Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Synkarin said:
    No one said they shouldn't have an instakill, that's being dramatic. 

All was said was that deleting dysbaric pressure doesn't mean you -need- another instakill in order to delete it.
    That's the impression I got. I guess I am a bit biased when it's posts from you, but then again... no surprise there. :P

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Elanorwen said:
    You can cast preserve on whatever. I'm not that familiar with aquas.

Unless I'm mistaken, Aqua doesn't even need a meld. Just a frozen person who is missing health.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Quick question: Will any more afflictions be converted during the Ascension?
  • Shaddus said:
    Elanorwen said:
    You can cast preserve on whatever. I'm not that familiar with aquas.

Unless I'm mistaken, Aqua doesn't even need a meld. Just a frozen person who is missing health.
    I think it's frozen solid, which is past frozen, which is past chilled, and under 50% health or somesuch, but yes, aquamancers can do this out of meld, in meld, in a Pyro-meld, in an active volcano... Back when there were multiple well-coordinated aquas about without TK/TP who were combatants, there was a bit of strategic discussion of 3-4 aquas walking around in a group setting up fast-freeze ganks, but I don't think the concept went anywhere. Because it was easier to just stack bleeding through TK or ego-whip to infinity and then pop them with TP. Plus it costs 15 power across 3 aquas, I think?
  • frozen solid is frozen.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The difference is that preserve costs more power out of demesne. 
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    shivering, frozen solid
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

Would be fun if aquas/pyros had a way of destroying the preserved/burned corpse that their instakills left behind.
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    All Demigods do in dessicate, pretty sure.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice

Oh! I never thought I could use it for that. Thanks!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    You touch my ice garden I'll add you to it.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Can't use dessicate for piked heads though :(
  • Neos said:
    You touch my ice garden I'll add you to it.
    /touches it everywhere.

No, that's what desiccate was intended to do... and it specifically does NOT do that. Desiccate only works on non-flamed items in your own inventory.
    Enyalida said:
    No, that's what desiccate was intended to do... and it specifically does NOT do that. Desiccate only works on non-flamed items in your own inventory.
    Well, I guess you could disenchant flame on ashes and then pick them up and dessicate them? Why would you bother, though? Also, if it really is limited to items held in your inventory... why not just dump it in your nearest friendly nexus?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Beats me, report #973.
    Enyalida said:
    Beats me, report #973.
    Not that I ever had the desire to buy dessicate, but... now I have even less of it, if at all possible. It's gone into negative digits? Something.

Welcome to demishop, heh.
  • Not sure if this is the best or right place to ask, but I didn't see one better suited, sorry!

I currently play another IRE game but have been thinking of moving to one with a higher population and of the others, Lusternia's lore and background appeals to me the most, so I've been lurking around the forums off and on and I keep seeing the discussion about the combat overhaul and have been putting off hopping in game because of it for a few months now.

So I was thinking I ought to ask, if it would be as harrowing an experience as I'm anticipating trying to jump into the game and learn things with everything in upheaval?
  • That depends. The overhaul has minimal impact on bashing/influence. You will need to stock an extra four cures (as the afflictions are being switched over) but you won't have to carry around lots of other curatives. Lusternia's cures all have different names anyway, so you'll need to learn them over time - having the new overhaul cures pop up won't affect that learning curve much.

If you're looking to jump straight into combat, though, the overhaul might make things harder. As the afflictions are being transitioned, combat strategies and tactics will change quite a bit, and you'll need to wrap your mind around those as we stay in a temporary limbo where both systems are still in effect.

On the other hand, if you get a system which is updated as the affs get converted, you probably won't notice much difference - you won't have the actively pick apart and put back your own system. Learning offenses and other class strategies would take time even if the overhaul wasn't happening, anyway.

• I usually do write my own systems, but I'm not against just making a pve one until things settle down. Thanks for the feedback! I might take a look around later today.
  • edited February 2015
    My only comment is that "upheaval" might be a strong term. The original overhaul was certainly a huge change, but once we adjusted our plans, it's much less dramatic. Some tactics will change of course, but the affliction system is being simplified. So I personally wouldn't hold off from playing if you would like to join us! The foundation is the same, we're just redecorating and cleaning out the clutter. 

