General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• I thought one of the perks of Windows 10 was distributed upgrades? As in, a company has one central server that downloads all the updates which are then distributed among the local computers, meaning that only one copy of an upgrade will ever need to be downloaded.

Or, it's entirely possible I'm thinking of something else. Either way, it'd sure make more sense than every desktop upgrading by itself, resulting in several copies of the same upgrade being downloaded.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited March 2016
    lol, you have windows 10 at work? I literally upgraded my computer to windows 7 last month, and that's because we got hit with a nasty virus that took out all our XP machines

As an aside, due to aforementioned virus issue, I went and bought a windows 7 computer that had Office 2013 pre-installed on it. I found out last week that I need to uninstall 2013, and install 2003 because our email exchange server doesn't work with anything newer than 2010 and they don't want to shell the money for a new 2010 liscense

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I upgraded my secretary's computer from XP to Windows 7 a few months ago. She has strict orders not to click on the Windows 10 thing. I also put LibreOffice on there, Firefox, and Thunderbird. I'm dreading the day that the automatic upgrade happens and she can't get any work done that day because Windows decides it's going to install 10 over our objections. I put Linux Mint on my office computer.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited March 2016
    Ssaliss said:
    I thought one of the perks of Windows 10 was distributed upgrades? As in, a company has one central server that downloads all the updates which are then distributed among the local computers, meaning that only one copy of an upgrade will ever need to be downloaded.

Or, it's entirely possible I'm thinking of something else. Either way, it'd sure make more sense than every desktop upgrading by itself, resulting in several copies of the same upgrade being downloaded.

They are not currently on Windows 10. Until yesterday, it was not available as an upgrade to them. If they were on 10, they would not be trying to get it!

Edit: No, we have zero computers here on 10, and when I found out Microsoft was rolling the upgrade out to domain-joined computers a couple of weeks ago everyone here got the DO NOT DO IT memo. Does not stop Microsoft from trying to push it on us, though.
  • You guys know you can uninstall the Get Windows 10 updates (there is a few of them) and hide said updates, right?

The Get Windows 10 app thingy also DLs 3+GB of data for the update too that you probably could delete too if you don't want the windows 10.
    Ayisdra said:
    You guys know you can uninstall the Get Windows 10 updates (there is a few of them) and hide said updates, right?

The Get Windows 10 app thingy also DLs 3+GB of data for the update too that you probably could delete too if you don't want the windows 10.

Can't do it when people are trying to use their PCs and the thing just showed up. I do plan to get rid of it when I can, but I had to pre-emptively issue instructions for what to do when it showed up, until I can get rid of it. Our network is not to the point where updates are controlled by one PC (while I ended up being the domain admin, it is not actually my job / what they pay me to do).
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited March 2016
    We just upgraded to windows 7 like 6 months ago. 

Of course, some people in the office are still on HP laptops circa 2008. They are so heavy you could probably kill a person with a good swing. 

Meanwhile, the digital department and their infinite budget have 14 inch macbook pros that they play league of legends on during work hours in their fully stocked FREE KITCHEN. They can't seem to afford to give us laptops from this decade but the 50 fresh college grads on the third floor get free redbull and skittles every day with catered breakfast. 

#corporateamerica

edit: I steal their redbulls when I work weekends and stock my desk. Screw those kids. Plus that floor smells like feet. Maybe they should invest in mandatory showers for that floor. Just because you're a nerd doesn't mean you can skip on the hygeine. 
  • Redbull and skittles? Well let's hope they don't get too many cavities.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    edited March 2016
    This conversation makes me wonder if the computers in the music tech lab in my high school ever got upgraded from Windows ME. They still had it in 2008 and had no intentions of changing any time soon when I left. It was nice getting to play space pinball whenever I finished my work, but, seriously, those computers were a nightmare to use. Windows ME. It's been 8 years, maybe they're on XP now? 
    Windows ME was my family's first real PC. I agree--nightmare. I had to wipe/restore that thing a number of times.

I don't know what's worse though, since my parents' desktop still runs Vista.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Ellowyn said:
    Rude people suck.
    Be rude back.

• Havastus said:
    Ellowyn said:
    Rude people suck.
    Be rude back.
    But then I'll suck, haha.
  • Ellowyn said:
    Rude people suck.
    I just read Skype....am I the rude person?

