Daily Credits Coming Soon!

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Orael said:
    Deichtine said:
    Orael said:
    We've adjusted how publications count.  They will now add their 'weight' value in points at the time of publication (winning literary/scholarly won't add more points). 

This means one book of 50 weight or 50 books of 1 weight will max it out for the year.

Additionally, the prestige awards are only every other IC year. 

I'm really not sure why it's an issue though, there is nothing stopping orgs from winning both villages/flares/nodes and participating in library/theater/ikon systems to take advantage of both sides. 

Mainly to give balance to the rewards.

The current points are saying that conflict isn't really important to winning the top orgs chart writing books is.

I like that books add to the points I just feel that conflict and other things should also add in a similar manner.
    I don't think that's the case. I think we're offering a system where all players can contribute and participate in.
    Let's say I am not a creative type (so plays/books/designs are out).  Let us also say that no flare ticks on the year and I miss the one revolt / wildnode tick (this is a 12.5 day range, missing two things ticking in that span is very common).  How do I contribute?

It looks like the only option for a non-creative individual to regularly contribute is ikon battles per the first post.

What other options are there?  Counting revolts and flares is very problematic because they are so rare.  The only readily available things on a daily basis really does seem to boil down to creative content or ikon battles.
    Basically that is why people are feeling like this system is cutting out conflict in favour of the other stuff, because anybody (with the inclination) can do the other stuff.  If you have the inclination for conflict stuff, though, it simply does not count except for the 15-60 minutes of a revolt or the 20-60 minutes of an aetherflare or the 90 minutes of a wildnode, and not all of these are guaranteed to even happen in a given year.  About three hours of countable time out of a 12 and a half day time span just is... limited.

Domoths at least happen regularly enough to be something and should be counted (even if the weight is very low due to frequency).
  • I was kinda surprised that the personal stuff doesn't go toward Org as well. I would have thought that the more your Org's members are personally succeeding it would, in some way, trickle upwards to benefit the Org as a whole.
    But that would be unbalanced toward larger or more active Orgs, I imagine. But, well, isn't everything? And one Org getting credits doesn't stop another Org from getting them, does it? I mean, there isn't a total pool we're divvying up, it's not zero sum, right?
    1k max, 700 min I think?  So it is not a huge gulf between top and bottom.

I fully agree that encouraging more is better, especially as winning does not heavily disadvantage the others anyways.
  • Bairloch said:
    I was kinda surprised that the personal stuff doesn't go toward Org as well. I would have thought that the more your Org's members are personally succeeding it would, in some way, trickle upwards to benefit the Org as a whole.
    But that would be unbalanced toward larger or more active Orgs, I imagine. But, well, isn't everything? And one Org getting credits doesn't stop another Org from getting them, does it? I mean, there isn't a total pool we're divvying up, it's not zero sum, right?

Hmm you know I sort of like that idea. Maybe the org gets 1 point for every daily credit you earn. That way your contributing by doing lots of different things.
    Deichtine said:
    Bairloch said:
    I was kinda surprised that the personal stuff doesn't go toward Org as well. I would have thought that the more your Org's members are personally succeeding it would, in some way, trickle upwards to benefit the Org as a whole.

Hmm you know I sort of like that idea. Maybe the org gets 1 point for every daily credit you earn. That way your contributing by doing lots of different things.
    I like this too.  This makes domoths contribute with their tick... but so does everything else too!  Comm quests, regular quests, hunting.  Could even be 1 point per 5 credits earned (so it doesn't just flood out everything else).
  • As long as it maxes out at some point, I'm fine with this idea as well. No need for it to be infinitely scaling.
  • No, we're not going to make daily credits count towards scores. The goal is that every org can compete, not just the one with the most people. 

I understand your point about missing revolts/flares etc. That's a good point. To be honest, I haven't been thinking it as an individual:onetime thing but as the org as a whole and the overall picture. Maybe -you- miss it, but your org will still get points as long as someone participates or they win and you do have a way to contribute. I think it keeps getting ignored that prestige awards are only every other game year. 

The points are going to vary year to year and I think that's good. When the Mountain Wars erupt, you're going to see a lot more points than when Rikenfriez blizzards. Sometimes two bubbles flare and other times three bubbles flare. It's going to vary year to year.

I'll keep in mind the domoth issue for now and will think on it some more. I do think we should see how things shake out, I think a lot of weight is being put on the culture side that maybe doesn't turn out to be as large of an issue as it is being made out to be.

• PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I will be the first to admit that I haven't been paying attention to combat numbers and such, so this might be widely off base, but:

If you want more points for combat, why not add some (presumably capped?) number of points for taking part in or winning arena events? People can initiate them when they have enough fighters around for on-demand combat. Could also automate some. Including freezetag and such in might make it more appealing to casual fighters and lead them in to other formats.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Perhaps a schedule Wargames every 2 hours, or whatever is decided, and so long as at least more than one organization is represented, winning team gets org score points.
  • Orael said:
    No, we're not going to make daily credits count towards scores. The goal is that every org can compete, not just the one with the most people. 

I understand your point about missing revolts/flares etc. That's a good point. To be honest, I haven't been thinking it as an individual:onetime thing but as the org as a whole and the overall picture. Maybe -you- miss it, but your org will still get points as long as someone participates or they win and you do have a way to contribute. I think it keeps getting ignored that prestige awards are only every other game year. 

