Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Well, don't like any of 'em then.
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    edited August 2014
    Why not draw from in-game lore? These sound too foreign, I think. A few of them seem quite a mouthful, too. I dunno. I love words, but I don't like how these ones roll in my mouth(if you get what I mean).

Or maybe we can use completely new names and they can be released through an event(which would then count for their in-game lore). 
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

• Suggestions welcome!
  • what about wittle healing gems named after all those healing gods

Shallite

Menestrium

Dionathys(probably wouldn't work bc of undead ppl but whatevs)

Ilaedrom
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    I like sticking to the temperaments theme
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2014
    I like the realistic or descriptive names we already have. What isn't a real herb, mapped loosely to what they are said to alleviate in real life, is purely descriptive: mending mends, fire inflames, frost cools, liniment is a balm for irritated skin, and so on. If the herb cure is going to be a herbal concoction, why not just call it... 'bitter herbal tincture' or something? I don't see a need to uncoffee everything.

• edited August 2014
    So for simple (and keep in mind we don't can't use the names of existing cures b/c they'll need to exist simultaneously):
    • a clump of curative blend
    • a curative wafer
    • curative salve
    • curative potion

Not fancy but I guess it batches them together.

I was thinking of using the temperaments but thought it looked too awkward:

• a clump of sanguine blend
    • a choleric wafer
    • melancholic salve
    • phlegmatic potion

• Well, instead of using temperaments or buddhism or something, why not use IC geography?

• A pinch of Stewartsville's finest blend (for smoking)
    • An Estelbarian cookie (for eating, and you owe me if this one goes in, @Lyora)
    • Delport's Draught (potion)
    • Angkrag Goo (salve)

That way it actually ties into IG elements instead of OOC elements.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, the temperaments are a bit awkward.

I think it would be cool to have 'generic' versions, with org-specific flavor variations, some of which could be more along the original list's lines. The way that folks in Hallifax cure themselves would be different in the RP, even though it's still a concoction of herbs and whatnot. Perhaps they dry the herbs out and mill them really fine, like macha, to make a really smooth concoction? I can see Gaudiguch literally baking their herbs and smoking them slightly (in the food prep way, not in the toking way) to release their active properties.

EDIT: Haha, Glomdoring! Grow fungus on the cure ingredients, scrape it off and make an extract, VEGEMITE HEALING! That'd work for Gaudi too, it turns out.
  • Taking the qualities of temperaments, we could just be descriptive:
    • a clump of healer's steam blend (warm & moist)
    • a wafer of healer's dust (warm & dry)
    • healer's ice salve (cold & dry)
    • healer's slush potion (cold & moist)

• Or, really, the main 'healer' vernal was Dionamus if we want to replace 'healer'.
    • a clump of dionian steam
    • a wafer of dionian dust
    • dionian ice salve
    • dionian slush potion 

• I don' think we can do org-specific cures. That's a bit much.
  • To be frank, I think every cure having the same descriptive ("dionian") looks rather odd. Granted, my descriptive capacity is rather limited, but I'd rather see something other than just different things of the same brand, so to speak.
  • I rather like steam/dust/ice/slush so trying to mix it up more:

• a clump of soothing steam (smoke to cure spirit afflictions)
    • a wafer of purity dust (eat to cure internal afflictions)
    • restorative ice salve (apply to cure external afflictions)
    • lucidity slush potion (drink to cure mental afflictions)
  • Hmm. Other than mentally trying to figure out how a clump of steam would work, I kinda like it.

• Ssaliss said:
    Hmm. Other than mentally trying to figure out how a clump of steam would work, I kinda like it.
    Well. think of it as an herbal blend called "soothing steam" (not that it's actually steam). Like a tobacco called "apple black" isn't really a black apple, etc.
  • And here my mind was going in the direction of aerogels. Granted, I doubt that would be smokable, considering it won't even burn...
  • Well, see, I don't want to use Dionamus for the cures because the Spire of Dio and literallye verything related ot Dio hurts undead people, so it'd be weird seeing Mag people get healed by it.

Shallah, however, was a healer to the level that just half her Heart being out in Lirangsha is enough to terraform it - somewhere OUTSIDE the Basin of Life, that had got rekt by Kethuru previously - into a lush green land where people can live.

If we go for gods, I nominate Shallah for the namesake of the cures
  • Estarra said:
    I don' think we can do org-specific cures. That's a bit much.

Not just much, but directly goes counter to simple curing systems. Thought is the kinda idea that would be nice for a solo RP game.
  • Ieptix said:
    Maybe. We've had some discussions about having particular afflictions take precedence over the rest, but that's details that'll depend on feedback and our choices of afflictions

It also allows for the admin allowing some affs to be both more or less easier cured (depending on their placement in the 'list').
  • So if I understand, names needed for:

• Curing Salve (apply): cures external physical afflictions (broken limbs, scabies, etc.)
    • Curing Potion (drink): cures internal physical afflictions (dysentery, pox, etc.)
    • Curing Herb (eat): cures mental afflictions (confusion, dementia, etc.)
    • Curing Pipe (smoke): cures spiritual afflictions (aeon, jinx, etc.)

