Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• For power uses, I think we need Ushaara and Krackenor to both target Silvanus. If someone kills Silvanus, then we can find out someone we need to lynch. If someone kills Ushaara or Krackenor, well, Silvanus has another day to use another power, maybe even protect himself. 

Falmiis and Sylandra shouldn't target Silvanus, Ushaara, or Krackenor, but aside from that, I don't have concrete suggestions. Sylandra Redirecting Silvanus will be a gamble and it may not even pay off. There is a chance that Sylandra's power won't work on Silvanus, there's a chance that the Mafia will kill Silvanus, and if Sylandra chooses someone else, there's a chance that that person is not using a power. If Sylandra uses her power on Silvanus, it's some chance that it doesn't work and a 50% chance that Silvanus dies. However, if Sylandra looks for other people, there are at least 2 enemies with killing powers. Targeting the people whose powers haven't been claimed (Ssaliss, Ellowyn, Rolsand, Cyna, and Cen), there's a 2/5 chance that she redirects a kill and a 1/5 chance that she redirects a Mafia hit. Also, if she says who's she's going to change her target's target to before, we can all see what effect she Redirected.

If we leave Kiradawea alive so that we can take a look at Silvanus's suggestion, then Falmiis should definitely block her. In that case, we should lynch one of Ellowyn, Rolsand, Cyna, or Cen. Maybe Ssaliss, but he was antagonistic to Ayisdra, so I don't think he's Mafia. Anyway, none of them have offered concrete information, either in terms of a role or the results of a power.
  • Perhaps it is because I am one myself and know that I am town, but I just don't buy this lynch on Kiradawea. I'm a lot more suspicious of Sylandra, who sounds 100% like a third party, and the handful of people who haven't really revealed anything.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    The moment I role claimed I'd look third party, no matter how well or pro-town I played. I'm at least being as forthright as possible! All that aside, can you deny that Kira's power is a problem for town, though? Tell me your reasoning on her.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I will fully admit I am biased towards Sylandra and Ushaara...

But I believe neither of them are town,  I think that is because I modded a game where both were not town. It is hard to conquer my preconceived notions when I was basically in their mind, so we should probably be taking that with a grain of salt, but I thought I should at least air my opinion about those two. Also, Ieptix did say this is a power heavy game, and it seems odd to give Sylandra's powers to a townie. I would not have designed it that way, which leaves me suspect.

I will ask @Falmiis, how exactly do you tie into town? In Ayisdra's role, you can see that the Wyrd was missing, what exactly is it about the Spiritsingers that makes them loyal to Night Vale?

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Alright screw it. Everybody else has put their cards on the table and I don't want to let the team down.

I'm the Apache Tracker and that's part of why I super dislike Kira's power. She's made it so I have nothing useful to contribute.

On N1: I tracked Falmiis (largely due to his performance in our first Werewolf game *shakefist*). He performed no actions. This made me rule him out as a killing role, because we had the hatchet and the mafia kill that night. I'm now prepared to rule him out as a baddie at all, because if we've got two role blocker/role delayer type powers in game, I'm more inclined to believe the latter is bad.

On N2: I tracked Silvanus. I didn't know what to make of the way he reacted to the Lavinya votes, and I've never heard of a Jack of All Trades role, so his power claims felt weird to me. But as you all already know now, he performed no actions. Same deal, this was thanks to Kira.

I've been holding out on saying anything because someone mentioned after Ileein's reveal that the tracker would be a target and I'm a scaredy-butt.
  • I do think aeon sounds like a mafia power, yes, but if it wasn't for the fact that she is a Lusternian would people want still want to lynch her? I don't think so. I feel like so many of us have revealed who we are and what we do while there are some who are just hiding in the shadows, making a comment here or there whenever they're poked and ultimately not contributing anything. Those are who I would rather focus on so that everything is clear.
    Oh, both you and Kira's powers seem untownish.