06/30/2014 19:37 Silvanus channels the power of the Megalith of Doom for you, stripping you of your Vernal Ascendant status.......bastard!!

• Leolamins said:
    Ellowyn said:
    Rude people suck.
    I just read Skype....am I the rude person?
    Lol, no!  
    I never read books anymore. I just realized that I can't remember what the last book I read was, and got a little depressed.  :-<
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Yeah. :( I read more for book reviews and schoolwork these days instead of pleasure. I am at the point where I feel guilty for buying a book because I know I won't get to finish it anytime soon.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Don't know what your schedules look like but I'm able to get some quality reading time in during my commute in the morning/evening, although sometimes even there work creeps in. Just a thought!
    Hallen said:
    Don't know what your schedules look like but I'm able to get some quality reading time in during my commute in the morning/evening, although sometimes even there work creeps in. Just a thought!

I think that when you are a TA, such free time gets consumed by grading and prepwork for classes.
  • Blast.

• Everiine said:
    Windows ME was my family's first real PC. I agree--nightmare. I had to wipe/restore that thing a number of times.

I don't know what's worse though, since my parents' desktop still runs Vista.

You all make me feel so old. My first computer was a TRS-80 running nothing but Basic. If we wanted to play a game we had to write a game for it. I got lucky and my father was a computer programmer who made a few games in Basic for me and my friends to play. My first "RPG" was a text based choose your own adventure written in Basic called Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

My first computer with Windows was actually a DOS shell Windows called Windows for 286, running on a 286 that I bought for University work. It had a 100mb Hardrive a 14400 Internal Fax modem and a whopping 4mb of internal memory, in 4 1mb sticks.

I actually ran a BBS on an 8086 with a 50mb Harddrive and a 1400 baud external modem and thought I was in the big leagues. (I was as far as the BBS world went in my region) I ran the most online turn based strategy games in the city at the time, sending nightly data packets across the world on something called FIDO-NET in order for BBSes across North America to keep up with the league games and tournaments. 6 games 10 - 20 players on my BBS each game... 5 hours of data packet sending for something that would take 30 seconds now)

Most of you probably have no idea what any of that stuff even looks like these days.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The Hitchhiker's game is very hard. 
  • Xenthos said:
    Hallen said:
    Don't know what your schedules look like but I'm able to get some quality reading time in during my commute in the morning/evening, although sometimes even there work creeps in. Just a thought!

I think that when you are a TA, such free time gets consumed by grading and prepwork for classes.
    Why do True Ascendants grade players papers?
    THey should leave that to the fates...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

Tylwyth said:
    Xenthos said:
    Hallen said:

1) This is the Real World section of the forums, and 2) Celina just made that joke.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    #SealOfRhetComp. #Sylkandra2016
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    edited March 2016
    Hallen said:
    Mine's less about schedule and more about nothing ever seeming appealing anymore. My brain's always all like, "why would we do anything engaging, when we could sit here and stare blankly at your desktop for a while? You'll blink and shake yourself out of it, and what seemed like ten minutes will have been three hours. It'll be a blast." Can't recommend it. All that sitting and doing nothing leaves room for little else.
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Xenthos said:
    Tylwyth said:
    Xenthos said:
    Hallen said:

1) This is the Real World section of the forums, and 2) Celina just made that joke.

That's the thing about Tylwyth. I'm not sure he's joking.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

Hey, I said my family's first real PC had Windows ME, but it wasn't our first computer. We got a hand-me piece of dinosaur technology that used true floppy disks. I remember it had Frogger. But in order to play any game or open any program, I first had to look at the hex code. I have no idea why. It simply wouldn't run unless I opened the code and closed it again.

• Sylandra said:
    Yeah. :( I read more for book reviews and schoolwork these days instead of pleasure. I am at the point where I feel guilty for buying a book because I know I won't get to finish it anytime soon.

audiobooks! try getting the books you want to read as an audiobook. then you can grade and listen at the same time. :D try starting with harry potter read by stephen fry. or a terry prachett audiobook.
    is dead like the dodo
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I can't stand audiobooks. Someone else slowly reading a book out loud to me sounds like torture.