So on the one hand, things might be more difficult because of shifting tactics and transition issues we will encounter, but on the other hand, the system itself in reference to the volume of afflictions and curatives ones must know of and possess will be noticably simplified. 

The new buff system has been settled on as well and they are working on that now, which (hopefully) means casual PKers won't be buried under the mountain of buffs the hardcore PKers tend to carry around. 

PS: My computer has decided to go on the fritz and has been mailed back to the manufacturer to fix. Again. So I shall not be logging on until it's back. So here is the best way to contact me for overhaul and envoy things. 

• The buffs system has been decided on? That's good to hear. What will be better to hear will be the details. 

In short, details, please!

• edited February 2015
    If I must!

My proposed solution was a 7 tier system that will look something like this:

Tier 1: 3%
    Tier 2: 6%
    Tier 3: 9%
    Tier 4: 12%

Tier 5: 15%
    Tier 6: 20%
    Tier 7: 25%

Tiers 5-7 are accessible in a limited fashion through specific skills (these haven't been decided on yet but they will be guild specific, like Geomancer raise staff, Nightkiss/drawdown, etc) and artifacts. Everyone will be able to reach tier 4.

If a person chooses not to reach tier 4 (for whatever reason) an artifact will replace the appropriate number of levels. So a tier 3 artifact will be 3 levels of buffs. So with no other buffs, a level 3 artifact will reach tier 3. With 4 buffs, a level 3 artifact will get you to tier 7. There is an absolute hard cap of 25%. 

I've proposed introducing damage resistance artifacts to equalize the damage buffs with damage resistance buffs. This means that the highest tier is truly about skill vs skill, and the highest tier will have a 13% (assuming all artifacts aquired at their max level) vs those without any artifacts. Significant but not the enormous 20-30% (or greater) disparity I am currently seeing between the casuals and the avid PKers. 

I'm on the fence about Artifacts just bumping players up to the higher tiers and skipping the lower tiers because they are artifacts so a level 2 damage+ artifact will always be tier 6), but ultimately I'm leaning towards what I just explained so that PKers with artifacts aren't exempted from maintaining buffs like everyone else. I believe in a level of time investment and maintenance to keep the system more equitable.  
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Will resistance artifacts be split up between damage types or will there be a singular 'magic damage resist' rune a la magic damage rune?

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • edited February 2015
    That hasn't been decided (or if there will even be a damage resistance artifact) yet. Artifacts are ultimately the decision of Estarra.

My perspective is that it will either need to be a mirror image of the damage+ artifact and/or split up by damage types for a reduced price. So you can get just a fire damage resistance rune for OP destruction for 1/10th (or whatever fraction) of the full damage resistance rune.  

edit: I think those would sell, at least. I assume they would.
  • When you say "Everyone will be able to reach tier 4", how do you mean? Will there be stuff in Combat, Environment, Discipline etc. that gives those buffs, or will it be non-lesson related (i.e. enchantments etc), or will each class have things that bump it to that level, or what?
  • Oh, and will this also extend to armour (so a full plate would be level 7, splendours level 6 and normal robes 5 or something), or will that remain as-is or follow a completely different system?
  • Ssaliss said:

When you say "Everyone will be able to reach tier 4", how do you mean? Will there be stuff in Combat, Environment, Discipline etc. that gives those buffs, or will it be non-lesson related (i.e. enchantments etc), or will each class have things that bump it to that level, or what?

I meant that level 4 is theorhetically obtainable by everyone who does not own an artifact. Whether your specific guild can reach level 4 of any given buff will vary. So yes to all of the above. Attunement in environment is a damage resistance buff, nimbus is enchanting is also a damage resitance buff, classes will have their own verision (i.e. Night Garb is a damage resistance buff.)
    Ssaliss said:

Oh, and will this also extend to armour (so a full plate would be level 7, splendours level 6 and normal robes 5 or something), or will that remain as-is or follow a completely different system?

Armor is armor. As far as I know, there are not plans to integrate it into the buff system. 
    Armor isn't being redone as part of warrior/monk changes? Eurgh.