But yours seem more untownie than Kiradawea's. I can see how Kira's would be useful to town - just assume I'm a Mafioso and attacked tonight, but got delayed. Kira can say that, and someone can roleblock me tonight 

Note, that did not happen, Ushaara got attacked by Ayisdra, and that is why he is going to die tomorrow, ish, right? If I have followed everything correctly.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    The "You" in the above post is a reference to Sylandra.
  • Okay, what I don't like about all of this is that now Cen is saying she tracked me in N1 but saw that I made no action. Ushaara also said he tracked me in N2 and also saw that I made no action. I very clearly made an action, which was to roleblock Sylandra. Whether I did this in N1 or N2 is an argument in semantics, but it doesn't make sense for neither of them seeing me make an action.
    I don't mind drawing suspicion. I'm able to talk more than most townies because of my skill set. If you don't trust me that's useful information for when I inevitably flip later. I'm fully aware I'm playing on borrowed time; I don't expect anyone 100% believes I am town, though I am. That's the irony of this game versus the Los Alamos one. I was a third party who convinced everyone I was town. This game, I'm a town who everyone is convinced is 3rd party. All I can do with that is offer as much information and help as I can until my hour is up. Like I said, I'm playing a long game here.

And to your question Falmiis yes I would still be suspicious of Kira. I was eye balling her before she claimed, and when she did, it cemented my feelings. I think giving her another night is risky.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    And Krackenor I believe had claimed a reviver power and says Ushaara should survive thanks to that. So I would rather risk losing one of the two other Lusternians over him, tbh, until we see how Ushaara turns out.
    Daraius said:
    Falmiis said:
    Okay, what I don't like about all of this is that now Cen is saying she tracked me in N1 but saw that I made no action. Ushaara also said he tracked me in N2 and also saw that I made no action. I very clearly made an action, which was to roleblock Sylandra. Whether I did this in N1 or N2 is an argument in semantics, but it doesn't make sense for neither of them seeing me make an action.

Well it might actually make sense if you look at it as Past!Falmiis taking an action instead of Present!Falmiis. Might be the way it's conceived, idk. Like another version of you from another time. Ties to the Nightvale idea of time travel a la The Traveler.
    Daraius said:
    I am really open to bandwagoning Kiradawea, I am perfectly fine with that scenario.

But I still don't like the idea of an Aronist or Cult going on. Been burned before from them. And Krackenor is highly suspect of that.
    Sure, that's fair. I guess it's a lower priority to me right now, but absolutely that is valid. Arsonists and cults are tricky. What I find interesting is that Ushaara got the idea it might be a reviving power even before Krackenor explicitly said so. I guess what we do is analyze both their play styles after whatever happens...happens. And can see if anything weird ensues. Plus side: only Ushaara has claimed the lichseed. So if it's an arsonist it's a very limited one atm.
    Daraius said:
  • Krackenor is not Mafia. He may be 3rd party, perhaps of cultist leanings, but he is not Mafia. We can conclude that from his 2 confirmed actions: Executing Lavinya and Protecting Ushaara. (This is with Ushaara being Town a given.)

First off, if Ushaara is Town, then Mafia-Krackenor protecting Ushaara makes no sense at all. The only two theories I can think of that would prompt Krackenor to save Ushaara is for him to either be Town (saving a fellow townsperson from likely death) or for him to be a 3rd party that wins by converting everyone alive to undead. Either way, he is not Mafia, but still bears looking into. 

Secondly, there are 2 theories that I can give for Krackenor Executing Lavinya like that. The most compelling theory, but one that loses its power since Krackenor himself did not suggest it, is that the Execution was a requirement for him to use his other, life-saving ability. Maybe there's also a requirement that you can't talk about the first requirement, but his rush to use his power before anyone else could either change their mind or Sylandra could Day-end again would make sense. 

The other theory is that he wanted to use that power as soon as possible, so that he wouldn't appear scummish later. That is also not very convincing, since he could have waited until there was a better target and still used his ability, but there that goes. Of course, if there are other requirements on the use of his ability, like it needs to be done before a certain number of days, or only on the first target, then that would make more sense.

However, if he didn't need to use his Execution, using it as Mafia or 3rd-party makes no logical sense. He would just be drawing a huge target on the face of his group's protector/originator. Even as Town, I'm finding it hard to reason out why he would use that ability at all.
  • Hmm, I missed the part where @Ushaara said he watched Falmiis N2. That's very interesting. As the tracker, I follow the target themselves. As the watcher, maybe they just watch the house? When your action went through on N2, Falmiis, did it state that you left your house and went to Sylandra, or was it done from your home...? Or maybe you didn't need to leave the house because the action *itself* was delayed.

