Real World Raves

Comments

• ^_^  Was having a look at one of the local cinema websites for screening times for the new star wars movie (coming out tonight local time) and much to my surprise there was still a few tickets left for the midnight screening - managed to snag one of them for myself *happy dance*
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited December 2015
    Talan said:

Celina said:
    So I've formally applied for the new job. I was talking to my contact with the company and apparently had never bothered to read his email signature, which states "Vice President of Commercial Lending." AKA he's 3 or 4 steps below the CEO of one of the largest banks in the US.

My heart = stopped.
    Not to pee on your parade, but please be aware that banks love the VP title and tend to over-use it a) in lieu of a more appropriate salary (maybe I am making less money, but I am a VP!) b) to give exterior contacts the illusion that they're dealing with someone more important. In fact, this is almost always a middle-management position.

Just... don't be dazzled. Corporate banks treat their employees notoriously poorly. (Run run run away.)
    I'm currently employee of a major corporate bank! It's not bad, sure you get lost in the masses compared to a small company but the health benefits are stellar and they pay a  very comfortable wage. I will say there are misconceptions about "banks" vs financial institutions. The major "banks" cover a lot of areas of business, and how each is more or less autonomous. Universally, commercial banking (as in the bank branches at the corner) all treat their employees terrible and pay nothing because it's an old, outdated line of business struggling to remain relevant. I would never work in commercial banking. The culture of Credit Card or Mortgage or Auto Finance or HR, etc etc etc can all be very different from one another. 

I'm in business to business sales and client relationship management specifically for auto finance. It's a very different world. I don't work with end customers (the public) ever. 

It's not the title VP itself, which there are a lot of, but that he's the VP of Commercial Lending which would mean he's the VP of the auto finance branch of the entire company (auto finance, for the record, tends to be a very small line of business for the "big banks." Chase, BofA, etc etc.

In this case, he's actually 3 or 4 places below the CEO (depending on exactly how their hierarchy works). My current Pres of Financial Services, for example is 1 below the CEO, and then the VP of Auto Finance is two positions below him.

We do overuse the word manager a lot though. 
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    8:30 begins whisky hour(s) for Americans! You know why  ;)
  • edited December 2015
    Just got in from the midnight screening of The Force Awakens.  Too tired to do a review right now, will probably do one tomorrow after I get home from work.  Will be a video review and yes, there WILL be some spoilers in it, so if you plan on seeing the movie, do NOT watch the review.  Or at least I'll probably keep them at the end so I can put a big SPOILER WARNING section so you know when to stop watching.  You have been warned.  The embargo on TFA reviews will have passed by the time I put it up.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • My fundraiser is today.  Oh dear god I'm terrified and I don't even know of what.  HERE GOES NOTHING!!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Do you get to keep the sword?
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    For the first time in about two weeks, I've woken up feeling less sick than I did the night before. Still dizzy, still nauseous, ulcer still being a huge jerk, still recovering from an infection, but able to move around the house, take a shower, and eat a damn meal without it being a production. So hopeful that this means I'm getting better.  [-O<
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    I'm finally figuring out this technology thing. Sure, I had to reinstall Ubuntu after I botched fixing a network driver so badly that I couldn't look up how to fix it, but I got it right the second time. I am inordinately pleased with myself for only breaking things once.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Portius said:
    I'm finally figuring out this technology thing. Sure, I had to reinstall Ubuntu after I botched fixing a network driver so badly that I couldn't look up how to fix it, but I got it right the second time. I am inordinately pleased with myself for only breaking things once.
    Congrats! I botched my first couple of Linux Mint installations because I didn't understand how drive partitioning works, but now that I know what I'm doing, it's easy as pie.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Spent all day tracking a shrew around the house. We finally herded the damn thing out the back door, good riddance. At last, our home is free of the tyranny of shrew. 

I learned today that shrews make really weird noises! The dog was after it and it went off with this insane chirping squeak hiss thing whenever she got close. Shrew, you crazy.
  • All of my support groups for teaching are cancelled for my last day of schelping it about as a paraprofessional. Raves for all the teachers bullshitting it today and giving parties, doing art and generally not giving a rats patootie about making today even remotely serious. Six hours to go then winter break!
    The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • So last night, my college buddies and their ladies, along with myself and my lady, all went to see Star Wars.

Holy shit, that was a very good movie. Y'all need to go see it!

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    I went to Star Wars tonight.

Got back just in time for the event progressing.

Pretty good night.  <3
  • Oh come on! Was it good @Xenthos?
    I thought Star Wars was good, but on the whole, it didn't blow my mind. JJ Abrams suffered from some of the same unwise decisions he made in Star Trek Into Darkness.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

• Like what? I never watched ST Into Darkness. Never been a fan of ST.

I thought the new star wars movie was good. I saw it today. PM me since spoilers.
  • Marcella said:
    Like what? I never watched ST Into Darkness. Never been a fan of ST.

I thought the new star wars movie was good. I saw it today. PM me since spoilers.
    The way it was filmed was definitely similar to both Star Treks. Lots of dynamic shots: zooming, panning, etc. Having the camera turn upside down. Stuff like that.

My only complaint about the movie was how... whimsical it came across at time. Not that humor in a movie in a space opera is a bad thing (heck, C-3PO and R2-D2's sole purpose in the films is to offer comic relief), but there were points where it went too far, IMHO.

Star Trek did the same thing: was needlessly silly at times, even when the situation was quite dire and serious.

I also think Abrams needs to learn where the line between homage and "Oh come on!" is.

• edited December 2015
    Sounds like the direction and script was being played super safe since it was a reboot of the franchise. I can respect that. Edit: as long as it hasn't been turned into the James Bond series where there is a checklist of "bondisms" each movie must adhere to.
  • Somehow my birthday party worked out perfectly.  The restaurant was prepared for us like they said they'd be, I had plenty of room to keep my dog out of the aisles, and the people at the table next to us didn't seem to hate us for being loud.  An acceptable number of people came back to my house and one girl that came owns Cards Against Humanity and all of the expansion packs, so we were playing half the night.  Overall, a good day.

• Everiine said:
    I also think Abrams needs to learn where the line between homage and "Oh come on!" is.

I just remembered Abrams directed Super 8 which had the exact same problem. His blatant and sometimes eyerolling homages to Spielburg alien movies were not enough to sink the movie but they did create jarring changes in tone that caused audience whiplash. "It's a scary alien" (close encounter's tribute). Now it's just in pain and a misunderstood alien (ET tribute scene written to be full of wonder when we learned last scene the alien was doing real bad things to the townspeople).
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I enjoyed the new star wars movie.
  • The Kylo Ren and Han Solo scene disappointed me.
  • That scene made the movie for me because I enjoyed the two-faced dialogue.
  • I don't know why, but the fact that this customer got out of a scam call and got through to us before the scammers got access to their computers is making me happy. (normally I have to deal with a messy aftermath rather than a quick cleanup and telling the remote access program to gtfo)
  • Everything came together really nicely for the holiday. People liked the gifts I got them and the food I cooked. I got some sweet loot, and now it's the weekend. Yay.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!