Touhou Mafia: Extreme Shrine Makeover Edition

Comments

• (Also questions to be answered. Regarding flavour. Flavour is for flavour. All relevant details should be filtered out and appear underneath the news header.

As a small aside, that goes for any and all role-messages as well. You should all have gotten a small line at the bottom that tells you exactly what the flavour means. If you think your role-message means anything that isn't written on that small bottom line, you're probably wrong.

Furthermore, you will generally only receive results if they're relevant to future behaviour, like eliminations or a loss of vote. These will be obvious come day after all. Anything else would be giving people self-watcher powers. I learned the hard way just how powerful that is for town during the chimaera mafia)
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • Nerf Ssaliss and Siam
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I'm still not sure where these duels are fitting in as a mafia mechanic yet, especially with these forced challenges...

Are you gaining something from these wins, @Ssaliss, rather than them just being a flavorful battling subsystem if the defender can always just set it to an exhibition? Do one or more of us have their powers/win condition tied to duels? Why'd Hat-trick get bolded? Am I jumping at shadows? :?
    (Also appreciate the clarification on flavour vs. definitive!)
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Yeah I'm with you @Ushaara, I don't really get where the duels fit yet. They obviously have some bearing, since we've been introduced to two powers relating to them (the forced duels, and Tremula's claim). But it's hard to know if they have an effect outside the bets that ride on them, which if they come into play could, I think, have a strong influence on the game. But do the exhibition games also work towards something?

Looking at the wiki for my character I can't help but think the names of them would give me away, but I haven't looked through the others to know if they could also fit others. The theme, it confuses me. I will get there eventually!!

• Hat trick got bolded because Ssaliss won three matches in a row and I feel that deserved a little special recognition. There is nothing more to it than that.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    Ah, I will tone down my paranoia accordingly!
  • Later in the game, I think some of the results of the spellcard matches will be really helpful for us. We can pressure someone to wager a no night action, or we can lynch them.
  • Yeah, I'm not crazy about the random battles. At the least it is playing with fire, at the worst I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3rd party who's win condition is winning a certain number of battles.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    @Ssaliss If you would like a wager to occur, what would you prefer? I am disinclined from vote/resiliency, but feel that ability/spellcard are fair game. You might state your preference before I make a declaration.
    Also, wait. Looks like @Tamashi just experienced that strange itch that @Cyndarin felt yesterday. Hmm. So it isn't isolated to just Cyndarin...
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    I heard not a peep last night either, but I didn't take any actions last night, so I could have had a roleblocker, a tracker, two watchers, and Santa Claus visit and I might not have noticed. I do have a power that protects me sometimes, but I don't know if I'm told when it goes off.
  • Luce said:
    I do have a power that protects me sometimes, but I don't know if I'm told when it goes off.
    Why would you say that at this point?
  • Vivet said:
    @Ssaliss If you would like a wager to occur, what would you prefer? I am disinclined from vote/resiliency, but feel that ability/spellcard are fair game. You might state your preference before I make a declaration.
    Either bet works for me, really. Ability, perhaps?
    Ah, I see. Just wanted to be sure.

I accept your challenge, Ssaliss. We shall fight for Ability, and you shall be met by Monkey Climbs the Tree.

• Vivet said:
    Ah, I see. Just wanted to be sure.

I accept your challenge, Ssaliss. We shall fight for Ability, and you shall be met by Monkey Climbs the Tree.

Cuuuute! All I can think of now is Omi from Shaolin Showdown!
    OH cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?
    When satisfied with tormenting me?
    What have I e'er designed, but thou hast crost?
    All that I wished to gain by thee, I've lost:
    From my first infancy, thy spite thou'st shown
    and from my cradle, I've thy malice known...
  • @Weiwae, is there a wager you would want?

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Melali said:
    Do we have any clues as to who to lynch today? The two main people I see are Siam, because of the newspaper thing, and Ileein, because he was blocked last night and we have had no killing. It would be a fantastic coincidence, but it is possible.

Anyway, we don't know anything for sure, but @Ileein and @Siam are more suspicious than everyone else, at least in my opinion.
    Don't want to let this slip by without comment. We seem to be agreeing that the newspaper thing is a less-than-informed opinion, and feels like it was either an investigator's revealing Siam's rolename, or fluff of some kind doing the same (Though I'm not sure which one girl's the shrine maiden.). Ileein being blocked and no one dying might be coincidence or it might not be, but we can easily just block again to confirm.