If that doesn't work, then maybe Sylandra's thing about past/future works... I don't know. I find it difficult to believe that Ushaara is lying. He's been pretty darn pro-town by my radar.
  • @Silvanus: I'm not really "loyal to Night Vale" as you put it. I just woke up and found myself in this place and found some natural places that resonate with me here. I just don't have any reason to be hurting town since I don't even belong here.
    Did the Whispering Forest compliment your sweet tunes or something? #JustNightvaleThings
    Daraius said:
    For Rolsand, I'm never going to get a read on him because his posts are like tweets instead of an actual stream of thought. There can be more than 140 characters, but for some reason, all of his thoughts have been condensed to that. It is impossible for me to understand.

Out of the three I am most suspect of, Krackenor, Sylandra and Kiradawea, Krackenor has the least likely Mafia powers in my opinion, but the most likely Cultist power. And it is hard me to not take that out when given the opportunity, but I can understand the reasoning for bandwagoning Kiradawea out.

I would like to hear from Ssaliss and his actions, or of Ushaara's mention, Because two people did die night 1, and Ssaliss was not home. I did not act night 1, Ayisdra probably killed Synkarin, Kira aeoned Falmiis, Krack lichseeded Ushaara, Cen tracked Falmiis, That's a lot of night powers, Rolsand says he doesn't have one, and that's probably true (who knows? I sure as hell don't).

Also, Melali has been super helpful, but we know nothing, and one kill on night 1 has to be accounted for, and whoever the other person on night 1 that killed and didn't kill on night 2 has to be accounted for (Ayisdra poisoned Ush with crotamine, I think on night 2).
    Haha, well. I kind of figured I'd gain suspicion when I power claimed, but I sincerely thought I'd claimed for a good cause! Woopsie daisy.

Anyway, with all this attention on me, it's easy to keep track of my actions and whereabouts if you like, @Silvanus. I've been completely open to that since day 1, when I intentionally drew, well, attention. Cower in terror, etc, and so forth. That was an invitation to dance with me that night, and the next dayphase. I was playing to my role's strengths.

Basically my greatest asset is that I'm hard to kill. Not impossible to kill, mind you, just difficult. If I was a survivor, it would be in my best interests not to give you details on that front; better to leave people guessing, and anxious about trying to off me at any given time. But I'm townie, and I suppose this is my job: to be the badass townie tank, off-set by having a suspicious role name. (And you'll notice I used up my day-ending power in a way that didn't save my skin from a lynch!)

So, you know the limits of my power. You also know I have a mod-confirmed Nightvale role. Do with that what you like.

I'd argue Kira is still the biggest immediate threat because her power, as proven by @Cen, can completely nullify various town powers at the same time over two nightphases. Depending on how Kira flips, we turn to Krackenor to learn how potential cult/arsonist things might go (or possibly me? Silvanus still has a vig power, so offing me tomorrow night isn't out of the question. I don't mind being a sacrificial lamb if that's what it takes to get town going forward; It's a waste in that you'd lose a townie, but it's good in that you can analyze who bandwagoned me most).

I'd also argue the more we power claim, the easier it is for the mafia to make strategic choices at night. We've already put tons out in the open. If we can't make an informed decision based on this for today, then we're lacking in imagination. We can always put pressure on more people tomorrow, especially in light of how today's lynch goes.
    Daraius said:
    To illustrate, Kiradawea's power has affected in total: Ushaara, Falmiis, Cen, and Silvanus. It's made tracking, watching, roleblocking, and investigating all quite difficult to do at night, to the point that it has weighty bearing on who we decide to lynch today ("Can't we just wait until we investigate her tonight?"). And considering Ushaara, Cen, and Silvanus's roles are all more-than-likely pro-Nightvale, Kira has hurt town more than she's helped from where I'm standing.

Anyway I'm off to bed. Poor Kira. When you wake up, know I love you despite mafia tearing us apart. <3
    Daraius said:
  • I'll fite you Syl. =((

And I need to learn to not roleclaim. People always wanna lynch me when I roleclaim. Oh my gawd you gaiz! Sooooo unfair.