Five Primordial Elements (5 - Pancha Bootham)

1. Earth (prithvi), Prithyi Pill/Tablet/Lozenge/Pellet/Bolus/Pinch/Physic/ConcoctionSpagyric/Samskara/(bladder, actually makes sense as melancholgic was tied to the gall bladder))
    2. Water (neer), Neer Potion
    3. Fire (Theyu), Theya Salve
    4. Air (Vaayu-), Yaayu Blend
    5. Space (Aakaasam), (the four foci)

From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Body_%E2%80%93_96_Constituent_principles_or_Tatwas_of_Siddha_Medicine>

Not overall a fan over wafer which is why that has so many alternatives.

Tincuture doesn't really work because tints are also tinctures.

If you want to echo the qualities, one way would be to use their corresponding seasons.

1. Cold & dry, autumn (Sharad), earth, sanguine (Vital)
    2. Cold & moist, winter (Shishira), water, choleric (Digestive)
    3. Warm & dry, summer (Grishma), fire, melancholic (Retentive)
    4. Warm & moist, spring (Vasanta), air, phlegmatic (Expulsive)

Names of seasons in various languages
      Spring Summer Autumn Winter
    Belorussian viasna leto vosen´ zima
    Bulgarian prolet liato esen zima
    Catalonian primovera estiu tardor ivern, hivern 
    Croatian prolece ljeto jesen zima
    Czech jaro, vesna léto podzim zima
    Dutch lente, voorjaar zomer herfst, najaar winter
    Finnish kevät kesä syksy talvi
    French printemps été automne hiver
    German Frühling Sommer Herbst Winter
    Greek anoixis theros phthinoporon cheimon
      ear  kalokairi    
    Hungarian tavasz nyár osz tél
    Icelandic vor sumar haust vetur
    Irish earrach samhradh fomhar geimhreadh
    Italian primavera estate autumno  inverno
    Latin ver aestas autumnus hiems
    Latvian pavasaris vasar rudens zìema
    Lithuanian pavasaris vasara ruduo ziema
    Polish wiosna lato jesien zima
    Portuguese primavera verão outono inverno
    Romanian primavara vara toamna iarna
    Russian vesna leto  osen´ zima
    Serbian  prolece leto jesen zima
    Slovak jaro  leto jasen zima
    Spanish primavera verano otoño invierno
    Swedish vår sommar höst vinter
    Turkish ilkbahar yaz sonbahar kis
    Ukrainian vesna lito osin´ zima

©2008 Princeton University http://library.princeton.edu/departments/tsd/katmandu/reference/seasons.html

• Complex for the sake of being complex is bad. My eyes crossed reading all of that.
  • Saesh said:
    Complex for the sake of being complex is bad. My eyes crossed reading all of that.
    The qualities have been discussed in this thread. Some of the information is to indicate grouping like:

Air (Vaayu-), Yaayu Blend

or:

Warm & moist, spring (Vasanta), air, phlegmatic (Expulsive)

You may not need the cheat table to know that Warm & Moist is tied to the element of Air and phlegmatic and Spring, but I didn't know that and I doubt I was alone in this. I could have put it in two parts, but if not that what is the unneeded complexity you see?
  • Estarra said:

I rather like steam/dust/ice/slush so trying to mix it up more:

Steingrim, that was amazing! However, I think I'm going to make an executive decision and go with the above.
  • Any rough estimates (as in, weeks or months) before we are able to create these things? Also, what kind of herbal ingredients are you looking at for the above?
  • We'll try to get it out this week. Below is preliminary formulas.

• Created in Herb Skill
        • One each: Weed, Reishi, Rosehips, Horehound, Coltsfoot         
      • Created in Cooking Skill
        • One each: Yarrow, Kombu, Calamus, Colewort, Myrtle
      • Created in alchemy
        • One each: Flax, Sage, Marjoram, Wormwood, Juniper       
      • Created in Alchemy
        • One of each: Arnica, Galingale, Sargassum, Kafe, Pennyroyal   
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    I keep thinking of slush puppies when I read "lucidity slush potion", the irony is those things are more likely to give you brain freeze than cure mental afflictions.

Truthfully I like this, it actually makes use of certain herbs that simply don't have much function right now (weed anyone?)

How will this affect sparkleberry and the occasional sparklefoot nature blessing, can any herb still be blessed for consumption?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• edited August 2014
    Hmm. The immediate question is: Will the wafers be created one at a time, or several at a time? As in, will you essentially need one each of yarrow, kombu, calamus, colewort and myrtle for each time you cure something, or will that batch give enough for, say, ten cures? Same for the clump of steam.

EDIT: I assume the salve and potion will act as they do now, i.e. those ingredients will create one fill (i.e. 50 uses) of that cure.
  • Maybe slushies freeze the ailments out! I know when I get brain freeze, it quickly brings me back to reality!
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited August 2014
    Also this squash of cures is going to free up a lot of space in people's rifts (I know someone will likely ask about what will happen to those who purchased liquid rift expansions) but will there be any conversion of existing cures to the new ones? For example, liniment/sanguine/mending that will all be replaced by ice salve from the looks of things, will they simply be swapped over in people's existing stock?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!