Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• Ah, so buffs will be split into 2 types. General and guild/artifact. General buffs will be applied first, capped at level 4, and then guild/artifacts will be applied, total cap at 7. Did I get it right?

So even if you got everything you could get your hands on, there's a hard cap at level 7, and there's the soft cap at 4 for people who don't have special guild abilities to bring them up above that.

I assume things like quests (like the throne buff or karma blessings) will fall under general, yes?

• So if I'm understanding correctly,

I can have tier 7 fire DMP with artifacts and skills, and tier 4 electricity DMP at the same time due to same possible skills/artifacts,

and I can have 6 magic damage buff and 4 asphyxiation damage buff for the same as the above. Numbers are random, but will that be how it works?

what about hme blessing stacking?

• edited February 2015
    @Enyalida: No, but we got the OK to normalize all armor so splendors will eventually function in the same way plate currently does (at the request of one of the older reports). That being said, it will be a pain to code so I don't know when that will actually be implemented. 

@Lerad: Yes to all. 

@Maligorn: Yes (assuming I understand you correctly). HME blessings will be under the same system and subject to all of the same rules. My goal is for all buffs to compared apples to apples across the board. Much easier to balance that way. 

edit: Disclaimer: The design is subject to change depending on how easy/hard it is to implement. 

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    The big problem there being that (magic sourced) blunt/cutting damage will still be at a huge disadvantage when compared to the elemental and cosmic types. Only the physical damage types can be 'double-dipped' on with defenses, using both the armor system AND the dmp/tier systems of defense. This really sucks for guilds pidgeonholed into doing primarily those types of damage (like druids).
  • Isn't it already that way? I don't understand the problem. 
    edited February 2015
    It is, and it sucks how it is now. It's a problem now, it'll continue to be a problem. Tf armor and defense code is already being retooled, now would be a fantastic opportunity to fix this longstanding issue. Especially with physical types also being the utter worst for bashing with mob resistances too.
  • Saesh said:

@Enyalida: No, but we got the OK to normalize all armor so splendors will eventually function in the same way plate currently does (at the request of one of the older reports). That being said, it will be a pain to code so I don't know when that will actually be implemented. 

@Maligorn: Yes (assuming I understand you correctly). HME blessings will be under the same system and subject to all of the same rules. My goal is for all buffs to compared apples to apples across the board. Much easier to balance that way. 

edit: Disclaimer: The design is subject to change depending on how easy/hard it is to implement. 

How is drunkenness (in dwarves/dracnari) and general amberbeer/darkbeer going to function in this tier system?

• The purpose of the overhaul has never been to rebalance perceived issues on the guild level. There is an appropriate avenue for those types of concerns. I'm open to ideas and changes through the envoys, but it needs to go through the envoys so guild level concerns can be thoroughly vetted by the rest of the envoys. 
    You meant the armor thing? My impression was that to fix this particular game-wide issue, the armor code would need total overhauling and that never has been on the table before. I can make a report outlining this same issue, and providing all the same suggestions, but it's not a guild-specific thing. 
  • Maligorn said:

Saesh said:

How is drunkenness (in dwarves/dracnari) and general amberbeer/darkbeer going to function in this tier system?
    Good question! I don't know as I hadn't thought about that. I want to say it will function within the boundaries of the proposed system, maxing out at 4 just like everything else. So tipsy is tier 1, smashed or whatever it's called is tier 4, for example. 
  • Enyalida said:

You meant the armor thing? My impression was that to fix this particular game-wide issue, the armor code would need total overhauling and that never has been on the table before. I can make a report outlining this same issue, and providing all the same suggestions, but it's not a guild-specific thing. 

As it stands, it's still not on the table. I will bring it up but it is certainly guild specific. Druids, cacophony, warriors, monks, each with varying degrees of impact ranging from negligible (druids) to significant (monks). 
  • One more question.

How are stat buffs going to work (e.g. con, int)? Still keeping the weighted system there?

• edited February 2015
    As of now, yes. There's a racial revamp portion of the overhaul that Estarra has some plans for but those haven't been fleshed out yet and I don't know if stat weighting is part of it or not. Ultimately, I don't think stats are as big of a balance issue as the dmp and health buff systems. 
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    Lets delete eq and balance bonuses too
  • No telling what will happen during the racial overhaul!
  • Noooo, not my balance bonus for harvesting herbs :(
  • Hoping for something to let us vary our stats a little...

Maybe like the D&D system where you have your base stats(stat block of course), plus racial modifiers. plus "templates" (like wild/high elfen, etc), 

Even though they still wouldn't be the best I'd really like to be able to influence as a wildewood :(
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ssaliss said:

Noooo, not my balance bonus for harvesting herbs :(

Instead of going "Noooo," you should be begging for elves & faelings to have an herb-harvesting bonus!
  • Hoping for something to let us vary our stats a little...