Anyway, I am now incredibly suspect of Ushaara, because he says that Falmiis did not do anything last night, but my aeon power should not interfere with motion detection powers in such a way. It delays an action by one night, so if he was actually motion-detecting Falmiis, he should have seen him leave.

Second, I am even more suspect of Sylandra. Notice how the sledge-hammer comes down immediately after I point her out as a likely suspect due to Falmiis' roleblock of her and after Silvanus states that he's going to investigate me. She needs to eliminate me today, because she knows that tomorrow I'll be revealed as town by Silvanus. Sylandra's admission of being incredibly hard to kill, her power to end the day, and, more importantly, her ability to mind control. Yeah, it'd be expected that she'd kill people with her animal rain, but why do that and leave clues when she could just mind-control someone else into doing it. Sylandra is banking on going big, or going home. Because subtility is not gonna work when you're a giant cloud of swirly colours.

There are other errors in her argument. She argues that I've been "pretty harsh" on Krackenor. But my arguments against him today have solely revolved around the fact that he executed her after she offered up a roleclaim without giving her a chance to confirm this roleclaim. Tell me, in what world does this sound "overly harsh".

There's also the argument that my power is damaging for town. But again, she has MIND CONTROL powers. In what world is delaying an action potentially more damaging in the hands of scum than the ability to direct where someone's night action goes? This argument is made both by Sylandra and Melali as a point of note, something I find incredibly odd. A roleblocker is not more dangerous in the hands of scum than the ability to direct actions. This is not something you can argue against.

I also feel I should remind people that my nightly escapades are fully observable by everyone. Everyone I aeon will know that they were aeoned. By revealing myself, I can no longer act surreptitiously. You will always know where I go, and who I act on. I can even decide to sit quietly at home, if that's what you'll prefer.

I also don't like how easily several people buy the "Scum wouldn't act that way" argument regarding Krackenor's behaviour. First, scum can make mistakes of aggression just as well as anyone else. Any argument that relies on "scum wouldn't argue that way" falls flat on its own lack of coherency, if scum wouldn't act suspicious, then clearly suspicious people aren't scum. See the fault in that argument. Secondly, it's dangerous to assume that he's a protector. Keep in mind that he's arguing for a delayed doctoring. One that'll revive you after you die. That's more powerful than the ability of our designated doctor. It'd be absurdly powerful in the hands of town. And even then, if we're assuming that Silvanus is town, we've also got a doctor in him. The jack of all trades tends to include doctoring as one of their powers.

Finally I'll urge caution. With Krackenor's power, everyone but him at 3 votes is liable for a lynch. Only place the third vote on someone if you're certain they're scum.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Sigh, I had my mind pretty much made up until you had to come and make all these reasonable arguments, Kira.

I can't get behind Krackenor being town tbh. He turns people undead, and some of the bits and pieces are a little too convenient. He just happened to use a lichseed on Ushaara when Ushaara just happened to get poisoned, and both abilities just happen to take place the following night? What if Krackenor's target *needs* to die in order to be resurrected with the lichseed? What if Krackenor and Ayisdra were in cahoots? It seems like a pretty damn constricting requirement, but when he can insta-lynch someone at half votes, maybe it's a balancing force.

If we lynch Krackenor, then @Ushaara is pretty much a goner unless @Silvanus can save him, right? But doesn't he already have the lichseed in him? Do we need Krackenor alive to activate it?

There's too much about Krackenor's role that we don't know and he isn't explaining. At least we know what Kira can do. I think maybe Krackenor is the more immediate threat now.
  • Wait a minute...

What if the lichseed works immediately and Ushaara has already been turned undead? Therefore both he and Krackenor know that the poison isn't going to kill him in the next night phase--he may be immune to it now. So Krackenor is playing for time, making it seem like we need to keep him alive or else we lose Ushaara. And Ushaara is claiming his original role but never actually got to watch Falmiis because he was being turned by Krackenor...

Caffeine is an excellent fuel for conspiracy theories, apparently.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Hahaha, I can just picture @Ieptix cackling in glee at the confusion and suspicion in play.

