Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    @Trae You forget that myrtle and calamus aren't just used for potions, but are two of the more vital herb cures too.
  • Estarra said:

Regarding the cost of creating wafers, supply & demand should adjust the prices. If it's not worth it, then raise your prices!
    Understood, my concern was more for cost to compete for players. Right now stupidity costs a player 6-7 gold to cure while most potion cures are even less.

From the wiki, all curing potions were 9-10 herbs and I thought made 50/60 sips and can be doubled by use of vials. Isn't that increasing costs by an order of magnatude?

All your other comments, thanks.
  • I have not read the whole thread, but I'd like to say this change is very exciting and might even bring me back to play. Great initiative.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Myrtle and Calamus only grow in swamps, which are few and far between.

I think there's like 5-7 areas with swampland in it, a few of those consist of a couple of rooms. 

seems like something this important would be a bit more readily available by other herbs!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Daganev said:
    I have not read the whole thread, but I'd like to say this change is very exciting and might even bring me back to play. Great initiative.
    We miss you, Dag!
  • +1 good stuff :)
  • Couple minor (I hope) requests:

- Can we add expected balance lines?  AKA the "You eat the wafer"\n<anyline that would go here to show no aff if present>  (prefered we have a line to show no aff for easier failsafing). 

- Add the balance line for each so we can get them in, even if the timers are random, the lines for now would be nice so we can start transition coding. 

- All riftable if they aren't presently.

Slightly larger request:   Do we have a hypothetical list of what you guys are looking at keeping/removing/replacing?  I would like to look at setting up a toggle to change their cure mode so it is an easy swap over.
  • I saw that you mentioned that bonecrushers got new skills. Does this announcement mean that those bone crusher and Bard avatar changes are being scrapped?  Or are they just being ignored until after affliction changes?
  • Estarra said:
    Daganev said:
    I have not read the whole thread, but I'd like to say this change is very exciting and might even bring me back to play. Great initiative.
    We miss you, Dag!
    Thanks! I still have the occasional Lusternia dream :D
  • Daganev said:
    I saw that you mentioned that bonecrushers got new skills. Does this announcement mean that those bone crusher and Bard avatar changes are being scrapped?  Or are they just being ignored until after affliction changes?
    Those changes are being scrapped but bonecrusher (and how warriors work) are still on the table for redesign as we're figuring out the best way to incorporating them into the overhaul while still being able to reduce the number of afflictions.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Apologies for repeating myself on this one, but is there a proposed (if not finalised) list of afflictions that will survive and which are getting cut?

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

edited September 2014
    You know, I'll bet they'll release the list when they're ready to move forward with it, so asking daily for updates probably won't get you anywhere.

Just a hunch

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Estarra said:
    Daganev said:
    I saw that you mentioned that bonecrushers got new skills. Does this announcement mean that those bone crusher and Bard avatar changes are being scrapped?  Or are they just being ignored until after affliction changes?
    Those changes are being scrapped but bonecrusher (and how warriors work) are still on the table for redesign as we're figuring out the best way to incorporating them into the overhaul while still being able to reduce the number of afflictions.
    Thanks!
    This makes me curious and makes me want to have a discussion about what so many different afflictions does for "the system", and what the minimum amount of afflictions and cures should be to still be interesting?  Is that a conversation that is happening somewhere or should I start a thread about it?
  • Sure, can start a thread. But the answer to number of cures is four! BTW, we have 200+ afflictions. I'd definitely like to get that below 100 (though we'll see if that's actually doable in the end).
  • +1 point for Synkarin.
  • Part of what I was wondering, is that if there are 4 cures, and 3 vials, if maybe the number of afflictions should be somewhere in the realm of 35 or less. But I'll start a new thread.
  • It would be exceedingly difficult to get it below 35 afflictions. The core of the issue lies in the volume of "unique" afflictions only one or maybe two classes has access to. Cloudcoils, burn levels, temporary insanity, blacklung, timewarp, daydreaming, narcolepsy, crucified, on and on and on and on. Removing them all, or a large chunk of them, would require rewrites of a lot of class mechanics which is beyond the scope of the overhaul.
  • Okay, so no one's head explodes, here's the mind ailments we are thinking of keeping and which afflictions they'd replace (if any). Again, we wouldn't implement everything at once but probably just release one as a trial balloon (like epilepsy) and if it appears stable then slowly implement a couple more at a time.

