you can only use express mailing if you know the exact address...and they had only stated their postbox. So two clerks and I went through phone books to find out the real address. Luckily, it's quite big and in my state's capital so it did not take long. I just hope that they also expect application letters in their regular mailbox...

Good luck!

I've just started putting out applications too.
    Flames erupt from the caldera below as a distorted voice echoes, "Their spirit must be broken if they wish to be reborn as true warriors."
  • edited February 2019
    -