I may miss a point or two in the response below, so if I do just poke.

On the whether I'm pro-town or not suspicion from @Silvanus - all I can say is that I -wish- I was @Sylandra or @Vivet level of tricksy and leading town on a merry dance, but I'm not. I'm just an eager gumshoe.

A small point of correction, just in case it's causing errors in people's timelines. @Krackenor targeted me -last- night, not Night 1. So yes, while I can't rule out the possibility of him being cultist/arsonist, I think it is unlikely. As I said, no one mentioned anything similar happening on Night 1, and so if he was anti-town, the only two people he could have acted on were Synkarin or Ileein, both dead. If it's not a lichseed, I die tonight anyway from the blowgun. Sure, always be sceptical of people, but to me it'd be the worst cultist/arsonist play ever revealing themselves as he did, since right now he'd still be the only cult member.

At this point @Ssaliss is possibly the only person who can confirm my role with a reveal of his night-power, but it may not be in his interest to do so, especially with @Cen revealing he is the tracker, and if you assume that both @Cyna and @Rolsand are town. If you look back to Day 2, you'll see that I did try and point attention his way re. StrexCorp and hedging on the vig alignment before I got focused on @Melali and while the reasoning there is somewhat flimsy, at the time I wasn't prepared to reveal I was the watcher.

Absolutely, being burned by @Sylandra in the Los Alamos game after an elaborate reveal makes any similar elaborate master gameplan from her suspicious, but I'm still working on the assumption she's town. I don't think her masterplan is that, though, and do believe Silvanus is locked in 100% to the investigation of @Kiradawea and that the attempted redirection would fail.

But her powers (if she has been telling the truth) give us a different opportunity of a masterplan, one where @Sylandra plays investigator, since she can target someone she finds suspicious tonight and have them target herself since she'll be deathproof!

I'm convinced by the @Kiradawea is the most dangerous potential mafia logic that people have been putting out there, so as I said, I'm good with changing my vote if/when time comes.

@Silvanus also may not lose his investigation if we lynch her, and be free to act differently tonight, depending on how generous a mod @Ieptix is, since I've been in games where 1-shot powers only take effect if they're successful and trying to investigate someone who's already dead doesn't sound like it'd go through normally to me...

@Melali I'd much prefer to not have a committed plan for who I'm supposed to watch, since it allows mafia/other to maneuver themselves around it, and I then look guilty if I'm not in a position to confirm what I was supposed to have witnessed. Have to leave the mafia guessing as much as possible as to who will be watched/tracked/blocked.

Anyhow, if we work on the assumption that both @Cyna and @Rolsand are town and everyone else is who they say they are, @Ssaliss needs one hell of a convincing claim I think, so I think we should hear that before we solidify a lynching today.
    And also just to point out that just as Ayisdra had two powers (Undetectable, Blowgun), Kiradawea may easily have two powers. That two people have been aeoned just means that she likely wasn't the mafia killer those nights, but a lack of aeoning from her being a good towny and agreeing not to target anyone doesn't automatically mean she's pro-town.
  • I believe that you began the game as town, Ush, but now you're defending Krackenor and have neglected to mention the odd conflicting result you got from watching Falmiis last night phase.

I don't think anyone should act on these suspicions yet, but I think town should be watching you closely from now on.
    What's the conflicting result? Might have missed it in the number of posts I had to catch up on.

But of course I'm defending Krackenor, he gave me a lich seed which on good lore reason is enough to convince me that it does what it says on the tin, i.e. I'll be resurrected, and not that I'll be converted to a cult, since see above - worst cult-leader play ever if that is the case. Sure the rest of you have to keep in mind that it could be a cultist conversion and we're in cahoots, but from my POV nothing I've witnessed suggests that. Absolutely without the lichseeding I would have been 100% on the bandwagon against him for not giving Lavinya time to prove her governor power.
  • N1: I tracked Falmiis. This allows me to discover his target for his night action, however, no action was taken because he was hit with Kira's aeon and delayed a night.

N2: You say you watched Falmiis and saw that he took no action. But this isn't true; he roleblocked Sylandra, which was the action he tried to take on N1 but delayed to the second night.

What's up with that?