Mind (cured by lucidity slush potion)Notes
    Anorexia (can't eat)Change to ONLY prevent eating (not drinking)
    addictionReplaces loneliness, gluttony
    confusionReplaces agoraphobia, amplifyphobia
    impatience Replaces clumsy
    epilepsy
    hallucinationsReplaces claustrophobia
    deadened
    Replaces hypersomnia
    sensitivityReplaces shyness, masochism
    recklessnessReplaces vapors
    stupidityReplaces daydreaming, narcolepsy
    paranoia
    Replaces dizziness, vertigo
  • Can someone remind me the difference between stupidity and confusion?
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    No daydreaming or narcolepsy?
  • Estarra said:
    Okay, so no one's head explodes, here's the mind ailments we are thinking of keeping and which afflictions they'd replace (if any). Again, we wouldn't implement everything at once but probably just release one as a trial balloon (like epilepsy) and if it appears stable then slowly implement a couple more at a time.

Mind (cured by lucidity slush potion)Notes
    sensitivityReplaces shyness, masochism

Thank you for the list.

Sensitivity is one of those skills that seems we could and should do away with. it shouldn't be needed in either 1 vs 1 or group combat. if anything it seems like one of those skills that might make group combat overly simple and less enjoyable to midbies.

I'd suggest rather keeping masochism. Sensitivity feels like something done to yourself, where masochism at least feels like it was on you for not paying attention. It also doesn't seem that sensitivity should be in the category of mental aff.

Also if vapors is going away is blackout? Asking because of the new artifact introduced: o Tear of Shallah (1150cr)- Reduces the effect of stun and blackout on the wearer (20%).
  • Will the "whatcures" and "whatiscuredby" work with the new cures from the get-go, or will that bit only be implemented once all afflictions are done?
  • We'll discuss switching sensitivity with masochism. Good input. Thanks!

Blackout will most likely stay. It's one of those "exceptions" (and they'll be a few of those) that don't have a (normal) cure.

BTW, if it turns out an artifact becomes outdated because of the overhaul, we'll offer full refunds for them.
  • Stupidity will eat commands, as in you will oink or moo instead of performing any action. Confusion will increase your equilibrium recovery time.

Yes, no daydreaming or narcolepsy currently. They are both exclusive to dreamweavers and are not required at the current dreamweaver meta.

I don't have any issue with sensitivity mechanically. Masochism is a "trash" or "filler"  affliction that no one uses on purpose, and we are moving away from those types of afflictions.

Blackout and vapors are different afflictions. Blackout is not going away. I believe vapors AND blackout to be redundant.

I'd also like to note that the replacements are necessarily universal. If they do not work out in a particular scenario, we can work with a different affliction from the list. That will be on a case by case basis.

• Ah, thanks Saesh. I was confusing confusion with amnesia,(cancels your next action) which I notice is missing?
    Sensitivity is absoulutely necessary to keep, some classes only option is to damage people out, which sensitivity increases by 33%. This overhaul may change some of that, but until that happens, sensitivity needs to stick around.

Yes, in groups it's a bonus to damage kill, the #1 kill method in group fights. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Amnesia is another one of those "exceptions" that don't have a cure.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    edited September 2014
    Interesting to see vapors potentially on the chopping block. Considering doing away with blackout altogether?

Also, minor point but I think the only sources of hypersomnia now in the game are an Illuminati/Researcher's random passive afflictors, both of which draw from a large pool of potential afflictions. Don't believe there is any active means of giving it at least. Premature suggestion perhaps, but it could be an affliction that could be outright removed without having to be replaced by any other.

(edit: oh man, I am slow. Ignore blackout question.)
  • We are planning to keep blackout.

Good points on hypersomnia, Ushaara! We'll see if it's only in Illuminati/Researcher skills of pooled passive afflictors and then determine whether they should be replaced or just removed from those pools.
  • I'm okay with Amnesia getting the axe. As Estarra said, it's cure is just the affliction running its course so I beleive it wasn't included. I haven't seen it used since the old old old aeon lock days.

Hypersomnia can go too.