Maybe like the D&D system where you have your base stats(stat block of course), plus racial modifiers. plus "templates" (like wild/high elfen, etc), 

Even though they still wouldn't be the best I'd really like to be able to influence as a wildewood :(

I think racehats have solved the bulk of the "statpack" concerns, as well as cameos for those that wish to shell out the credits. Ultimately, it boils down to race/guild/etc identities that contribute to Lusternia's strong lore identity. Bards are supposed to be strong influencers, wildewood are not, etc etc.

Though I don't think we are quite at the point to introduce any proposed race changes.

• Quick question: Are you holding back on overhaul releases due to Ascension (meaning there'll be a deluge of changes once it's done, assuming you're prepping things in the meantime), or are there other things that are holding it back?
  • Other things. I'll have an update this weekend.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Saesh said:

Saran said:

Hoping for something to let us vary our stats a little...

I think racehats have solved the bulk of the "statpack" concerns, as well as cameos for those that wish to shell out the credits. Ultimately, it boils down to race/guild/etc identities that contribute to Lusternia's strong lore identity. Bards are supposed to be strong influencers, wildewood are not, etc etc.

Though I don't think we are quite at the point to introduce any proposed race changes.

I have a cameo and a racehat but it's just I suppose frustrating though. 
    As a changeling the other racial bonuses and emotes are what can make a race as well, I'm aware that right now I appear as a faeling but I can't fly or hover etc and anyone that looks at me will know that I'm just wearing a hat. 

I suppose the purpose behind the racial bonus I suggested is to maintain that level of "these are the best at influencing", etc. A faeling bonus to charisma and malus to strength would make it easier to be an influencer (and they would be potentially better than anyone else) and harder to do other things for example.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    If the idea is that bards are better at influencing, maybe racial specs for all of the guilds should be looked at to make them all more or less on par with each other, instead of one shining amazing amazing spec race (warbling trill), one red-headed step-child spec (irontongue viscanti) and everything else falling in the middle.

I can hope, can't I? I would trade in my racehat and cameo if viscanti were a better option than they currently are!

I am pretty sure that I remember @Estarra saying that stats are going to primarily be based on class, or at least have class be a stronger factor in what your stats are. 

That was for the old overhaul though, no idea if it's still relevant.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Saran said:

Saesh said:

Saran said:

Hoping for something to let us vary our stats a little...

I have a cameo and a racehat but it's just I suppose frustrating though. 
    As a changeling the other racial bonuses and emotes are what can make a race as well, I'm aware that right now I appear as a faeling but I can't fly or hover etc and anyone that looks at me will know that I'm just wearing a hat. 

I suppose the purpose behind the racial bonus I suggested is to maintain that level of "these are the best at influencing", etc. A faeling bonus to charisma and malus to strength would make it easier to be an influencer (and they would be potentially better than anyone else) and harder to do other things for example.
    Well, at least part of that can be resolved...

o A Locket of Changeling Memories (150 dingbats)
      - With the memories of the Changeling into your head, you may perform any
        racially-restricted emote.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Or, just so what I did and write your own emotes and aliases for them. Granted, you don't get any poses, but eh. Who needs 'em.
  • edited February 2015
    Behold, the slated list of internal afflictions:
    Internal Affs (cured by purity dust)Notes
    AsthmaReplaces blacklung. If there are cases where the important factor of blacklung is the balance loss instead of smoke blocking, replace with scabies instead.
    Paralysis (Done)Replaces ectoplasm (not done), no longer replaces pox.
    Haemophilia
    RigormortisInclusion here may change depending on physical affs
    Scabies
    PoxReplaces sunallergy
    Dysentery 
    Replaces worms
    VomitingReplaces vomiting blood, remove hunger drain, possibly move balance loss from vomiting blood to vomiting.
    Powersap
    SickeningReplaces croatmine, changed to be a general affliction instead of Geo-only. Will cause a level 1 sip malus.
    ------------

Additionally, trembling will be replaced with epilepsy, and weakness with clumsiness.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • edited February 2015
    Ectoplasm won't take any power anymore, probably, at least. Maybe shorter eq time too.

Wait, no more crotamine?

No more crotamine. Huh.
  • @Ieptix When is the Void (replaced by healthleach) and Omen (replaced by achromaticaura) from the steam affs going to happen?
  • I hope the shift comes soon, because right now only Void and Weakness are cured by phlegmatic... and it would be awesome to make more cures obsolete.