That's part of the issue. Often they happen when the entire Org is not present.

• Lycidas said:
    Perhaps a schedule Wargames every 2 hours, or whatever is decided, and so long as at least more than one organization is represented, winning team gets org score points.

I really like the idea of more regular wargames. Even if it was just 1 a weave. Maybe on the weave and the winner gets x points.

More stuff is good stuff.
  • Really, to me it sounds like the solution is one that people have been asking for anyways - add more conflict events. Find some way to make those, there have been plenty of ideas over the -years- people have been begging for them. And now you can focus on them, right? I keep hearing that, you don't have to make promos and BS curios and more wondertrash, so you can make systems people actually want to engage in. Then make those conflict events count for org points and individual points and whatever. Then maybe people will be happy that they can actually play the game in the ways they want.
    The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!
  • Different kind of conflict engagements would be good. Battlechess to move the chessboard around more frequently would be nice as an example, a mini-Justice challenge every so often, a mini-Death challenge etc. We could literally turn the big event of Ascension into smaller variations that are hosted more frequently so that more people can compete in different avenues. Because while I and Joe Schmoe might find what is called PvP now-a-days more dull than a spoon, there are those that thrive on it. That can be applied to every aspect of the game's mechanics.
  • Deichtine said:

That's part of the issue. Often they happen when the entire Org is not present.

That's a pretty bold statement. I don't know that it's true.

Stratas said:
    Really, to me it sounds like the solution is one that people have been asking for anyways - add more conflict events. Find some way to make those, there have been plenty of ideas over the -years- people have been begging for them. And now you can focus on them, right? I keep hearing that, you don't have to make promos and BS curios and more wondertrash, so you can make systems people actually want to engage in. Then make those conflict events count for org points and individual points and whatever. Then maybe people will be happy that they can actually play the game in the ways they want.

Right, we'll get on that.

• I guess it depends on how you define the entire Org. There's always people online, even in the lower population Orgs. I find it more rare that -nobody- is online rather than at least one person.
  • You may be surprised Lycidias its pretty common for me to log in to see this:

Currently, there are 1 Commune Members on visible Planes and 0 on other Planes.

Just me :D 

Well that's not nobody! :p
  • Well, but saying "someone" is there doesn't really mean much. I mean, I'm not a combatant. So even if I'm logged on, that's 1 from Gaudi, but we won't be getting anything for me being there. You have to have a certain critical mass to ensure that someone who actually takes part in these mechanics is online from each org. That's definitely not a guaranteed thing. So "the entire Org" really means "all the people actually interested in/capable of taking part from the Org".
  • You could write a book with a ll that quiet....
  • Hence why I wanted a definition of entire Org, because that's not the problem of the game design or imbalance if you do not wish to participate. I'm not a combatant and I still find a meaningful way to have an impact. Find what you enjoy and do it. If you enjoy sitting about and RP'ing a lazy pandaman, do it and enjoy it. But that's not a reason for the game to change because you do not wish to participate.
  • Xenthos said:
    Ha tis nobody at all for hours until I awake!
  • Deichtine said:
    Xenthos said:
    Ha tis nobody at all for hours until I awake!

I think that's every org... I logged in last night and was 1 of 1 online for my org for about 2 hours. There were 6 people total online. Meaning there was only one person for each org(without a gem.)
  • There's a floor to participation to these events. If you have one person in your org, you can't really participate with that one person until you have a critical mass of people. So while it may not be technically correct that NO ONE from a particular org is on when an event is happening, it's substantially correct in that no one from an org is participating because not enough interested folk from an org are on, so few/none participate. 
    Enya said:
    There's a floor to participation to these events. If you have one person in your org, you can't really participate with that one person until you have a critical mass of people. So while it may not be technically correct that NO ONE from a particular org is on when an event is happening, it's substantially correct in that no one from an org is participating because not enough interested folk from an org are on, so few/none participate. 
    I have solo-influenced villages and solo-done flares before.  So it is possible... but that requires other orgs being nearly empty too.

The overall point is a good one!  Just pointing out that it's not always true.
  • And I've done solo flares before, and it is a slog.
    Lycidas said:
    And I've done solo flares before, and it is a slog.
    Using a colossus speeds it up a lot when you have 2 or fewer people.  I try to always put one up.
  • Xenthos said:
    I have solo-influenced villages and solo-done flares before.  So it is possible... but that requires other orgs being nearly empty too.

The overall point is a good one!  Just pointing out that it's not always true.

I almost(?) took Delport alone once (only missed about six nameless denizens on first wave), but that's because I was the only one there for eleven minutes. Just couldn't accomplish anything once everyone else woke up and poured in.

So like, yeah. Theoretically.

• edited February 2019
    I think the general point is. Every org has plenty of time when there isnt a single person on.

Villages, bubbles and flares are very infrequent and bubbles and villages especially its super easy for you(and your entire org) to miss every single one of them for a very long time through pure RNG. 

With domoths out of the picture its going to be very hard to earn conflict points and considering we want to encourage more participation maybe not great you know.

We want more reasons to encourage more people to take part in more aspects of the game.
  • The people that participate in domoth battles are the ones that are interested, and that isn't the majority either. I think the system is fine, domoths give plenty of benefits without adding to even more.