To add my two cents, I'm not sure I like the hyper-aggressive tossing out of spell duel challenges right out of the gate from Ssaliss, but I don't know if it's hyper-aggressive enough to be suspicious or if I'm just being paranoid.

Weiwae said:
    Luce said:
    I do have a power that protects me sometimes, but I don't know if I'm told when it goes off.
    Why would you say that at this point?
    Because honesty keeps my bacon alive? When I try to be sneaky and lie it always backfires spectacularly. Plus I'm me, if I'm alive for more than three nights, someone is going to get suspicious anyway. Owning this thing early.

I have a power. It protects me under certain conditions. I don't know if I'm told when it fires because it's entirely passive, and Kira JUST got done saying that we only get results if it would change future behavior. 
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    re:@Ileein - we really can't confirm by blocking again. The modus operandi for scum in these games is that one person does the kill each night while the others have alternate abilities. Forecasting a block on him just means someone else does the kill and Ileein just looks innocent.

I'm not saying lynch him, I'm just saying we can't really confirm it at this point unless we lynch him.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Or we block Ileein and mafia doesn't kill to make him look guilty, I know but was hoping they'd call the bluff. And wanted to make sure that @Melali's post didn't go gently into that good night. For other reasons than just agreeing, quite frankly. 

See @Weiwae , this is what I mean about me and being sneaky backfiring.
  • Was that a failed attempt at being sneaky, or are you trying to make us THINK it was a failed attempt at being sneaky?! You sly devil you.
  • Ssaliss challenges Vivet
    After all these rounds of practise, of probing and prodding and gauging any opposition, a real challenge is finally made. Putting all their energy at stake in the match, they each pull out their spellcards. The air between them crackles with energy as Ssaliss makes the first move. "Sacrificial Stratagem!" Immediately familiars scatter wildly from Ssaliss body, exploding into bullets that scatter all across the shrine ground.

"Monkey Climbs the Tree!" Vivet leaps backwards, dropping tiny bullet seeds as she weaves between bullets with grace and ease. When the bullets hit the ground, they grow into massive trees from bullets, which Vivet symbolically "climb" by jumping from branch to branch. Each time she "kicks" of a branch to fly higher, the branch shatters into dozens of small bullets which drift lazily like leaves towards Ssaliss. With so much at stake, the match lasts far longer than any other match. The flurry of red fire and green leaves sway back and forth, to the point that both of them are almost entirely obscured by the bullets. But this is also the one advantage Ssaliss was waiting for. He weaves an unexploded familiar closer, hiding it behind the sparkle and spectacle until Vivet ends up flying a bit too close. At that point the familiar explodes and Vivet cries out in surprise. Distracted, she can't dodge in time when Ssaliss flings yet another familiar at her face. It explodes point blank, and Vivet goes tumbling down. She crashes into the ground hard and groans in pain. Ssaliss is left victorious, and Vivet is left in need of a chair to sit down and relax.

Ssaliss has won the spellcard duel. Vivet is unable to act until dawn on Day 2.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Man, Ssaliss must have a strong set of cards there...
  • I honestly think it's mostly me being the challenger. That gives me a direct +2 strength. I probably managed to randomly pick the right card in Iosion's case somehow.

Compare it to when me and Siam fought yesterday. When I challenged, I won. When he challenged, he won. Also, Iosion beat Siam from a defensive stance, and so did Tremula (and you won against Tremula from a defensive stance).

Do I have strong cards numerically? Well, honestly I have no clue, since I don't even know what the scale is, nor do I know the strength of anyone elses cards.
  • As per earlier post, indicative that he's human and doesn't have strong abilities?
  • Human*, i.e. not a God/dess, fairy, etc.
    Is it supposed to be clear what the type of the spellcards we've seen in play are? I haven't gotten my head around the flavour and writing style to figure out a lot of them. Anyone with more familiarity of theme/games want to say how they've interpreted the typings?

That looked like scatter v scatter to me. Is that right?

• Well, all I'll say at this point is that I'm thinking this duelling is kinda fun :D When the current duels run their course, might toss out a few more challenges...
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    What are the matches today and the win/losses?

My win against Tremula and Siam were both due to type advantage, I think. I noticed what Siam's beamspam was doing and had a card with an edge.
  • Todays matches are... hmm. When did the day change? I think Cyndarin vs Siam was the last one yesterday, right?

If so, it's been:

Me vs. Sylandra (forfeit)
    Me vs. Tremula
    Me vs. Tamashi
    Iosion vs. me
    Me vs. Vivet
    Weiwae vs. Kalaneya (still not confirmed)
    Tamashi vs. Tremula (still not confirmed)